An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Preaching

Gabriela

Out of curiosity, what do you all think needs improving (generally speaking) in Catholic homilies?

​Fundamentals of Catholicism.

For example. I sometimes attend a parish who has a beautiful tabernacle surrounded by kneelers and glass off to the side. Me and my family are the only ones who genuflect as we walk by. Everyone else in the parish ignores it as if it was just a piece of furniture. The priest at this parish should be preaching about that.

Nihil Obstat

For example. I sometimes attend a parish who has a beautiful tabernacle surrounded by kneelers and glass off to the side. Me and my family are the only ones who genuflect as we walk by. Everyone else in the parish ignores it as if it was just a piece of furniture. The priest at this parish should be preaching about that.

Just yesterday I was talking with my priests after Mass. They were telling me that last week they found two hosts on the ground before our Mass, and then today another one. (Meaning in all likelihood they came from the Mass before us.)

We were saying, yeah we absolutely cannot tolerate such a grave sacrilege. But what is the root cause? So many people just do not know how to behave, and the reverence they owe to the Eucharist. They do not know because by and large they have not been taught. Parents do not teach their kids, because the parents themselves do not know. Probably because they themselves were never taught by their parents. And mostly they are not hearing it from the priests either. A couple lessons for sacramental prep, almost none of which is retained after they receive the sacrament. 

So many Catholics simply do not know what is expected of them. 

bernadette d

Just yesterday I was talking with my priests after Mass. They were telling me that last week they found two hosts on the ground before our Mass, and then today another one. (Meaning in all likelihood they came from the Mass before us.)

We were saying, yeah we absolutely cannot tolerate such a grave sacrilege. But what is the root cause? So many people just do not know how to behave, and the reverence they owe to the Eucharist. They do not know because by and large they have not been taught. Parents do not teach their kids, because the parents themselves do not know. Probably because they themselves were never taught by their parents. And mostly they are not hearing it from the priests either. A couple lessons for sacramental prep, almost none of which is retained after they receive the sacrament. 

So many Catholics simply do not know what is expected of them. 

​Very sad, reverence and instruction are so important. After many years instructing children for First Holy Communion and Confession it grieves me to know this. It does not surprise me though....quite sure it's largely the same here in the UK

Basilisa Marie

​Same thing happens at my work church. I'm in the middle of a crusade to indoctrinate the kiddos on proper reverence to Jesus in the tabernacle. 

In my experience a lot of priests are loathe to preach about "topics". And indeed, a (very) recent publication from the CDWDS seemed to confirm priests in this aversion by stressing that homilies should connect to the day's biblical readings. But I agree with you all that important Church teachings should be given through homilies, especially when homilies may be the only place people have opportunity to hear those teachings.

But how do you convince priests to preach on "topics" when the pressure now is to keep things strictly tied to Scripture?

truthfinder

The only time I've ever really heard an diocescan priest preach on topics, was when he had stressed about a million times during his homily that it was allowed by Vatican II.  And it was on something like confession -really vital stuff that people needed to hear about.  

For my (almost) favourite EF homily: an entire sermon (half an hour, and he could have gone on without being the least bit boring) on how to use your EF handmissal.  It wasn't just an instruction; it gave really good information on the development of Catholic liturgical law, why the rubrics are important, why they can't be changed, and had linked with the priest's very biblical four part series on the Church as the embodiment of the the gates of Heaven and why 'liturgical abuse kills.'

In my experience a lot of priests are loathe to preach about "topics". And indeed, a (very) recent publication from the CDWDS seemed to confirm priests in this aversion by stressing that homilies should connect to the day's biblical readings. But I agree with you all that important Church teachings should be given through homilies, especially when homilies may be the only place people have opportunity to hear those teachings.

But how do you convince priests to preach on "topics" when the pressure now is to keep things strictly tied to Scripture?

​I like Scripture-centred homilies. Jesus had to "open the scriptures" to the disciples on the road to Emmaus, and I think some guidance and exegesis are even more necessary for those Catholics who don't study the Bible or do lectio divina in their own time. But there is also no reason why such homilies can't be linked to to important topics. For instance, last Sunday I attended Mass at a strange church and the priest linked the defilement of the Temple to the ways in which we defile and clutter up our own souls. He spoke about how to drive out bad influences and sinful habits, mentioning confession, penance, and the value of Lent as a season in teaching us to put God first. He wasn't fluent in English so he kept his sermon short and used very simple language, but somehow this made it more powerful - it was one of the clearest things I've heard in a while.

​I think I could find a way to connect the Eucharist to the readings of the day, every day of the year.

But, it doesn't have to be during the homily. What my parish priest will often do, is when the mass ends, he will say, "Oh, by the way, I noticed a lot of people did not genuflect before entering their pew today. It is important because..."

Edited by dUSt

Two things that come into play:  

1)  Some homilists may balk at preaching about certain topics if there are young children present.  

2)  Sometimes a homilist's personal feelings may color his outlook or judgment.  This is something to especially watch out for with the increase of the number of priests who have had parents or other close family members who are divorced.

truthfinder

In response to Norseman's scenarios (which do indeed come into play, but in reality shouldn't):

1.) There are ways to preach on uncomfortable topics that don't scandalize (and in this case, scandalize does not equal bristling some feathers of those who think the Church should change).  Usually just referring to sins against "the sixth and ninth commandments" is sufficient, or else quick mentions of "fornication, contraception" without any needless and gory details.  If Father really thinks it is necessary, he should arrange a catechism lesson for adults with childcare provided.  

2.) While this certainly is the case, it doesn't mean priests shouldn't be faithful.  One of my parish priest's grew up with a single parent, and was certainly compassionate to those in similar circumstances - but that doesn't mean he didn't keep the teaching of the Church; rather, he was one of Her staunchest defenders in terms of morality.  

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, new question: If you could tell your (most-)regular preacher one piece of constructive criticism about his homilies, what would it be?

PhuturePriest

My priest is pretty solid on homilies, so I wouldn't critique anything he says. He regularly preaches on abortion, contraception, turning away from sin and becoming as holy as possible, etc., and all in a very exciting and passionate way. I would critique other things he does, such as not using the formal prayer of absolution in confession. They are valid, as he uses the Trinity, but it's a simple "I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.", which is illicit. I haven't had the guts to bring it to his attention, however.

Nihil Obstat

Okay, new question: If you could tell your (most-)regular preacher one piece of constructive criticism about his homilies, what would it be?

​Any advice my priests would take from me would probably make their homilies worse. :hehe: I am more concerned that I get what I need from them rather than what I want.

Credo in Deum

*Must. Hold. Back. The. Temptation. To. Make. A. Rolling Stones. Joke.*

Ok. Temptation gone.  

God is good.

Edited by Credo in Deum

I was reading Exodus and liked the fact that Moses was a poor speaker, Aaron had to do the speaking for him. I don't know if that's relevant here, but it's an interesting detail.