An Old School Catholic Message Board

If marijuana is legal is it moral?

​My apologies, but for those who did not see it, I just substituted "abortion" for "marijuana" in the hopes that the people would see for themselves the fallacy of legalization making something moral.

​But there is no fallacy because nobody (here) thinks that legalization makes something moral. The question is, does lifting the legal restriction resolve the moral issue? Sometimes the only moral issue to something is the legal restriction itself and not the actual act.

AccountDeleted

​But there is no fallacy because nobody (here) thinks that legalization makes something moral. The question is, does lifting the legal restriction resolve the moral issue? Sometimes the only moral issue to something is the legal restriction itself and not the actual act.

​That's true. In the past when my daughter would ask about things like marijuana, I would say, don't do it because it's illegal. I didn't get into moral issues because the fact was that doing it could end up with her in jail. Once the legal restriction is lifted, then it becomes a question of 'It is legal, but is it moral?' I didn't have to deal with that because my daughter is already an adult will have to make that decision for herself. As for me, I don't use it, but then I don't smoke either and I wouldn't like the smoke in my lungs. So it isn't even a moral issue for me, it's a practical one. But is it moral or not? I don't know, that's why it's ambiguous for me, and why I think it has to be an individual moral decision.

It's better to obey stupid laws so that the stupid people enforcing them don't have to commit grave evil in their insipid duties.

If I shoot up several hundred mgs of morphine without a grave reason it's a mortal sin, but if a doctor does it because I'm emaciated and have bones coming through my skin, different story. Marijuana use without a grave reason is wrong of course, even if it's legal, but it isn't worse than morphine or oxymorphone.

You said for cancer and extreme cases "you didn't know what to think."

On a humorous note, here's an interesting thread on Catholic Answers Forum:

Weirder posts since marijuana legalization started

One of the posters writes "The last thing on a "stoners" mind is Catholic Answers Forum." This is arrogant and insulting. Marijuana has a strong spiritual aspect to it. It's a double edge sword and if one isn't grounded in the truth one could be led astray. But to say that a person using marijuana wouldn't be on Catholic Answers is complete fiction. It's quite the opposite. I guarantee you that.                                                                                                 1 Timothy 4:4 ►

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,

It's one on the reasons I don't like to use marijuana. The thoughts are often very intense about eternity, death, and examining the conscious. It's overwhelming at times. If I want to forget completely about these things then alcohol is the remedy. Preferably more then less. That's not an attack on alcohol. It's just when I have a really good alcohol buzz I'm not worrying about much. Not that that's a bad thing. I just always took it to far.

enforcing  insipid duties.

​tell that to the mother of a someone who died of a Overdosed or was killed be a drunk driver. 

i beg your pardon, a police officer enforcing drug prevention is neither evil or  insipid

Nihil Obstat

​tell that to the mother of a someone who died of a Overdosed or was killed be a drunk driver. 

i beg your pardon, a police officer enforcing drug prevention is neither evil or  insipid

He injected three whole Marijuanas. RIP in peace.

I give a big yawn an eye roll to C.A.F , it the worst when it comes to being civil, or even remotely open minded, or even remotely fair in moderating ( step on the wrong moderator and you are gone forever.) and the cliques on that forum are worse than here. The radio program they host, is mediocre at best.

The morality of this issue I find really odd, I would be more interested in how as a society here in America, where some states have legalized Marijuana what that says to 8th grade too high schoolers ( mind you high school kids are already workn on fake ids for booze now they can use it also for pot ).  It is hard enough to convince them to not smoke cigarettes , there are no adds anymore at least not in the commericals I see on tv in regards to the dangers of smoking pot, nor anything on preventing underage drinking or educating minors on why they shouldn't drink.The absolute dangers that result from making oneself unable to rationally think, let alone protect him or her self due to either getting drunk or high, and the long term lethal effects of smoking cigarettes is far more convincing than trying to tell a young person, well the Catechist says this ... All I see is the dumbing down of society, to make it more passive and reliant on the government, instead of working hard to protect impressionable minors from stupid ones. An setting up parents in general to succeed in this struggle of raising children.  An then it becomes even harder to educate anyone, when religious ed programs or youth groups in parishes do not breach such subjects.

It would be really amesome to see parishes across all 50 states to address harder issues now on our own home turf instead of letting schools teach such subjects and hoping they conform to our beliefs and values.

Tell that to a grandma whose granddaughter was murdered in her sleep during a no knock raid by one of your brave drug warriors. 

You've jumped from crimes to non crimes.  I think you need to post less and read more. 

Read this, Winnie

The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that the consequences of short- and long-term recreational marijuana use in adolescents include impaired short-term memory, decreased concentration and attention span and alterations in motor control, coordination, judgment and reaction time.

"The big concern some responsible adults have is that even just partial use can effect a child’s memory,” 

marijuana has been publicly portrayed by you and others, as safer than it is. 

Mr Winchester 

"You are making it sound like a harmless pleasure with no side effects"