An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Theory On Drugs

MarysLittleFlower

AccountDeleted

I never said you can't get drunk off weak wine, and I understand your point about mixing strong wine with dirty water when you have not enough fuel to boil water, and yeah I guess it's possible that they did but it is still more an urban myth as far as I'm aware than a solid fact, and also an excuse to continue to abuse alcohol within the church. I'm not saying don't drink alcohol but don't use the excuse that the Israelis used to mix there dirty water with strong wine, your water is not dirty. And did you know that there is a little well known verse in the O.T that says pray for rain in spring and water, best time for fruit trees I think, good ripening sun in​ summer and mild winters, when there are less clouds about, may have had something to do with the grapes and a law of man, though for a catholic Christian grapes are very important for the blood of Christ and perhaps it is not a law of man at all. :)

​Tab, you have a problem with alcohol abuse but not everyone does. A lot of us can have a glass of wine or a beer and not feel a need to drink until we are drunk. God made wine to cheer man's heart - it says so in the Bible. He didn't just make it to substitute for water. He wanted to 'cheer' us. Maybe that's why we say 'cheers' when we make a toast. Alcohol is not evil - abusing it is. But not everyone has that problem. It is a real cross to be an alcoholic but that doesn't mean that everyone needs to give up alcohol.

Archaeology cat

I certainly wouldn't say knowing the history of alcohol is an excuse to abuse it. Perhaps some use it in that way, but that is neither the norm nor the intent, which is part of what I tried, and failed, to convey. If you look over the course of history, over all the world, people have drunk alcohol socially, sometimes instead of water or just in addition to it, even for nutrition and health (eg: the Egyptians included beer in the grain ration for the workers; and the health benefits of some alcoholic beverages when enjoyed in moderation). If a person cannot have even one drink without being tempted to abuse it, then, by all means, it is best to abstain completely. One of my family members is a recovered alcoholic and, even with being sober over 20 years, will not have even a sip now so as not to be tempted. I think that's great for him. I have never felt such a temptation, though, as I despise feeling out of control, so 1-2 drinks is my absolute limit at any time. 

Hmm I guess I've never felt out of control when I've been drunk...more just loopy and then I fell asleep.

it's different for everyone and my personal experience has no weight on my thoughts of its morality but it's just an interesting think for me to think on. Maybe i haven't been drunk enough? Haha

AccountDeleted

Hmm I guess I've never felt out of control when I've been drunk...more just loopy and then I fell asleep.

it's different for everyone and my personal experience has no weight on my thoughts of its morality but it's just an interesting think for me to think on. Maybe i haven't been drunk enough? Haha

​Actually I get very sleepy when I drink alcohol too! I am a happy drunk though but I don't like getting too drunk because the next day I feel tired and sick and wishing I hadn't done it. I much prefer just to have a glass or two of wine and leave it at that.

​Not always true. Besides the Biblical examples of Noah and Lot, there are lots of ancient examples of people drinking to get drunk. Look at some Greek painted pottery. 

Fun fact: part of the grain ration for the pyramid builders was beer. Another fun fact: we have written records from some of the work villages, including work rosters and such. There's definitely an example of someone not coming in to work because he was drunk. 

Anacreon had a reputation as a composer of hymns, as well as of those bacchanalian and amatory lyrics which are commonly associated with his name. Two short hymns to Artemis and Dionysus, consisting of eight and eleven lines respectively, stand first amongst his few undisputed remains, as printed by recent editors. But hymns, especially when addressed to such deities as AphroditeEros and Dionysus, are not so very unlike what we call "Anacreontic" poetry as to make the contrast of style as great as the word might seem to imply. The tone of Anacreon's lyric effusions has probably led to an unjust estimate, by both ancients and moderns, of the poet's personal character. The "triple worship" of the Muses, Wine and Love, ascribed to him as his religion in an old Greek epigram,[5] may have been as purely professional in the two last cases as in the first, and his private character on such points was probably neither much better nor worse than that of his contemporaries. Athenaeusremarks acutely that he seems at least to have been sober when he wrote. His character was an issue, because, according to Pausanias, his statue on the Acropolis of Athens depicts him as drunk.[6] He himself strongly repudiates, as Horace does, the brutal characteristics of intoxication as fit only for barbarians andScythians.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacreon

MarysLittleFlower

To clarify, I never said (or meant to say) that pleasure is a sin. I meant that seeking pleasure for its own sake is not a perfect approach. For example the Saints sought God's Will, not pleasure, even if something was in fact an enjoyment.

I just wanted to say one last thing. I'm against drug use. I've been reading about dmt lately and watching videos on it. It opens doors to the spiritual world. I would never try it. Just like in my 33 years I never tried lsd or drugs like that. I haven't drank in 18 months and I will no longer comment on marijuana. After thinking on this a lot lately I feel as if someone should only use if they have a medical card. If it's legal somewhere they will have to figure that out. I firmly believe as the Bible says we should stay sober because the devil is out to destroy us. I was also reminded of these scriptures tonight. God bless.

•Anyone who loves another brother or sister is living in the light and does not cause others to stumble. 1 John 2:10

•It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall. Romans 14:21

Some religions, yes, as in shamanism. In my experience trance like states are dangerous and open one up to the influences of the occult. Catholicism rightly teaches that perfection lies in the will and not in any state of altered consciousness.

Been learning about dmt. It's produced in our bodies. It's the strongest psychedelic drug out there. The experience is on the same level of a nde (near death experience). Atheist who do it tend to question if other dimensions really exist after its over. Dmt is called the spirit molocule. Users go in a trance. All experiences seem to lead to meeting gods, aliens, super beings with a higher conscious aka the occult.

Been learning about dmt. It's produced in our bodies. It's the strongest psychedelic drug out there. The experience is on the same level of a nde (near death experience). Atheist who do it tend to question if other dimensions really exist after its over. Dmt is called the spirit molocule. Users go in a trance. All experiences seem to lead to meeting gods, aliens, super beings with a higher conscious aka the occult.

Taking such a powerful psychedelic poison like Dmt is crazy-and- stupid

Taking such a powerful psychedelic poison like Dmt is crazy-and- stupid

​It's obvious that DMT isn't inherently a poisonous substance. It's produced and processed by the body. There could be a point at which levels could prove harmful in some way.

​It's obvious that DMT isn't inherently a poisonous substance. It's produced and processed by the body. There could be a point at which levels could prove harmful in some way.

​ya think

That's right 

​And my point is that you're wrong. It's not inherently poisonous. Not in any sense of the word. You might as well call glucose a poison.

"If a drug has an effect on the brain, it is harming the brain. Science has not found or synthesized any psychoactive substances that improve normal brain function. Instead, all of them impair brain function. ... 

DMT is poisonous to the human mind