An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Have Food Neophobia?

PhuturePriest

Not A Mallard

what-i-if-told-you-you-read-the-top-line

I wasn't responding to that post, I was just saying it in jest. I've never seen The Matrix, and I have no regrets.

Wait, I just got what you're saying here.  You literally read the top line of the picture wrong.

I have to chuckle at this. Be prepared for a battle of wills. Kids are very tenacious.

My kids were picky eaters. Our solution was "one bite" and staying at the table until everyone is done and you have KP duties. They are both foodies now, will try anything, but there are certain foods that they have issues with. Notably, foods that we tried to force on them before our enlightenment. Although I tend to agree that some parents over cater to kids whims and enable an unhealthy fear or aversion to new or different foods. It's sad. Food is one of the great adventures in life.

I am going to do like my friends, they don't offer the kids much more than a few bites of foods.  If the kids want to go on hunger strikes, then so be it.  I am not a part of the 'clean your plate before chores' insomuch as I'm happy to refrigerate any unused portion for a child to return to when their appetite returns.

For the love of everything beautiful, why the hell is there the need to pathologize EVERYTHING??!?!?!

Being a picky eater doesn't make you a phobic!!1!!!1

WHY?

berets are why.

I seriously can't believe the level of ignorance and single mindedness blazeingstar is displaying here.

I used to vomit when my parents tried to get me to eat certain foods. I went to bed very hungry many a night because they tried the "eat whatever's on your plate and that's it" tactic. They didn't "give up" until I was pretty much a teenager, and even then they still fought with me.

Now I'm 27 and well adjusted. I'll eat soups with cabbage, beets, onions, etc. I still won't eat many of those foods stand alone. Some foods it has taken me an incredibly long time to eat based almost purely on the traumatic childhood experiences of being forced to eat various foods.

But hey, my parents sucked, and I'm psychologically impaired and need counseling to get over myself right? Right.....

Different children have different natural personalities, and no single parenting method is a one size fits all. Proper parenting includes the parents adapting to the needs of the child to meet them where they are at.

I seriously can't believe the level of ignorance and single mindedness blazeingstar is displaying here.

I used to vomit when my parents tried to get me to eat certain foods. I went to bed very hungry many a night because they tried the "eat whatever's on your plate and that's it" tactic. They didn't "give up" until I was pretty much a teenager, and even then they still fought with me.

Now I'm 27 and well adjusted. I'll eat soups with cabbage, beets, onions, etc. I still won't eat many of those foods stand alone. Some foods it has taken me an incredibly long time to eat based almost purely on the traumatic childhood experiences of being forced to eat various foods.

But hey, my parents sucked, and I'm psychologically impaired and need counseling to get over myself right? Right.....

Different children have different natural personalities, and no single parenting method is a one size fits all. Proper parenting includes the parents adapting to the needs of the child to meet them where they are at.

Too bad for you.  I will have children that I get to raise how I see fit.  I will cook meals and people will eat what they are served.  Sometimes I cook things that make my husband gag.  He eats it.  My children will be no different.

Wow, yeah, you ARE phobic. Will you eat melted cheese? I think cheese is vile—but if it's melted, I love it! LOL.

I do feel for the moms with kids like us. Not killing us is the most obvious sign of unconditional love!

Melted cheese is also a no. Although I do love parmesan for some reason. 

I do feel very sorry for my poor parents! I've improved slightly as I've gotten older but when I was a kid I was impossible to take to restaurants because they just couldn't grasp my needs. Plain pasta....PLAIN, my mum tried to explain but they always added green bits or butter or something and I instantly rejected it. Luckily now I can usually find one dish I will eat - sometimes literally just the one. I still drive my sister crazy because if she gets the wrong brand I'll refuse to eat it. 

For the love of everything beautiful, why the hell is there the need to pathologize EVERYTHING??!?!?!

Being a picky eater doesn't make you a phobic!!1!!!1

WHY?

No, it doesn't. But there is a difference between a picky eater and a phobic eater. 

Think of your worst fear. Spiders, heights, clowns, dUSt, whatever. That fear, anxiety, stress, panic is exactly what I feel when faced with 90% of foods. I've had tantrums even as a teenager because my mother said "eat this" and I physically cannot make myself do it anymore than I could pick up a tarantula. My parents tried the "eat or you starve" thing and I would just starve. A picky eater would eventually eat out of hunger. A phobic eater wouldn't. Phobias are by nature irrational and it's a very powerful thing. There's a huge difference between picky eating and phobic eating that hasn't been acknowledged much until recently - sadly there's a lot of ignorance and unfair judgement still, as evidenced by some people in this thread. 

No, it doesn't. But there is a difference between a picky eater and a phobic eater. 

Think of your worst fear. Spiders, heights, clowns, dUSt, whatever. That fear, anxiety, stress, panic is exactly what I feel when faced with 90% of foods. I've had tantrums even as a teenager because my mother said "eat this" and I physically cannot make myself do it anymore than I could pick up a tarantula. My parents tried the "eat or you starve" thing and I would just starve. A picky eater would eventually eat out of hunger. A phobic eater wouldn't. Phobias are by nature irrational and it's a very powerful thing. There's a huge difference between picky eating and phobic eating that hasn't been acknowledged much until recently - sadly there's a lot of ignorance and unfair judgement still, as evidenced by some people in this thread. 

All true. When faced with a new food—and ESPECIALLY with pressure from others to try it—my mind says, "[curiousing], just try. Pick it up and just lick it." But my hand will not cooperate. I physically cannot force myself to approach it, though my mind is screaming, "Please, just try! Please!"

Which of course only stresses me out more and makes the whole thing worse. I've started crying (as an adult, in public) under pressure to eat before.

All true. When faced with a new food—and ESPECIALLY with pressure from others to try it—my mind says, "[curiousing], just try. Pick it up and just lick it." But my hand will not cooperate. I physically cannot force myself to approach it, though my mind is screaming, "Please, just try! Please!"

Which of course only stresses me out more and makes the whole thing worse. I've started crying (as an adult, in public) under pressure to eat before.

YES. When people pressure me to try things it's the worst, it just makes it worse. 

I'm glad to discover I'm not the only one who has this!!!

Basilisa Marie

Too bad for you.  I will have children that I get to raise how I see fit.  I will cook meals and people will eat what they are served.  Sometimes I cook things that make my husband gag.  He eats it.  My children will be no different.

I don't know whether to be impressed that your husband loves you enough to eat food that makes him want to throw up in order to make you happy, or confused as to why you'd knowingly serve your husband something that makes him want to gag. 

Though it must be nice to have such a confident perspective of what your future holds. 

I don't know whether to be impressed that your husband loves you enough to eat food that makes him want to throw up in order to make you happy, or confused as to why you'd knowingly serve your husband something that makes him want to gag. 

Though it must be nice to have such a confident perspective of what your future holds. 

He dosn't like to cook, so he eats what I feed him.  He hates squishy things and other random cooking.  I can't magically make everything exactly to his liking so I just cook.  I don't go around catering to him, nor do I cook foods he hates on purpose. 

He married me knowing this.  He dosn't interfere.

I'm saying that I won't change.  My husband has even more ideas and feelings about this than I do, even though he's pickier than me.

Edited by blazeingstar

He dosn't like to cook, so he eats what I feed him.  He hates squishy things and other random cooking.  I can't magically make everything exactly to his liking so I just cook.  I don't go around catering to him, nor do I cook foods he hates on purpose. 

He married me knowing this.  He dosn't interfere.

I'm saying that I won't change.  My husband has even more ideas and feelings about this than I do, even though he's pickier than me.

Interesting attitude.

How so?

Some might argue that openness to change oneself for the sake of one's spouse is an important value in successfully living out the vocation to married life. If I had not been open to changing when needed, I am not sure I would have considered myself properly prepared for marriage.

Some might argue that openness to change oneself for the sake of one's spouse is an important value in successfully living out the vocation to married life. If I had not been open to changing when needed, I am not sure I would have considered myself properly prepared for marriage.

Neither of us changed anything besides addresses.  We scored 97% on the FOCUS test and the priest said we were the most well prepared couple he'd seen in 4-5 decades.  Granted my peers are pretty unprepared....

....but hey, we're married and it's working for us so I have no complaints, nor does he.  So long as I cook and clean and do my stuff and he does the repairs around the house and whatnot, we're both good.  He likes sleeping in the same bed, which I could give or take, and we waited until marriage for the "fun stuff" which I can again, give or take.  It makes him happy so we do. I see marriage as a lifelong roommate deal.  I figure so long as I keep him relativly happy it will be fine he knows I try and thus does not fuss if I do things here and there he does not like.

Neither of us changed anything besides addresses.  We scored 97% on the FOCUS test and the priest said we were the most well prepared couple he'd seen in 4-5 decades.  Granted my peers are pretty unprepared....

....but hey, we're married and it's working for us so I have no complaints, nor does he.  So long as I cook and clean and do my stuff and he does the repairs around the house and whatnot, we're both good.  He likes sleeping in the same bed, which I could give or take, and we waited until marriage for the "fun stuff" which I can again, give or take.  It makes him happy so we do. I see marriage as a lifelong roommate deal.  I figure so long as I keep him relativly happy it will be fine he knows I try and thus does not fuss if I do things here and there he does not like.

Excellent. The both of you are literally perfect in every conceivable way, and should be canonized no later than immediately. I will contact Cardinal Amato post-haste.