An Old School Catholic Message Board

Welcome To Detroit

PhuturePriest

Nihil Obstat

I have come to the conclusion that Indian food is highly overrated.

I have come to the conclusion that the Indian food you got was not very good.

veritasluxmea

I can't stand anything even mildly spicy so I don't eat Indian food. Garlic Naan bread is good though. 

I have come to the conclusion that Indian food is highly overrated.

I second Nihil's conclusion. Use Yelp to find a better Indian restaurant. Indian is the bomb.

If that fails, try Thai. Everybody loves Thai.

PhuturePriest

I second Nihil's conclusion. Use Yelp to find a better Indian restaurant. Indian is the bomb.

If that fails, try Thai. Everybody loves Thai.

They all said that as far as Indian food goes it's super good, so I guess I'm just not a fan of Indian food. It happens.

So yesterday the guy I work directly under gave me Saint Louis' consecration book and said "Read part II and write an article on it, and then write a synopsis for days 13-19." It was pretty difficult at first, but after lunch he gave me a bit of direction and I had it done by Evening Prayer. He said it would be posted onto the website next week, so stay tuned for that.

Oh, and I don't think I gave a list of the books I'm reading. They are thus:

Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen

Summa of the Summa by Peter Kreeft

Triumph by some guy whose name I can't remember but I'm too lazy to look at the book two feet away from me

Revolution and Counterrevolution by some guy whose name will be revealed if you Google it

and a theology book on the dogmas of the faith that we haven't officially been given yet but will be. I've seen the syllabus for the rest of this year and it includes several other Kreeft books.

The guys at the office have officially nicknamed me Swagmaster.

So I guess you could say things are going pretty well.

veritasluxmea

Revolution and Counterrevolution by some guy whose name will be revealed if you Google it

why was that book recommended? 

This is literally the content list: 

I. Germany at the Outbreak of the Revolution. (Oct. 25, 1851)

II. The Prussian State. (Oct. 28, 1851)

III. The Other German States. (Nov. 6, 1851)

IV. Austria. (Nov. 7, 1851)

V. The Vienna Insurrection. (Nov. 12, 1851)

VI. The Berlin Insurrection. (Nov. 28, 1851)

VII. The Frankfort National Assembly. (Feb. 27, 1852)

VIII. Poles, Tschechs [Czechs], and Germans. (March 5, 1852)

IX. Panslavism. The Schleswig-Holstein War. (March 15, 1852)

X. The Paris Rising. The Frankfort Assembly. (March 18, 1852)

XI. The Vienna Insurrection. (March 19, 1852)

XII. The Storming of Vienna. The Betrayal of Vienna. (April 9, 1852)

XIII. The Prussian Constituent Assembly. The National Assembly. (April 17, 1852)

XIV. The Restoration of Order. Diet and Chamber. (April 24, 1852)

XV. The Triumph of Prussia. (July 27, 1852)

XVI. The National Assembly and the Governments. (Aug. 19, 1852)

XVII. Insurrection. (Sept. 18, 1852)

XVIII. Petty Traders. (Oct. 2, 1852)

XIX. The Close of the Insurrection. (Oct. 23, 1852)

XX. The Late Trial at Cologne. (Dec. 22, 1852) (via Wiki)

Nihil Obstat

The best Indian food I have ever had was on Easter Sunday in downtown London. Lots of Indians there of course, and they have a culture of authentic Indian dishes. Really amazing dinner that day. One of the best meals of my life.

Basilisa Marie

Thai food is excellent, I looooove pad thai and am working my way up the spiciness scale. 

Keep posting your book lists. :)

Oh, and I'm guessing swagmaster is their version of precious cinnamon roll:saint: :hehe2:

Edited by Basilisa Marie

The best Indian food I have ever had was on Easter Sunday in downtown London. Lots of Indians there of course, and they have a culture of authentic Indian dishes. Really amazing dinner that day. One of the best meals of my life.

LOL. This reminds me of a time I was in Israel and some really shockingly cocky, sleezy, rich Israeli guy was convinced he could get me into bed. He wouldn't let up about going on a date. I was getting really fed up with his annoying persistence when he said, "Come on, we can go anywhere you want." There was an Indian restaurant in Tel Aviv I'd always wanted to go to, but it was way too expensive for me. So I said I want to go there. And being rich and cocky and sleezy, he took me. We covered the table with dishes and I ate till I was about to pop. It was D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.

I went home with bags of leftovers. And he went home alone.

:lol4:

Thai food is excellent, I looooove pad thai and am working my way up the spiciness scale. 

I'm pretty high up the spiciness scale already. At the amazing (and not just for Appalachia) Thai restaurant in Blacksburg, I always ordered triple Thai hot, and the waiter always said, "Are you sure?"

Ahhh, clean sinuses!

In Israel I used to order a lot of "charif" on dishes at Arab restaurants. The Arabs always gawked at me and asked the same thing, "Are you sure? Chabibti, this is HOT!" "Yeah, I KNOW it's hot. Just keep going!" Then they'd stare at me while I ate and whisper to each other behind the counter.

Why is it "ethnics" always assume little white girls with freckles can't handle HOT? :P

Edited by Gabriela

Archaeology cat

I can't stand anything even mildly spicy so I don't eat Indian food. Garlic Naan bread is good though. 

Not all Indian food is spicy. Get a good korma next time. I'm allergic to nightshades, so the hot dishes are out for me now anyway. 

I went to a really good place in London, but can't remember where. Had some really good Indian in Liverpool, too. 

HopefulHeart

There are many Indian people in my neighborhood, so my family has been able to sample a number of homemade Indian dishes. Biryani is one of my favorites, especially the hyderabad chicken biryani. Definitely on the spicy side, but so flavorful that you just have to keep eating! I also enjoy the desserts, like rasmalai and kheer. And naan is simply delicious.

My Indian neighbors are sometimes surprised by the amount of spice that my parents and I can handle. Once we went to an Indian restaurant (Coriander, in Edison, NJ), and my dad asked for his dish to be made spicy. The waiters asked "Are you sure?" and my dad had to reassure them that he did, in fact, want the full amount of heat. :)

Edited by HopefulHeart

IgnatiusofLoyola

Indian food may be an acquired taste, although Naan (Indian bread) is probably something that everybody would like.

Like the others, I strongly recommend trying Thai food. I don't know how much spicy food you have eaten in the past, but even if you are not fond of very spicy food, there are still a lot of excellent options in Thai food that are not spicy. BTW--Thai food, like Indian food, has a number of dishes with curry, but the curry in Thai food is very different than the curry in Indian food. So, if you didn't enjoy the Indian curry dishes, you still might enjoy Thai curry dishes.

There are two Thai dishes that I highly recommend for people new to Thai food. The first is Chicken Satay--Grilled chicken on skewers with a peanut sauce, and a small portion of cucumber/onion salad on the side. Sometimes the peanut sauce will be a little bit spicy--but nothing like the spiciness of Indian food.

The second dish is Pad Thai. This is a noodle dish, often with some sort of meat, such as chicken or beef, or with tofu. It is normally not spicy at all.

Both dishes are addictive.

I didn't eat Thai food at all when I was growing up (although I ate a lot of Chinese and Japanese food), but I loved Thai food from the first time I had it, and now Thai food is comfort food for me.

I'm glad to hear that things are going well so far in Detroit. I have been praying for you every day.