An Old School Catholic Message Board

If marijuana is legal is it moral?

Not A Real Name

While I like both articles I enjoyed reading Fr. Z response to the question.  I think reading the comments is also very interesting since some who are Dr. are very against smoking marijuana.

All in all I asked my parish priest about recreational use and he said, "just stay away from it and to offer this up to make reperation to the Sacred Heart for all of the indulgence our culture promotes even to the point of offering babies up to death in the name of convenience, comfortable living, and economic stability."

Plus he asked me to mediate and ask myself "what would weed do for me in my relationship with Jesus Christ according to His commandments and His Church's doctrines", and if I've used "what had weed done for me in this regard."  I took his advice and came to the conclusion that weed doesn't provide any benefit to me in that area.

Legality doesnt have much to do with morality. Fr Z's response is pretty lacking and seems like a very superficial answer. 

Not A Real Name

Legality doesnt have much to do with morality. Fr Z's response is pretty lacking and seems like a very superficial answer. 

Maybe you could expound on why it's superficial? If I'm not mistaken Fr. Z's response left it open for persons such as yourself who disagree to give your reasons for why you disagree.  

wouldn't a similar analogy be, if It is legal for homosexuals to marry, is it morally okay ?

Just think about how much money was spent on advertising against marijuana back in the day, an working to prevent kids from getting high,  yet, laws pass to legalize marijuana on a state level, an there is a quick hurrah about it, an then back to the anti cigarette campaigns.

http://www.thetruth.com/

So don't smoke tobacco , and sue the snot out of the tobacco industry if you get lung cancer , but feel free to use Marijuana, but don't cry if your employer fires you if you pop up hot on a test.

Maybe you could expound on why it's superficial? If I'm not mistaken Fr. Z's response left it open for persons such as yourself who disagree to give your reasons for why you disagree.  

I think his arguments about marijuana being immoral because it "dulls the senses" where alcohol is moral (not in excess) because it doesnt is a really cheap, simplistic, and (dare I say) an uneducated argument. When I hear people use that argument I automatically assume they really dont know what their talking about. 

There is a lot more depth to the conversation than what he is implying. For instance, maybe (just maybe) he would have a point if a) people only used marijuana recreationally, and b) if any concentration of marijuana resulted in dulling of the senses.

But we know that neither of those cases are true. People use marijuana for medicinal purposes and in fact, you can selectively grow certain strains to omit the production of THC which would not result in a high. He doesnt appear to be knowledgeable of any of this which is why I question his stance and reasons for his stance.

A sin is something that interferes with our relationship with God. It would appear since you are talking about this subject non-stop that you are looking for permission. You won't get that from me, but you don't need my permission to do what you want. 

A sin is something that interferes with our relationship with God. It would appear since you are talking about this subject non-stop that you are looking for permission. You won't get that from me, but you don't need my permission to do what you want. 

I'm not talking about this non-stop. There were two threads started recently on this subject that I did not start. The first thread I barely commented in. The second thread I bit the bait. I regret it. I started this thread in response to the other two I didn't start. Also thought it was interesting hearing two Priest perspectives. Trust me I'm not looking for permission. I think it's better not to even talk about. Others brought up the topic so I participated. 

I don't think it's immoral, so if I were to smoke it I would not be sinning.

That's how I see it. Although I'm conscious it could scandalize others so I try not to talk about it. I may change this to never talking about it.

I'm not talking about this non-stop. There were two threads started recently on this subject that I did not start. The first thread I barely commented in. The second thread I bit the bait. I regret it. I started this thread in response to the other two I didn't start. Also thought it was interesting hearing two Priest perspectives. Trust me I'm not looking for permission. I think it's better not to even talk about. Others brought up the topic so I participated. 

​I always appreciate what CatherineM has to say, but I know on this topic she has very strict views. Dont let her shame you into thinking that it is wrong; I do not approve of the judgmental attitude held by prohibition supporters and I think her comment was more of a personal attack than a meaningful addition to the conversation. 

I whole heartedly believe it's wrong for the person who's conscious tells them it's wrong. So that's why in the future I won't even comment on it. I'm just setting myself up to be stoned to death. (no pun intended)