An Old School Catholic Message Board

If marijuana is legal is it moral?

No one has advocated that children or teenagers should drink or smoke. No one under 18 should do either. Stop being manipulative with your arguments. 

No one has advocated that children or teenagers should drink or smoke. No one under 18 should do either. Stop being manipulative with your arguments. 

my point is that there are negative side effects to legal pot 

​if pot is legal, kids are going to find a way to get it.  (they do now, even with the current laws  on the books)  how would you prevent this?  

Read this, Winnie

The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that the consequences of short- and long-term recreational marijuana use in adolescents include impaired short-term memory, decreased concentration and attention span and alterations in motor control, coordination, judgment and reaction time.

"The big concern some responsible adults have is that even just partial use can effect a child’s memory,” 

marijuana has been publicly portrayed by you and others, as safer than it is. 

Mr Winchester 

"You are making it sound like a harmless pleasure with no side effects"

​No, I'm saying that throwing people in cages for vices is immoral. 

I'm not advocating or endorsing the use of marijuana. I do know that prohibition has led to increased violence in markets for the prohibited goods, and that prohibition results in stronger products. Marijuana has increased in potency since it was prohibited. I'm not arguing for the use of marijuana, but against prohibition.

Even disregarding my belief that without a tort, there is no victim to restore, prohibition has failed in accomplishing its stated goals. It has proved disastrous, in fact. You can add to the alleged health risks of any drug the possibility of suffering enormous levels of violence by those in the black market, and those representing the government. There is also the collateral damage suffered by those who have not involved themselves in drugs. These include civil asset forfeiture, body searches (including violation of sexual organs), warrantless searches, and various levels of physical assault, including kidnapping because the enforcement class sometimes can't tell the difference between okra and weed.

The practical effects alone are enough to consign prohibition to the dustbin. I expect you'll give me all manner of imagined nightmare scenarios after I have provided you with what it actually happening. Bring on the bogeymen.

Edited by Winchester

my point is that there are negative side effects to legal pot 

​if pot is legal, kids are going to find a way to get it.  (they do now, even with the current laws  on the books)  how would you prevent this?  

I agree that there are downsides. Children and teenagers smoking Marijuana is bad. Even adults using mariuana can be very bad. No argument from me. I honestly thought it was better if it stayed illegal. Winchester convinced me otherwise. 

Mexican drug cartels are probably worse than ISIS in their brutality. I'm sure they'd hate to see drugs legalized. Take away lots of their business.

So who cares if Juan and Carlos get burned alive and/or otherwise brutalized so that little Billy will never ever be exposed to a whiff of reefer smoke. Who cares about those brown people south of the border am I right?

​Bring on the bogeymen.

not everybody has the self-control, you have...  Their are many evils in the world, illicit drug use (smoking marijuana) may not be one of them, in your case.   

I for one Believe it is harmful and a scourge to mankind.   Young children and the weak of mind are especially susceptible to harm

Sorry, if you disagree

not everybody has the self-control, you have...  Their are many evils in the world, illicit drug use (smoking marijuana) may not be one of them, in your case.   

I for one Believe it is harmful and a scourge to mankind.   Young children and the weak of mind are especially susceptible to harm

Sorry, if you disagree

​You're still not getting it. I've put it in the simplest terms I can, and you're still completely missing the point. It's useless talking to you, but it has reaffirmed my belief in the complete stupidity of democracy.

​You're still not getting it. I've put it in the simplest terms I can, and you're still completely missing the point. It's useless talking to you, but it has reaffirmed my belief in the complete stupidity of democracy.

​Stupidity, of course, is in the eyes of its beholder

AccountDeleted

​Stupidity, of course, is in the eyes of its beholder

​Walking the Winchester Line... courageous (but not too bright)  :)

​Walking the Winchester Line... courageous (but not too bright)  :)

​yes, but I've got right on my side, so...

AccountDeleted

​yes, but I've got right on my side, so...

​You don't know what the Winchester Line is, do you? Don't worry - I'm sure toddlers are treated gently.

​You don't know what the Winchester Line is, do you? Don't worry - I'm sure toddlers are treated gently.

​okay

Archaeology cat

One could argue that children are especially susceptible to harm and therefore alcohol should be prohibited. In fact, that very argument was made, either that the child would be tempted to drink or would be harmed by a parent drinking. Yet prohibition of alcohol didn't get rid of problems. Yes, fewer people drank during that time, but those who did tended to overindulge more, and it helped feed organized crime.

I think what Winnie and other are saying is that marijuana prohibition has led to similar problems. No one is saying children should smoke marijuana. Besides, legalizing it means it is also regulated as far as selling it goes, just as alcohol is today.

One could argue that children are especially susceptible to harm and therefore alcohol should be prohibited. In fact, that very argument was made, either that the child would be tempted to drink or would be harmed by a parent drinking. Yet prohibition of alcohol didn't get rid of problems. Yes, fewer people drank during that time, but those who did tended to overindulge more, and it helped feed organized crime.

I think what Winnie and other are saying is that marijuana prohibition has led to similar problems. No one is saying children should smoke marijuana. Besides, legalizing it means it is also regulated as far as selling it goes, just as alcohol is today.

​ In fact, that very same argument has been made to justify and legalize:  alcohol, tobacco, abortion, gambling, and adultery.  

whats next?