An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Weird Vocation Journey

superblue

Well  I made it,  things are of a different feeling now, from going to just visiting to now being a postulant.

I am still adjusting emotionally but i am hopeful that i will settle in quickly , it is hard to say the least mentally and emotionally detaching from the known environment of home to a new environment that is a potential home but with a new family. I have great people surrounding me and i am blessed.

Just feeling really stupidly sad at the moment and i know it will pass. It is my depression is what it is an i hate it... I am reminding myself constantly to give this a real chance and to not count the days on when i can return home for a visit. I am really grateful that i can call and write home any time i want, I know some places don't allow that at all. An at the moment i am focusing on eating smarter and not giving into eating like i normally do when i am stressed out so i am good on that front. The prayer schedule is easy, an so far i am just easing into things with lite house chores.   I am also fighting the thoughts of i have to make this work because i have nothing to return to . It is true an not at the same time i can always go back home , but i would be back in the same boat struggling to survive, where here, i have a purpose.  mind boggling stuff.

An i also have a prayer and personal journal to get started on.

peace out

​I can't believe you snuck in so quietly! I'm glad you made it, and crossing fingers, thumbs, toes, and saying prayers that the transition will go smoothly.

I recognise so much of what you wrote here and it does pass, if you just let yourself experience it :)

I am really proud of you and so glad I have been able to follow this part of your adventure!

thanks for the responses and prayers, and thanks for following me Marigold,  i have realized that for me the very hard times in my life has always been the nights. The days go fairly smooth, being in now the days are really peaceful, the nights are so good too with silence i can finally sleep with out listening to chaos in the neighborhood and etc... but it was that time i spent with my mom that i missed.... i got a good head on my shoulders, so i am taking things in stride, and thankfully i did get to sleep early last night and didn't lay awake, i have some non addictive over the counter sleeping pills i took, and before that when my anxiety an emotions were jacked up i took my anxiety medication which really helped.  

Now i am working on my energy level in general, and my weight.. i haven't begun exercising, because i hate exercising but i have started to try an eat better so i am cutting the amount of food i eat, and skipping desert during one of the meals and my breakfast is simple some fruit and blueberry muffins ( i would be doing better if i skipped the butter but what ever ). Though if i make it through the emotional transition and get into the Novitiate, i will be on an exercise program with another novice who will be entering. That will be okay by me since i wont be exercising alone.  Can you believe i lost 70-80 lbs at one point and then gained it back ! what is even crazier when i got out of basic training from the army ; i weighed  a whopping 165lbs on the nose and my poor mother was crying thinking they starved me to near death.  I have come to accept my weight i don't like it but i know i was never meant to stay at 165 and if i drop this weight, (185 for me is ideal ) to tell ya the truth i would be a bit aggravated cause the time i needed the weight off me was like 5 years ago when i had a chance at dating. Now it's like okay i need to lose weight so i wont be a liability; i guess ? * shrugs *  save that talk for a counselor one day.

And yes i did sneak in quietly even into the Abbey itself, there was no big hurrah just a lot of welcomes and pats on the backs, and some hugs here n there, i have been staying busy with cleaning and just planted an indoor plant kit ( i think it is a lilly of some sort ) and i brought fish pellets cause we have a nice mid sized lake, and the turtles good grief there are to many ! The Koi fish are the ones i am hoping to attract .

My spirits are better today, praying with the brothers is an amesome experience, the silence is beautiful, the food is great, the bed i have is and pillows are amesome. The nights are just tough at the moment , but i have books and journals to work in so that is on tap for tonight.

Thanks again lots of love to you all

Peace

So he is a postulant now?!

Many prayers and blessing.I guess I have not seen this thread in a while.

Hopefully you stay there forever I am sure They love you a lot.....Well....How do you feel?Do you feel at home or what?

Edited by John Paul

yes John, i am a postulant !  It felt like home since day one and still does, i am in good spirits and adjusting to the new life.

Peace.

TheresaThoma

The part about the pillows being amesome made me laugh! Sounds like things are going better for you.

:o)Katherine:o)

Superblue, I am so excited for you and my prayers are with you as you begin this new journey. As you get into the rhythm, sleep will become easier to come by. The planting kits and the fish pellets shows that you are making it your home. I hope that you will continue to update us as time goes on! 

hi J.P/ no i do not wear a postulant habit, dress code for postulants is black pantaloons ( which i just realized did not have to be dress pantaloons ) and a black or white collared shirt ( i have one of each so i alternate ) and we are i guess contemplative, ( cloistered ) we have a seminary on campus bunch of other stuff too an sometimes the benedictine priests here will assist in the area with saying mass when in need or at times be assigned there on some kind of contract i think.  ( still learning )

any beans

My biggest hurdles are slowly being overcome , mainly me learning to be independent of my family; i do miss them, and i keep phone calls short, an i got frustrated when my mom was like okay we gota start spacing our phone calls apart an i was like woa i know but just give me a bit more time.  My pop n i are different, because all of his conversations now are involving repeating himself 15 times on the same topic before he lets anyone get a word in, and then when you do get a word in, he asks 4 more questions on what you just said that he wasnt paying attention too and then gets offended if ya call him out on it. An then if it aint none of that it is a list of all his medical problems. He isn't the same pop i grew up with and it isn't fun to say the least and i could go on a rant as to why he has changed but why bother. Can't change it. so let it go.   So i called my pop today cause it was just time for a weekly call, and i was as patient as i could possibly be. I didn't enjoy the phone call as much as i thought i would, but it was good to hear his voice, and i made sure not to give him my moans and groans because he is just too old to handle em any more and it is time for me to stop complaining well more like stop worrying.

Fun things going on here, I flipped the rope off the pulley for the tower bell, and big deal right, well yeah when people expect to hear a tower bell, and then the next day ya gotta climb  8 flights of rickety steps, breathing in dust, sweating, then ya get to the top two to find no hand rails !  An we didn't even fix the thing right after we got back down ! An i spilled coffee today on my slacks and on the floor so that was fun.  Really though i love it here, i just really wish i didn't have to deal with my anxiety, i can't say i am feeling super depressed because i am not and i don't know if that is due to my medication or what.

k peace out.

Hi again to all.

Tomorrow 5/31/15 is my personal consecration to Our Beloved Mother Mary, through the 33 Days to Morning Glory.

Rather nifty I suppose, to have made this promise and keep it, I retyped out the prayer so i can sign and date it, and i like doing that it is a sign : a physical contract that i can touch, and see, and pray and be like yes this is good, this not just good for me but for others because now my prayers are going to the Blessed Mother for her to do with them for the best possible way to serve the Holy Trinity and or Our Savior.

An looking back I can see how this consecration/devotion has paid off in so many ways and not just by moving me to where I am now.

So this is my small victory to be pleased with, 

other than an update, I am still trying to get it in my head that I am no longer a guest ! It is weird, and another thing a kick in the pantaloons, i had wanted a crucifix for so long to wear, i finally got one from here had it blessed and pretty much wore it ever since, lol i get here and now they are like sorry ya cant wear it !  That and the ranking system, I get it, i appreciate it in this setting and now i am trying to separate it as a negative from my time in the military.  Silly things that make the difference of who signed papers first making one a junior or senior postulant, * shrugs *  you sit over here, i sit over there, an then eating in silence, the work day, doesn't give too much time to get to know anyone.

Everyone though is great, even the ones who make go hmmm / and then when i do start to internally grumble i remind myself not to and to let it go an focus on the good and to ask for help from St. Benedict , my patron saint and others.

Other than that I hope calling home to my mom and dad wont be so bleh next time around.

The time here is like go go go go and then bloop stop, my free time another hurdle i have to face, i try hard to not be online so much and i am not the kind to enjoy the summer heat so i am left to choosing where i go at what time of the day and remembering to try and do something productive daily no matter how little. 

Peace out.

Hang in there, superblue.  I've never been in a monastery/convent, but I do recall that the first YEAR of marriage was the hardest.   It's a big adjustment, no matter where you are.

Bad hour,

I am finally calming down,

But i am not doing good, though i know things will pass. " things " always pass... i had a doctors apt today, and i am new to the area, i printed out a map, and got completely lost, we aren't allowed cell phones so i had no one to call, only to find out when i got back to the abbey ( i get asked like i am new to planet earth, why didn't you take one of the prepaid cell phones) to which i thought ( hmm probably because no one around here tells me anything about anything until i either do something wrong or something like this happens ) and so looking for some sympathy all i get is aww yeah that is aggravating when that happens....

At least i didn't get a speeding ticket, nor in a wreck . ( always have to look on the bright side )

What i could have really used was a hug from my mom or sister... and evidently that luxury will be gone for a good while.

not like i can exactly go around asking for a hug around here.

An then i naively asked one of the brothers ( who is a priest , dont know why that matters ) if he could either give me a ride ( which i was really hoping for but knew that was slim pickings because evidently everyone is some how mysteriously busy yet for some reason i am not ) or help me with a detailed map, his first reaction was to point me to someone else, ( an i am like you have to be kidding ) but my response was someone else was the one who told me to go to you ..... ( insert frustration )

Anybeans, Next Monday is my second try 

I am either calming down out of exhaustion , or because i am safe and back.

OH HERE IS THE KICKER

I am going back to the abbey, and i ended up behind a vehicle, with a sticker on the back window that read 3rd infantry division !

and i am like you got to be bloody kidding me, really ! This was my division when i was in the army back in 97-2000 ! An i am like what is going on, i was surprised i did not self combust or drive off the road at that moment, cause it was like instantly a ton of memories trying to come to the forefront of my mind that i had to immediately throw away into the abyss of where ever they go.

So i am just disappointed in general, tomorrow is a new and better day, luckily i am not in urgent need of medication.

time to persevere. 

TheresaThoma

Long distance hug.  Sounds like it was a very rough day, Prayers for perseverence.

FutureLilSister

I don't mean to be the party-pooper but, you should always be weary of online relationships. Havent you watched catfish? Seriously though you never know how you will interact with a person until you meet them face to face and actually interact with them. Buses are a cheap form of travel, especially if you get tickets some time in advance. I'd try to do both, a come and see and save up to meet the person if both are important to you. Also a lot of prayer is needed to see where God is pulling you towards. Ultimately it should be His decision.