An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fr. Ripperger: NeoCatholicism vs. Traditionalism

Nihil Obstat

Sometimes you will see their external commitment to Christ isn't exactly what you think it is... there is only One Church that leads you to Christ.  Christ Himself said that you must eat His Flesh and Drink His Blood in order to have life.  These poor protties have rejected the Eucharist.  

the word “protties” doesn't rub me the right way…  but more to the point I want to clarify something you wrote about rejecting the Eucharist… you can only reject something that you know, and in so far that they do not know who or what the Eucharist is truly about, because of no fault of their own, they are not rejecting the Eucharist

It better not be no real God,

Real hope, that heals hearts

It shows me that I ain't livin up

To all these things he put me here for

It better not be no real church,

Real saints, who pray hard

And let me rock my snap back

With the 501’s and the J's on

It better not be no real folk,

Who don’t think that they better than you

Straight or gay, drunk or high,

They walk through the cold

Weather with you

No we don’t wanna see that,

Cuz that might mean a life change

That might mean I'm worth more,

Then money, cars, sex and pipe dreams

Better not be no real Jesus,

Real forgiveness, for hurt folks

If God gon take me as I am

I guess I already got on my

Church clothes

Edited by Guest

Josh, I'm worried that your listening to so much Protestant hip hop may be slowly influencing your opinions on the Faith.

St. Augustine said, "He who sings, prays twice." And "lex orandi, lex credendi"—"the law of prayer is the law of belief". 

And that is not to speak of the mountain of research that's shown that the messages we consume via mass media affect our beliefs.

So I shouldn't listening to Lecrae because he's not Catholic ? lol

I mean he was just a poor kid from the ghetto. God would never use someone like that. 

And for your information I pray the Rosary everyday.

Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum

So I shouldn't listen to Lecrae because he's not Catholic ? lol

She's saying you need to be cautious of the music you listen to and the messages it sends.  Protestant hip hop will be filled with Protestant beliefs.  This is not to say all songs are bad, since they believe certain things we believe, but that you should exercise prudence when listen to their music since they also believe things which are anti-Catholic.  Also she's giving you a charitable warning that too much exposure, or an unmonitored exposure, to Protestant beliefs can, overtime, influence you and weaken your Catholic Faith.  Music is a very powerful weapon, and one we should not take lightly.

What in that song I posted by Lecrae do you take problem with? Please tell me Pharisees.

As much as I like hip-hop and Lecrae, you got me wondering why you posted this particular song here in this thread… I'm not sure what you're trying to say by posting it. At any rate, I think you should take what they're saying w/a grain of salt, and honestly--- I think that they are not all wrong... we need to exercise critical thought when listening to music… what is so pharisaical about that?

What in that song I posted by Lecrae do you take problem with? Please tell me Pharisees.

I'd say the whole going-to-church-with-your-jeans-on-'cause-Jesus-loves-you-anyway is problematic, to say the least. It breathes sola fide: the idea that we are saved through grace alone and that good works (i.e. putting on your best clothes) do not count. 

God does care about the way you dress, speak, and behave in church. I don't have to elaborate on St. Paul's instructions on the Eucharist, and would like to point at the many instances in the Old Testament where God names irreverent practices at the altar as one of the worst crimes of Israel. And this was in the time God was not physically present at the altar. How greater is His right to our reverence when He is truly present at the altar in His Flesh and Blood!

Aside from this fact, it seems to me self-evident that true love wants to show itself in good works. If we dress up for a night out with our partner, we should also dress up for Our Lord. 

I go to Mass with jeans on. Sometimes wind pant s. Judge me all you want I COULD CARE LESS. Worry about your own soul. 

Edited by Guest

Nihil Obstat

They just told you, dude. The concern is that an uncritical acceptance of explicitly Protestant mediamedia could undermine your Catholic faith. Many of your reactions to things around here imply to us that your faith is a bit fragile as is. Be careful.

She's saying you need to be cautious of the music you listen to and the messages it sends.  Protestant hip hop will be filled with Protestant beliefs.  This is not to say all songs are bad, since they believe certain things we believe, but that you should exercise prudence when listen to their music since they also believe things which are anti-Catholic.  Also she's giving you a charitable warning that too much exposure, or an unmonitored exposure, to Protestant beliefs can, overtime, influence you and weaken your Catholic Faith.  Music is a very powerful weapon, and one we should not take lightly.

Exactly. Also, Josh, it's great that you pray the rosary every day, but praying the rosary isn't likely to increase your understanding of the Faith. It might be fine for you to listen to all the Protestant hiphop you do if you also spend as much time reading about the Truths of the Catholic Faith, so that you'll be able to identify uncatholic assumptions in the songs you hear. Personally, though, I wouldn't take that risk—I mean, not the risk of spending equal time on Catholic study and Protestant music. Music is just too powerful a medium.

For what it's worth, I really like some songs by Casting Crowns, and I LOVE old Southern Gospel songs and Appalachian Bluegrass Gospel—none of which is Catholic—but I don't spend nearly as much time listening to them as I do to Catholic talks, and I typically don't listen to any songs that do conflict with Catholic teaching. We share a lot, though, so most of the Gospel music is perfectly okay.

You might really enjoy the FOCUS talks, which are free at this website: http://www.focusequip.org/plugged-in-free-catholic-audio-talks/?referrer=https://www.google.com/ 

They just told you, dude. The concern is that an uncritical acceptance of explicitly Protestant mediamedia could undermine your Catholic faith. Many of your reactions to things around here imply to us that your faith is a bit fragile as is. Be careful.

Its not "explicitly protestant" If you watch the video he's actually addressing Protestants. It's not an attack on Catholicism.My faith in Jesus Christ is not fragile. Thanks for the concern though.

Gabriela I know plenty about the faith. I go to Confession frequently. I'm always aware if I should receive the Euachrist or not. I go to Mass every week. Stop trying to paint me as some luke warm Catholic that doesn't understand his faith. It's lame.

I don't even listen to that much "Protestant Hiphop" Lecrae isn't "Protestant hiphop" Most of that croutons is lame. I mainly listen to secular hip hop and a lot of Catholic hiphop.

Edited by Guest