An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Theory On Drugs

MarysLittleFlower

Archaeology cat

I've never smoked it. The people I've personally known who've smoked it fall into two categories: there were those who smoked at parties to get high, and those who smoked a little to relax/unwind after a long day. Actually, there's a third category, too, as I know a lot of people with cyclic vomiting syndrome who smoke it as a preventative against vomiting episodes, or to stop an episode once it happens, as it supposedly works better and with fewer side effects than the other meds prescribed for it.

Really, though, it sounds a lot like those I know who drink: some drink for the purpose of getting drunk, but most drink in a social setting to unwind/relax, or just because it tastes good. Sure, I'd like to see studies, but I know those are hard to come by, for the reasons Ice said. But I don't see anything inherently wrong with smoking a little when the intent isn't about getting high. And I agree with Winchester on why it shouldn't be criminalized. 

MarysLittleFlower

I get nervous too but I just have some calming tea :) or herbs that don't do anything except help to sleep.

I think I have a difficulty with having marijuana to enhance experiences. Does anyone see what I mean? It goes back to the pleasure seeking I wrote about on the last page... I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy anything but rather that other things we enjoy have another primary purpose to them and once we have them only for enjoyment it turns to gluttony. So with this... I personally have no need of it. Good movies are interesting enough without weed. I think it can be dangerous seeking more and more intense experiences. We could use the time to grow in holiness or do our duties instead. I'm just saying very directly what has always bothered me about these things. So far it seems people don't really share my opinion, don't know if I'm right, but this argument seems significant to me personally.

I read a priest's article on difference between recreation and entertainment... We live in such an entertainmemt oriented culture and surrounded by visual and auditory stimuli all the time, personally I'd much rather limit them instead of making them even more intense. Why do we seek more and more intense experiences? Focusing on the exprerience doesn't seem right to me.

Peace be with you Ice_nine,

also I don't mean to scandalize anyone. don't use drugs if it's against your conscience. I don't anymore, just sharing my experience for those interested.

Could the MJ have been contributing to your anxiety?

Smoking 50 or more joints before the age of 18, triples the chance of developing schizophrenia. That's just cold research. My adopted son almost killed a man while on nothing more than pot. He's been clean for 18 months now. Partly out of fear of what he might do.

Smoking 50 or more joints before the age of 18, triples the chance of developing schizophrenia. That's just cold research. My adopted son almost killed a man while on nothing more than pot. He's been clean for 18 months now. Partly out of fear of what he might do.

If I remember correctly that is not established as a causal relationship.

Peace be with you Ice_nine,

Could the MJ have been contributing to your anxiety?

Unlikely. I've had symptoms of anxiety and obsessive-compulsive tendencies  since I was child. Couple that with depression that hit around puberty and got progressively worse til about age 19 when I went on anti-depressants which really did the trick. On a scale from 1-10 my anxiety/depression was about an 11 and now it's down significantly although it's still there it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I didn't even touch weed until I was about 21. and the last time I smoked was over a year ago. I honestly think it helped with anxiety but I know it makes it worse for some people.

I get nervous too but I just have some calming tea :) or herbs that don't do anything except help to sleep.

I think I have a difficulty with having marijuana to enhance experiences. Does anyone see what I mean? It goes back to the pleasure seeking I wrote about on the last page... I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy anything but rather that other things we enjoy have another primary purpose to them and once we have them only for enjoyment it turns to gluttony. So with this... I personally have no need of it. Good movies are interesting enough without weed. I think it can be dangerous seeking more and more intense experiences. We could use the time to grow in holiness or do our duties instead. I'm just saying very directly what has always bothered me about these things. So far it seems people don't really share my opinion, don't know if I'm right, but this argument seems significant to me personally.

I read a priest's article on difference between recreation and entertainment... We live in such an entertainmemt oriented culture and surrounded by visual and auditory stimuli all the time, personally I'd much rather limit them instead of making them even more intense. Why do we seek more and more intense experiences? Focusing on the exprerience doesn't seem right to me.

I love tea, unfortunately it's not quite as strong. Doesn't really do the trick.

First off let me say I respect your beliefs. I used to more or less share them but I still find them respectable. I think often times there is not enough sobriety in our culture, not in the sense of too much drug use, but in the sense that almost everything is a joke and having fun/being entertained becomes the top priority.

I don't quite agree that doing something solely for enjoyment is automatically akin to gluttony. You have to explain better how you reach that conclusion. I mean if you have a drink simply to enjoy it, you could stretch it and say "well it has nutrients" but I mean we're not talking about kale and carrots here. Additionally are you against going on roller coasters? I see no deeper purpose to them except to get an adrenaline rush. Taking a warm bath, you can say you're cleaning yourself but you're really sitting in a pool of your own filth. Playing video games?

What about people who say drinking alcohol enhances the flavor of a meal? Is that bad? I don't know how it works I'm not that good at pairing wines and cheeses but it is a type of enhancement.

I think these things used for solely for enjoyment aren't wrong in and of themselves, although when they are taken to excess or given priority then sure it becomes an issue. You are probably wise to limit your intake of media and the onslaught of stimuli. Good for you. I've tried to cut back with not so much success.

Also, (please note I'm not trying to be self-absorbed but I'm just talking about my experiences. I don't expect many people to be interested) I thought that getting a high and then watching funny movies was a waste of weed and a waste of my time. I didn't want to sit there and laugh at a screen for hours. It just felt wrong. I'd rather watch or read something with more depth and ponder the totes srs questions. Or I'd rather just hang out and get real face time with people. Social bonding and all that.

Oremus Pro Invicem

After injecting just one pot, Adolf Hitler decided to start world war 2.

While it wasn't pot, there is evidence that Hitler did have a hidden drug habit. It appears he was a fan of crystal meth, or in Pinkman speak, Holocaust b!^€h!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/10/14/hitler-drugs-crystal-meth/17242185/

Altered states of consciousness are a traditional way of having spiritual experiences because they open you up to different ways of perceiving the world. Modern recreational drug use is not the only kind.

If I remember correctly that is not established as a causal relationship.

Nope. Hard core science with a really big sample pool.

Do you have any links? Not that I doubt you, I'm just interested to see actual science concerning this.

This being the wider subject of marijuana use. Edited by Amppax

Nope as in you agree that it is not established as a causal relationship, or nope as in nope it is not not established as a causal relationship?

After injecting just one pot, Adolf Hitler decided to start world war 2.

Whatever drug hitler was on he killed around 11 million people during his talk about buzz-kill Edited by little2add