An Old School Catholic Message Board

If marijuana is legal is it moral?

​My mom should go to confession for smoking cigarettes.

​Well, technically, since the catechism does condemn the abuse of tobacco......

AccountDeleted

Well, wine must have an exemption (and maybe even MJ too because it's a plant?) because ...

You make the grass grow for the cattle

and plants for people’s work

to bring forth food from the earth,

wine to gladden their hearts,

oil to make their faces shine,

and bread to sustain the human heart.

Ps 104:14, 15

​Define "drugs". When read like this, I shouldn't drink beer. My mom should go to confession for smoking cigarettes. If the catechism means illegal drugs, then wouldn't marijuana no longer apply if it is legal?

​see #2290

​

Jesus didn't inform the local authorities of His wine production. It's clear that the wine at the wedding wasn't for "therapeutic" purposes.

Let's pretend alcohol isn't a drug, now.

turning water into wine is of no concern to the local authorities

It's my understanding that you shouldn't do anything that will take away your use of reason unless there is a grave reason, like for surgery using an anesthesia. 

Anyone who has smoked marijuana here, in the past or who still does would be lying if they said it doesn't alter your state of consciousness in a very powerful way, and take away ones use of reason. 

For cancer, and very extreme cases, I don't know what to think. But I think recreational use of marijuana is very dangerous and destructive, and I speak from my own experience as a convert who lived a very bad life way up in space somewhere and from my interactions with others.

turning water into wine is of no concern to the local authorities

​Oh. You're being arbitrary. Ok. Have fun.

​Well, technically, since the catechism does condemn the abuse of tobacco......

​Ok, I'll give you that, but if you read the thread the question isn't really helpful because I don't think anyone thinks "oh the US/state government says this is legal that must mean God thinks it's OK too!" It's more like "since the whole "breaking the law" thing doesn't apply, can the use of weed be moral?"

KnightofChrist

There seems to be a distinction between 'drugs' compared to other things consumed such as food, alcohol, tobacco and medicine.  Like anything else weed can be abused. I suppose the question is when does it alter the mind and become sinful? I don't think it is easy to know that answer. Since that's the case I don't think it will be easy say it's not sinful to consume. Do those who defend it as moral or amoral have a answer as to when one's mind is altered by the substance?

From the Compendium of the CCC

474. What duty do we have toward our body?

2288-2291

We must take reasonable care of our own physical health and that of others but avoid the cult of the body and every kind of excess. Also to be avoided are the use of drugs which cause very serious damage to human health and life, as well as the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco and medicine.

Why is that?

If I shoot up several hundred mgs of morphine without a grave reason it's a mortal sin, but if a doctor does it because I'm emaciated and have bones coming through my skin, different story. Marijuana use without a grave reason is wrong of course, even if it's legal, but it isn't worse than morphine or oxymorphone.

Do those who defend it as moral or amoral have a answer as to when one's mind is altered by the substance?

​No because the level or type of mind alteration that qualifies as "loss of reason" has not been clearly defined. We know that, with alcohol, being blacked-out drunk and not remembering anything is obviously immoral, whereas having a beer with dinner is not. There is a lot of gray area in between; even quotes from the saints that it's ok (and even virtuous) to drink to hilarity (I might not be wording that right so I'm hoping you Catholic drinkers will correct/clarify) make it confusing.

Many, many things alter your mind: spinning around real fast, taking benadryl, drinking coffee, exersise, eating. Mind alteration, I don't think, is the crux of the issue. It's the "loss of reason" and what that entails.

​Ok, I'll give you that, but if you read the thread the question isn't really helpful because I don't think anyone thinks "oh the US/state government says this is legal that must mean God thinks it's OK too!" It's more like "since the whole "breaking the law" thing doesn't apply, can the use of weed be moral?"

​My apologies, but for those who did not see it, I just substituted "abortion" for "marijuana" in the hopes that the people would see for themselves the fallacy of legalization making something moral.