An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Have Food Neophobia?

PhuturePriest

Basilisa Marie

When did I ever say we were perfect?  I even said we only scored a 97%, which, mathematically is not perfect.   Or maybe you're doing common core math.  In that case, 100% is perfect, 97% is not. Kapash?  

We've come to a workable conclusion.  One dosn't have to be perfect to do that.  Just saying that I in no way feel unprepared or undeserving of marriage because of my opinions on the matter.

And obvously, much to other poster's chagrin, I am married while they who do everything "perfectly" are not.  Oh well.

Humblebrag, n., v.  

1. Subtly letting others now about how fantastic your life is while undercutting it with a bit of self-effacing humor or "woe is me" gloss.

2. To bring up one's accomplishments in conversation and contextualize them as a harrowing burden or the product of an accident or fluke. 

PhuturePriest

Humblebrag, n., v.  

1. Subtly letting others now about how fantastic your life is while undercutting it with a bit of self-effacing humor or "woe is me" gloss.

2. To bring up one's accomplishments in conversation and contextualize them as a harrowing burden or the product of an accident or fluke. 

I know pretty much everything I say either directly mentions or somehow relates to Harry Potter, but regardless of doing it once again, I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is a perfect example of this. :P

This is ethical pragmatism in a nutshell, and "ethical pragmatism" is just an industrial-sounding name for moral relativism.

So, yes:

...because moral relativism by any name is objectively wrong, according to the Church, every pope who ever lived, Jesus, God, and everyone else worth listening to (including Nihil).

And now I'm really laughing.  What a stretch, you're a funny person curiousing.....glad you're so sure of my fate, its hysterical.  Maybe we should just call you Padre Pio

And now I'm really laughing.  What a stretch, you're a funny person curiousing.....glad you're so sure of my fate, its hysterical.  Maybe we should just call you Padre Pio

The superior and condescending tone of your posts is rude and divisive. I do not find heresy—or you—funny. I think you need to examine your conscience with regard to how you speak to others. You turn every thread you enter into an argument from which you appear to invariably emerge righteous in your own mind.

I have blocked all your posts so that I can no longer see them, and I sincerely hope that the moderators will take action about your tone.

sorry, I didn't mean to be dismissive. I just don't know if it helps for everything to be classified as a disorder. It's also weird to me I guess that it's called a phobia. Are you actually afraid of the food, or of eating the food? Can other people eat those foods around you?

I also wonder how much our society contributes to these disorders. For example, are there people who live in slums that suffer from OCD and contamination fears? I wonder how such a phobia may arise in the case of food, and if there's typically a comorbid disorder involved. I know a bit about psychological disorders.

maybe its classification as a phobia is also weird to me. Doesn't jive with what I've learned about phobias.

Speaking for myself, I am afraid of eating the foods. Other people can eat the foods around me, as long as there is no risk of it touching my food - if a food I don't eat touches my food then it's 'contaminated'. I struggle to touch foods I don't eat - I can do it but it's quite stressful. Again, it makes me feel 'contaminated' somehow. 

While it would be hard to judge the question you pose with the example of slums and OCD since people living in deprived areas would be unlikely to get any professional help/diagnosis, there are some interesting examples of culture-bound syndromes (fan death is a particular favourite of mine). Food issues can come up due to other problems - OCD and ASD come to mind, but that applies more specifically to avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (we do have fun naming these things) than to food neophobia. 

Since I don't have a copy of the DSM V this is from the DSM-IV TR on specific phobias:

A. Marked and persistent fear that is excessive or unreasonable, cued by the presence or anticipation of a 

specific object or situation (e.g., flying, heights, animals, receiving an injection, seeing blood). 
B. Exposure to the phobic stimulus almost invariably provokes an immediate anxiety response, which may take 
the form of a situationally bound or situationally predisposed Panic Attack. Note: In children, the anxiety 
may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, or clinging. 
C. The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or unreasonable. Note: In children, this feature may be 
absent. 
D. The phobic situation(s) is avoided or else is endured with intense anxiety or distress. 
E. The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared situation(s) interferes significantly with the 
person's normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there 
is marked distress about having the phobia. 

That definitely fits how I feel about food, and judging from what others who have shared their experiences it fits theirs too. 

I think it does help for disordered behaviour to be classified as a disorder when, as the above classification says, causes a significant impediment to normal functioning. I can't describe what a relief it was for me when I discovered that food neophobia was a thing - finally I wasn't just a weirdo, there was a reason and a name for this thing that caused me so much distress. Acknowledging and classifying a problem can help treat it. The problem is that there is a tendency for people to put diagnoses on behaviour that is on the normal spectrum. 

http://mealtimehostage.com/2012/11/28/food-neophobia-scale-and-category/

I am a notorious picky eater. I scored a solid 55 on this, and 35 is considered abnormal an/or worrying. I don't have OCD or anything, and I don't have a fear of food or different tastes, I merely hate the taste of most foods. I am willing to try new foods, though, so technically I don't have a phobia, as my sister does. She rarely tries new food out of fear that it will be disgusting.

I got a 10...I think it could have been -10...I used to make money as a kid eating things that other people thought were gross or technically inedible. Real money, anywhere from a nickel to 50 cents.

I got a 10...I think it could have been -10...I used to make money as a kid eating things that other people thought were gross or technically inedible. Real money, anywhere from a nickel to 50 cents.

True story:

My brother in highschool was known as " 5 dollar Joe" for doing/eating anything for $5

Conversation

Mom: I'm so glad you grew out of that 5 dollar Joe phaze

Joe: I know

Mom: I can't believe you would do stuff for money

Joe: yeah doing things for $5 was pretty bad

Mom:  Well I'm glad you don't do that anymore

Joe: wait what?  I do

Mom: You said no more "$5 dollar Joe" on facebook

Joe: Oh yeah, that's because I'm "$10 dollar Joe now"

Mom: You said no more "$5 dollar Joe" on facebook

Joe: Oh yeah, that's because I'm "$10 dollar Joe now"

If there was a market for this kind of talent in my hometown, I definitely would have gone into that; I don't know how I ended up in landscaping.   :cry:

I used to make money as a kid eating things that other people thought were gross or technically inedible.

Not TRULY gross, or living, things, though. Forgot to mention that. :eek:

Not TRULY gross, or living, things, though. Forgot to mention that. :eek:

Oh, well thats why your top billing was only 50cents.  My brother's eaten live garden snakes and even a mouse.

Oh, well thats why your top billing was only 50cents.  My brother's eaten live garden snakes and even a mouse.

Srsly? That should go for at least $25.

Apologies to Phatmass for hijacking the thread with Gross.

PhuturePriest

We must be introduced at some point in time, preferably sooner rather than later.

We must be introduced at some point in time, preferably sooner rather than later.

I can PM you the youtube video that my other brother made of him.  It contains some of the eating and other juvenile highschool things like skating down a set of stairs.

I have to chuckle at this. Be prepared for a battle of wills. Kids are very tenacious.

My kids were picky eaters. Our solution was "one bite" and staying at the table until everyone is done and you have KP duties. They are both foodies now, will try anything, but there are certain foods that they have issues with. Notably, foods that we tried to force on them before our enlightenment. Although I tend to agree that some parents over cater to kids whims and enable an unhealthy fear or aversion to new or different foods. It's sad. Food is one of the great adventures in life.

Our boyo is pretty picky, but I don't think he has any sort of disorder. He just likes things a certain way (and that's his personality). With him, we do ask that he has at least one bite of something new. (We tried sushi the other night, haha!).