An Old School Catholic Message Board

Welcome To Detroit

PhuturePriest

truthfinder

I don't want to hijack, but is it standard procedure for Catholic priests to be able to hear confessions as soon as they're ordained? Just curious.

My home diocese, the bishop will give faculties to say Mass and preach, but will usually hold off in giving faculties for Confession for at least a couple days/week after ordination. It's just to prevent him from being swarmed by a million people wanting him to hear their confession.  He can still hear confessions without faculties if the person is in danger of death.  

Credo in Deum

My home diocese, the bishop will give faculties to say Mass and preach, but will usually hold off in giving faculties for Confession for at least a couple days/week after ordination. It's just to prevent him from being swarmed by a million people wanting him to hear their confession.  He can still hear confessions without faculties if the person is in danger of death.  

The Bishop's probably thinking of all the parish members running to the new guy to escape a tongue-lashing from their regular confessor on why they haven't made progress since their last visit. :hehe2: Jk, jk.

PhuturePriest

I don't want to hijack, but is it standard procedure for Catholic priests to be able to hear confessions as soon as they're ordained? Just curious.

I've never heard of not immediately being given faculties to hear confession except for in a monastic setting.

Edited by PhuturePriest

Ash Wednesday

There's nothing like a great, fall-flat-on-your-face in amazement confession. I had an earth shaking, amazing confession the day I made my Montfort consecration to Mary this year. It's unfortunate that so many people don't like or believe in the sacrament. They just don't know what they are missing when you discover the treasures within that confessional.

Is it not so in the Orthodox Church?

It depends on the maturity of the candidate. If he is of a certain age and experience, he will usually be able to hear confessions from the get-go - candidates should be at least thirty anyway - but it's at the bishop's discretion. I like that, it's fatherly and pastoral. A long-serving deacon was recently ordained to the priesthood at my parish, and he's well over the canonical age and is very canny, but he hasn't been blessed to hear confessions yet because in the grand scheme of priestly things he's still kind of a noob and it wouldn't be good for him or the people.

It depends on the maturity of the candidate. If he is of a certain age and experience, he will usually be able to hear confessions from the get-go - candidates should be at least thirty anyway - but it's at the bishop's discretion. I like that, it's fatherly and pastoral. A long-serving deacon was recently ordained to the priesthood at my parish, and he's well over the canonical age and is very canny, but he hasn't been blessed to hear confessions yet because in the grand scheme of priestly things he's still kind of a noob and it wouldn't be good for him or the people.

That makes sense!

PhuturePriest

There's nothing like a great, fall-flat-on-your-face in amazement confession. I had an earth shaking, amazing confession the day I made my Montfort consecration to Mary this year. It's unfortunate that so many people don't like or believe in the sacrament. They just don't know what they are missing when you discover the treasures within that confessional.

Well, mine was actually face-to-face in an office (which is the way I prefer it, actually), but the sentiment is the same. :P