An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charleston Shooting Suspect (Derailed: Confederate Flag Debate)

Really surprised how many Catholics in my news feed and even Catholic pages I hit "like" on are supporting the Confederate flag with no second thought of how black people feel about it. Hardly none of these people or pages have any uplifting words to say about the victims who were murdered. If anything would cause me to join a Non Denominational Church that has blacks and whites worshiping God together it's this. I won't leave the Catholic Church because I actually DO believe it has the full truth and the Holy Spirit is leading me to stay here. Although the lack of empathy by what seems to be a ton of Catholics is really disappointing. It really makes me wonder if a good portion of Catholics are racist and don't like black people. It also bothers me when these same Catholics act as if Non Catholic Christians (surprise surprise a bunch of black Christians) don't have a real relationship with Christ. Yet Black Christians are some some of the most sincere and dedicated Christians I've ever met.

Really disappointed. This has been eye opening and confirmed what I pretty much already knew to be true.

Edited by Guest

This happened yesterday at the Courthouse.  

FB_IMG_1437340373489.jpg

A black security officer helping a kkk member who was affected by the heat 

FB_IMG_1437340563801.jpg

Edited by Guest

Nihil Obstat

A black security officer helping a kkk member who was affected by the heat 

FB_IMG_1437340563801.jpg

I like pictures like that. 

Fact? How is this a fact? Did you cite a study or a survey?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and concede that most people who fly the confederate flag may see it as a symbol of pride, but "most Americans" seeing it the same way seems to be way waaaaay off.

Actually, Knight originally did cite this CNN poll:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/02/politics/confederate-flag-poll-racism-southern-pride/index.html

You can always question the poll's results or methodology (though the findings don't shock or surprise me), but so far you've given nothing solid to back up your contrary assertions.

An angry minority shouldn't dictate what the flag means for the majority.

RE:  Peace and Knight:

At the risk of further derailing the thread, it seems hard to think of doing anything objectively worse to a race of people than deliberately murdering its innocent children?

What is a worse problem for blacks?  (I don't think it's Confederate flags.)

(And no, I don't care who's black or who's white here.  Abortion is an extremely grave evil however you slice it.  And, yes, there are blacks who are extremely upset about the abortion of black children, so I don;t think it's entirely fair to blow off this question as solely a concern of condescending whites.)

RE:  Peace and Knight:

At the risk of further derailing the thread, it seems hard to think of doing anything objectively worse to a race of people than deliberately murdering its innocent children?

What is a worse problem for blacks?  (I don't think it's Confederate flags.)

(And no, I don't care who's black or who's white here.  Abortion is an extremely grave evil however you slice it.  And, yes, there are blacks who are extremely upset about the abortion of black children, so I don;t think it's entirely fair to blow off this question as solely a concern of condescending whites.)

Why don't we have a discussion about what is the worse problem facing whites while we are at it? That is equally irrelevant.

How about any time you write something that does not relate to abortion, I will jump in and respond by writing "not to derail the topic, but isn't the murder of white children much worse than that? Why are you wasting your time discussing XYZ when white babies are still being aborted by the thousands?"

Would you not find that annoying?

Nihil Obstat

Why don't we have a discussion about what is the worse problem facing whites while we are at it? That is equally irrelevant.

Probably also abortion, and sexual immorality. And Godlessness, idolatry, materialism, relativism, etc. 

I cannot believe how many people disregard the heritage and feelings of white Americans with regards to a flag that many obviously feel very strongly about. So sad that so many catholics are willing to treat others in this way.  

Actually, Knight originally did cite this CNN poll:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/02/politics/confederate-flag-poll-racism-southern-pride/index.html

This is surprising to me. I guess I was raised in an area of the country that has a different view.

Then again, the poll could just be showing that 57% of Americans are racist. 

Edited by dUSt

You can always question the poll's results or methodology (though the findings don't shock or surprise me), but so far you've given nothing solid to back up your contrary assertions.

An angry minority shouldn't dictate what the flag means for the majority.

per that exact article; "Among African-Americans, 72% see the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism,"

but screw them amirite?

I cannot believe how many people disregard the heritage and feelings of white Americans with regards to a flag that many obviously feel very strongly about. So sad that so many catholics are willing to treat others in this way.  

Please.

per that exact article; "Among African-Americans, 72% see the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism,"

but screw them amirite?

It's not their symbol - why would they define it?