An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Have Food Neophobia?

PhuturePriest

I suffer from extreme pickiness and have all my life. My mother stopped trying to feed me when I was about 8. I just ate whatever I wanted to, which wasn't hard, because all the food items I ate could be counted on two hands.

No offense to your parents, but that's just really, really poor parenting.  I am unsure of why people think that it's ok to stop teaching a child to enjoy (or at least tolerate) food at a young age, and then religion as a teen, when they "force" the kid into 12 years of traditional education.  The ability to eat is far more important than physics.

No offense to your parents, but that's just really, really poor parenting.  I am unsure of why people think that it's ok to stop teaching a child to enjoy (or at least tolerate) food at a young age, and then religion as a teen, when they "force" the kid into 12 years of traditional education.  The ability to eat is far more important than physics.

That's not just offensive to my parents, it's offensive to me. You should really, really click on the link that FP posted and read the discussion of the condition at the end to relieve yourself of the terrible, horrible ignorance that caused this comment.

I scored 64.

Like curiousing, only my tolerance of some ethnic foods (but even then, super limited) stopped me from maxing out. Trying new foods makes me really really anxious - especially when people put pressure on me to try things. I've improved slightly in the last few years but if I do try something it has to be on my terms and not because someone's making me try it. 

My 'food rules' are very irrational. Often I won't even eat a different brand of something because I just don't know what it tastes like. My favourite food ever is my mother's macaroni cheese - but I absolutely despise all kinds of cheese. Just the smell of cheese...bleh. I also don't like touching foods I wouldn't eat, I won't eat something if it's touched a food I don't like and I don't even like my food being cooked in a pan that has had food I don't like in it (even if it's been washed). I do wonder why my mother hasn't killed me yet. 

Wow, yeah, you ARE phobic. Will you eat melted cheese? I think cheese is vile—but if it's melted, I love it! LOL.

I do feel for the moms with kids like us. Not killing us is the most obvious sign of unconditional love!

That's not just offensive to my parents, it's offensive to me. You should really, really click on the link that FP posted and read the discussion of the condition at the end to relieve yourself of the terrible, horrible ignorance that caused this comment.

Wow, so it's AOK for a parent to let an very, very small child suffer under a disorder, and this is CLEARLY a disorder because oh well?

No, its negligent, just as it would be negligent to tell a kid who had a learning disability that, oh well, you're 8 now and obviously not learning so lets give up on that.

Parents are obligated both morally and by law to ensure that their children are cared for.  Allowing an 8 year old to languish under a disorder is certainly not caring for them.

Wow, so it's AOK for a parent to let an very, very small child suffer under a disorder, and this is CLEARLY a disorder because oh well?

No, its negligent, just as it would be negligent to tell a kid who had a learning disability that, oh well, you're 8 now and obviously not learning so lets give up on that.

Parents are obligated both morally and by law to ensure that their children are cared for.  Allowing an 8 year old to languish under a disorder is certainly not caring for them.

My mother actually took me to psychologists for over 10 years. I never went hungry and have always been perfectly healthy.

It's time for you to stop talking.

My mother actually took me to psychologists for over 10 years. I never went hungry and have always been perfectly healthy.

It's time for you to stop talking.

Apparently not the right ones.   The issue wasn't solved

Apparently not the right ones.   The issue wasn't solved

The issue CAN'T be solved. It's a NEUROLOGICAL problem. READ THE WEBPAGE FP POSTED!

The issue CAN'T be solved. It's a NEUROLOGICAL problem. READ THE WEBPAGE FP POSTED!

Every issue can be solved.  They have cured kids allergies.  You find the right people, the right things it can. 

My husband and I have already agreed that we will be in the eat what's on your plate camp.  People have let these adversions and information go far too long.   Since the dawn of time none of this would of been acceptable....

...you ate what you were fed, if you didn't eat it you finished it later.  Nerodiversity my butt.  I will hapily starve my children into submission.

Edited by blazeingstar

Every issue can be solved.  They have cured kids allergies.  You find the right people, the right things it can. 

As I said, this is ignorance. You think that mothers and psychologists can "solve" autism? I'd like to see you try.

As I said, this is ignorance. You think that mothers and psychologists can "solve" autism? I'd like to see you try.

Not solve, but create a way that children are far more functional in the world.  My first parents chose beating.  And I have to give them credit as I can function.  My second parents had patience and that worked too, but not as well.

PhuturePriest

Wow, yeah, you ARE phobic. Will you eat melted cheese? I think cheese is vile—but if it's melted, I love it! LOL.

I do feel for the moms with kids like us. Not killing us is the most obvious sign of unconditional love!

My mom has always been really great with my sister and I's food disorders. My sister and I only eat a handful of foods, and my mother has been very tolerant and understanding in letting us eat those foods pretty much all of our lives. She did always encourage us (and sometimes force us) to try new foods, but she gave up when we always ended up gagging when we tried them.

PhuturePriest

My husband and I have already agreed that we will be in the eat what's on your plate camp.  People have let these adversions and information go far too long.   Since the dawn of time none of this would of been acceptable....

...you ate what you were fed, if you didn't eat it you finished it later.  Nerodiversity my butt.  I will hapily starve my children into submission.

My brother-in-law's uncle has an incredibly picky child. She'll only eat macaroni and cheese, and chicken strips. She hates every other food. He got fed up and decided to utilize the "Eat what's on your plate or starve" plan. The result was her not eating for four days and him giving in out of fear of being called in by child's services.

There's a difference between you (a person with no neurological disorder concerning this) eating something you don't like, and me (someone who does) eating something I don't like. It's different for us.

My brother-in-law's uncle has an incredibly picky child. She'll only eat macaroni and cheese, and chicken strips. She hates every other food. He got fed up and decided to utilize the "Eat what's on your plate or starve" plan. The result was her not eating for four days and him giving in out of fear of being called in by child's services.

There's a difference between you (a person with no neurological disorder concerning this) eating something you don't like, and me (someone who does) eating something I don't like. It's different for us.

Thankfully I live in a state where child services wouldn't even bother.   If there is food in the house, they won't do anything.   My friend's pre-teen decided to go that route and CPS laughed in her face.

And I don't buy processed food, so that's another way not to have your kid get addicted to garbage.

Every issue can be solved. They have cured kids allergies. You find the right people, the right things it can.

My husband and I have already agreed that we will be in the eat what's on your plate camp. People have let these adversions and information go far too long. Since the dawn of time none of this would of been acceptable....

...you ate what you were fed, if you didn't eat it you finished it later. Nerodiversity my butt. I will hapily starve my children into submission.

I have to chuckle at this. Be prepared for a battle of wills. Kids are very tenacious.

My kids were picky eaters. Our solution was "one bite" and staying at the table until everyone is done and you have KP duties. They are both foodies now, will try anything, but there are certain foods that they have issues with. Notably, foods that we tried to force on them before our enlightenment. Although I tend to agree that some parents over cater to kids whims and enable an unhealthy fear or aversion to new or different foods. It's sad. Food is one of the great adventures in life.

For the love of everything beautiful, why the hell is there the need to pathologize EVERYTHING??!?!?!

Being a picky eater doesn't make you a phobic!!1!!!1

WHY?