An Old School Catholic Message Board

Welcome to the upgraded phorum

dUSt

franciscanheart

​Top Contributors are the ones who get propped the most. I think it's a better indication of "contribution" than say, a person who just posts a lot but never actually says anything, haha.

Sounds like a good idea jn theory until you do the math (including accounting for how many stupid props are given out each day).

franciscanheart

​I'm just trying to clear up what the potential problem is. The posts I read suggested that when a Mediator of Meh opens a user's profile he/she can see the email address attached to every user's account, even if the user has chosen not to make their email address visible to regular users. Personally, I can live with Mediators of Meh being able to see my email address, as long as regular users can't see it. (Although I'd prefer it if my private email address wasn't so easily visible to Mediators of Meh.)

I haven't seen any posts about Mediators of Meh being able to see/read Private Messages (PMs). The only time I saw the word "private" used was in the phrase "private email address." I read that to mean that the user's (private) email address is visible to the Mediators of Meh, even if the user has chosen the option to not make their (private) email address visible to regular users. I haven't seen any posts related to Private Messages (PMs)--but then, I could have missed something.

You don't rub elbows with the right people. Hopefully it's being handled. It's Friday night and I'm waiting for my toe nails to dry. I'll check back Monday.

IgnatiusofLoyola

You're right, franciscanheart--obviously I was "out of the loop." At the time I made my earlier post, I had not heard about the privacy issues with Private Messages. Now I've read that dUSt has shut down PM's until the problem can be fixed. Although I'm sorry PM's have been shut down, I'm glad the issue is being addressed.

AccountDeleted

You're right, franciscanheart--obviously I was "out of the loop." At the time I made my earlier post, I had not heard about the privacy issues with Private Messages. Now I've read that dUSt has shut down PM's until the problem can be fixed. Although I'm sorry PM's have been shut down, I'm glad the issue is being addressed.

​Iggy - I didn't know what they were referencing either until dUSt posted about the PM privacy being breached in another thread. I'm glad he did this because it's bad enough to have your personal messages being available for others to read without being ignorant of the fact as well, and perhaps continuing to send PMs! I had just activated my messenger again after many months with it turned off, just so I could send a private and personal message to someone. Then I saw the thread that said the PMs were being redirected to Mediators of Meh who could read them. I forget the word that Lillibettt posted in the other thread, but yes, it felt really like that (my word is 'yucchy'). 

At least with the PMs being shut down until the matter is fixed, no one is accidentally sending PMs that can be read by others. To some people it might not matter because they use social media to talk about every aspect of their lives and PMs might be like personal chat but I am a privacy freak these days and the whole idea of someone else intercepting my personal correspondence is very disturbing - like my computer being hacked. I probably won't use PM in future even when it comes back (or will only use it to exchange emails with someone). I don't use yahoo mail or hotmail or IE anymore because they have been compromised in the past and once confidence is lost, it's hard to get it back, even when things are back to normal. Maybe it's a generation thing, caring about privacy, I just don't know. I know dUSt reacted quickly and is doing all he can - kudos for that.These things happen online. 

BarbTherese

Have not been able to get past that jolly 404 Message for days and no matter what I did including deleting browsing history.  Finally I think I might have it beat if this posts ok - I use a laptop and have a "Guest" facility.  So I logged into "Guest", deleted my browsing history and hopefully here I am at last.

dUSt, I hope you catch up with this post.

Nihil Obstat

Tiny little complaint. Many of the formatting buttons I am used to seem to be gone. Especially that button that flips you to plaintext. Can those be manually enabled?

Tiny little complaint. Many of the formatting buttons I am used to seem to be gone. Especially that button that flips you to plaintext. Can those be manually enabled?

​I just took that out today. I'll add back.

Nihil Obstat

I like the plaintext button, and the colour button was good for avoiding the dumber fiddlers. But mostly the plaintext button was good for removing stray code tags that were ruining your formatting.

AccountDeleted

Also, did 'preview' of a post disappear? I didn't see it last time I posted.

Another thing, when I checked out New Content and viewed a topic, I tried to backup and it told me not to use the Search function for another 17 seconds. We can't back up in that section? Just curious.

This version of the software is very new so I anticipate there will be some bugs here and there. We'll work them all out. If it's not something I can fix in the settings I'll try to get an answer from the developers.

Edited by dUSt

Nihil Obstat

How's that post conversion going? I noticed my post count dropped by a few hundred, and was wondering if it's related.

hoosieranna

The new format looks really good.  How do I change my "display name" back to my username?  I'm attached to it.  I tried editing my profile but it didn't seem to be one of the options.

Maybe this has already been mentioned (I haven't read the whole thread), but I tried dragging a photo into the "Drag files here to attach..." bar at the bottom of the text box, and it kept telling me I couldn't add images over 51 kb. Which is really small. But still, I shrunk the image down to 34 kb, and still got that error.

I hope this can be fixed, cuz to drag and drop images into Phatmass would be true bliss (as well as an all-out unicorn blitz).