An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Preaching

Gabriela

​What Nihil said basically. But, if we allow jerks to separate us and Holy Mother Church, that gives the jerks power over our mind, body and soul. Effectively it allows them to control what we believe and what we do not believe. I still plead as I did before do not allow them to separate you from Mother Church, from Jesus Christ. If we look we will find jerks every where, sometimes it's harder to see them if we don't have fundamental differences of opinion and share common beliefs. But they are there, always, if we will not belong to an organization with jerks, then we can't belong to any organization. Anyway, don't let the jerks win.

​Well I guess Im a weak sinner. Ive allowed their representation to taint my view of the church. I wish I could reverse it with a snap of my fingers though!

Nihil Obstat

Well I guess Im a weak sinner. Ive allowed their representation to taint my view of the church. I wish I could reverse it with a snap of my fingers though!

​Meh. What else is new, right? If you can name one of us to whom this does not apply, then I will be impressed.

Credo in Deum
​Meh. What else is new, right? If you can name one of us to whom this does not apply, then I will be impressed.

Me!  I'm a strong sinner.  Been training all summer I has!

Nihil Obstat

Me!  I'm a strong sinner.  Been training all summer I has!

I noticed. I was cleaning up those flaming bags of dog poop every day from July to August. <_< You are lucky I did not invoice you for the time I spent.

BarbTherese

I think that many things can influence (or tend to influence) on the human level in the course of a lifetime - but where there is increase, fruit and flowering, it is a work of Grace alone through various channels and it is Grace that is indispensable to the situations, not the channels.           Luke Ch17 "So you also, when you shall have done all these things that are commanded you, say: We are unprofitable servants; we have done that which we ought to do."  We are unprofitable because it is always a work of Grace in all good things great and small. "All is Grace" (St Therese of Lisieux) We are called to be 'walking talking Gospels' and as attributed often to St Francis of Assisi "Preach The Gospel, with words if necessary".

The most powerful and effective means of Grace on earth is The Mass and The Sacraments both for those attending faithfully and at the one and same time for the whole world.  It is a great Mystery.

Psalm 145

http://www.drbo.org/chapter/21145.htm

"Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation."

lst Epistle of Paul to The Corinthians " 

http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=53&ch=3&l=4#x

For while one saith, I indeed am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollo; are you not men? What then is Apollo, and what is Paul?

The ministers of him whom you have believed; and to every one as the Lord hath given.

I have planted, Apollo watered, but God gave the increase. Therefore, neither he that planteth is any thing, nor he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase." [/quote]

KnightofChrist

​Well I guess Im a weak sinner. Ive allowed their representation to taint my view of the church. I wish I could reverse it with a snap of my fingers though!

​My dear sweet friend, Goonies never say die!

PhuturePriest

As an avid Sean Astin fan, it is my duty to inform you that The Goonies is incredibly overrated and does not hold up unless you have sentimental reasons for loving it. I think the reason why you struggle with the Church is because you are allowing yourself to be tainted and indoctrinated by The Goonies, which is undoubtedly what has kept Sean Astin out despite he himself saying he's wanted to join and was even in RCIA at one point.

AccountDeleted

Your words here do an enormous discredit to the sufferings many cradle Catholics endure. 'Converts' do not have the monopoly on struggles with faith. Being 'brought up in Catholicism' is never a guarantee that things are 'black and white,' nor is it a guarantee against apostasy.

​My statement was that 'I just don't think that cradle Catholics can have any concept of how difficult it can be for a non believer to make it across the great divide.'

If you see in that statement some kind of comparison to 'sufferings' of anyone else on earth (Catholic or not) or a 'black and white' view of the world, then you are really reaching for it. I stand by my statement and wonder why it is that you can't simply be grateful for the great gift of having been born into the faith, whether you rebelled against it or not. I didn't say you didn't have difficulties but to be born into a family where God was at least a possibility and Jesus was a part of you life, however small,  is a giant step in the right direction. It's a part of you that you can't even comprehend because you are too close to it. But then we often take for granted the things that we are given.

You are just trying to pick a fight. Not interested.