An Old School Catholic Message Board

If marijuana is legal is it moral?

Nihil Obstat

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!

Lilllabettt

me too which is why its called a Protestant work ethic. 

p.s. although Ratzinger abstained from alcohol for the reason given previously (maybe he drinks now that he is retired) he did like OJ for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Vitamin C is a great eye opener.  

Abortion is legal.  Does that make it moral?

no?

The main contention used to be that weed was automatically immoral because it was against the law. People didn't have to really address whether or not the actual use of the substance was in itself immoral, but since it's becoming legal in many places some sort of convoluted "but it's against the 4th commandment!" no longer applies.

No one here, and I mean absolutely no one I've ever met on phatmass, from Catholics to atheists, uses secular law as a moral compass, so why would you ask this question?

Abortion is legal.  Does that make it moral?

​Praying is legal. Does that make it moral?

Leaving a car parked in front of your house after the inspection sticker expires is illegal. Does that make it immoral?

Lilllabettt

is the law unjust or not unjust?

Breaking a silly law is immoral, unless it is unjust and not merely ridiculous. 

Catechism of The Catholic Church #2291

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

No one here, and I mean absolutely no one I've ever met on phatmass, from Catholics to atheists, uses secular law as a moral compass, so why would you ask this question?

​Because that is how the title of the thread is phrased.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

​Define "drugs". When read like this, I shouldn't drink beer. My mom should go to confession for smoking cigarettes. If the catechism means illegal drugs, then wouldn't marijuana no longer apply if it is legal?

Jesus didn't inform the local authorities of His wine production. It's clear that the wine at the wedding wasn't for "therapeutic" purposes.

Let's pretend alcohol isn't a drug, now.

Edited by Winchester