An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Ice_nine

20 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Christian charity is dangerous, if we are to consider the good Samaritan a model of Christian charity.

The Gospel itself is radical and dangerous. We have to be willing to love and serve radically, I think.

Just now, Selah said:

The Gospel itself is radical and dangerous. We have to be willing to love and serve radically, I think.

I agree with you. It's easier to say though. When I see someone pulled over on the interstate I never stop. Partly because I probably can't help them other than let them use my phone, and also because my chances of bodily harm go up quite a bit.

Just now, Ice_nine said:

I agree with you. It's easier to say though. When I see someone pulled over on the interstate I never stop. Partly because I probably can't help them other than let them use my phone, and also because my chances of bodily harm go up quite a bit.

I know, it can be hard :/ I just go by what my Patron said (St. Francis of Assisi) about doing what you must, then what you can, and soon you'll be doing what you thought you couldn't do.

On December 9, 2015 at 4:26:14 PM, StMichael said:

His mother was a Catholic of Swiss and German descent. The father was going to school in the US and if anything was a migrant. Refugee status means "a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster." 

From Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Steve Jobs's biological father, Abdulfattah "John" Jandali (b. 1931), was born into a Muslim household and grew up in Homs, Syria.[9] Jandali is the son of a self-made millionaire who did not go to college and a mother who was a traditional housewife.[9]While an undergraduate at the American University of Beirut, he was a student activist and spent time in jail for his political activities.[9] Although Jandali initially wanted to study law, he eventually decided to study economics and political science.[9] He pursued a PhD in the latter subject at the University of Wisconsin, where he met Joanne Carole Schieble, a Catholic of Swiss and German descent, who grew up on a farm in Wisconsin.[2][9][10] As a doctoral candidate, Jandali was Schieble's teaching assistant although both were the same age.[11] Mona Simpson (Jobs's biological sister), notes that her maternal grandparents were not happy that their daughter was dating Jandali: "it wasn't that he was Middle-Eastern so much as that he was a Muslim. But there are a lot of Arabs in Michigan and Wisconsin. So it's not that unusual."[11] Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs's official biographer, additionally states that Schieble's father "threatened to cut Joanne off completely" if she continued the relationship.[2]

Steve Jobs is about as much a refugee as Barry "Barack Obama" Sotero.

so he was the son of a refugee   i stand corrected

Immigrants to the United States have greatly benefited her quality-of-life, Steve Jobs is a good example of this   

The fact that he was raised a Catholic may have had something to do with his accomplishments,  I believe 

4 hours ago, little2add said:

so he was the son of a refugee   i stand corrected

With your line of "thinking" then Barack Obama is a refugee as well.

Jobs was not a refugee. Jobs biological father was not a refugee. Jobs was born out of wedlock and his mother considered abortion. He saw himself as unwanted. Jobs was not Catholic, he was baptized into a protestant faith (Lutheran), but he practiced Buddhism.

On December 11, 2015 at 7:11:20 PM, StMichael said:

With your line of "thinking" then Barack Obama is a refugee as well.

Jobs was not a refugee. Jobs biological father was not a refugee. Jobs was born out of wedlock and his mother considered abortion. He saw himself as unwanted. Jobs was not Catholic, he was baptized into a protestant faith (Lutheran), but he practiced Buddhism.

With your line of "thinking" then Barack Obama is a refugee as well.  Not really, His mother raised Obama

Job’s was not a refugee the son of a Syrian immigrant. Jobs biological father was not a refugee immigrated from war torn Syria.  Job’s was born out of wedlock and his mother considered abortion. Job’s was adopted and raised by a catholic couple.   He saw himself as unwanted.  Job’s was not Catholic, he was baptized into a protestant faith (Lutheran), but he practiced Buddhism.

Edited by little2add

On 11/12/2015, 05:29:48, Ice_nine said:

I think the christian religion is more about talking about being good and patting ourselves on the back about how i was nice that one time to that person than actually being good.

Thats what saint stories are no? Ways to talk about good people - kinda like gossip celebity magazines  - that we have no intention of ever becoming, but we admire. That guy was soooo good, ooh and aah, lets paint a picture of this good dude and show how much we appreciate how good he was.

I was in lyon recently and those basilicas and cathedrals are beautiful, but i just thought to myself its really like a club where we meet to talk about goodness and being good, but if youre not good? Its just razzle dazzle and aesthetics but the most pointless thing in the world - no wonder hordes of tourists come to take photos for their collections. Thats all the beauty is good for if youre not good. 

hordes of tourists come to take photos for their collections and some worshippers have the audacity to get all offended. Well if you dont take it seriously well yeah your super fancy cathedral is nothing more than eye candy if youre not good. Follow jesus. Take up your cross. Words we repeat, meaningless.

Edited by Kia ora

2 hours ago, Kia ora said:

Thats what saint stories are no? Ways to talk about good people - kinda like gossip celebity magazines  - that we have no intention of ever becoming, but we admire. That guy was soooo good, ooh and aah, lets paint a picture of this good dude and show how much we appreciate how good he was.

That is the exact opposite of what saints and hagiography are all about.

An estimated 9 million Syrians have fled their homes since the outbreak of civil war in March 2011, taking refuge in neighboring countries or within Syria itself. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), over 3 million have fled to Syria's immediate neighbors Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. 6.5 million are internally displaced within Syria. 

~ Our good fortune of peace, posterity and full bellies is something to think about as we celebrate the holiday, Christmas in a couple weeks.  

We (all mankind, rich or poor) in the West, are truly blessed 

Edited by little2add

On December 13, 2015 at 4:29:26 AM, little2add said:

With your line of "thinking" then Barack Obama is a refugee as well.  Not really, His mother raised Obama

Job’s was not a refugee the son of a Syrian immigrant. Jobs biological father was not a refugee immigrated from war torn Syria.  Job’s was born out of wedlock and his mother considered abortion. Job’s was adopted and raised by a catholic couple.   He saw himself as unwanted.  Job’s was not Catholic, he was baptized into a protestant faith (Lutheran), but he practiced Buddhism.

Why are you fabricating such falsehoods? 

Abdul Fattah Jandali was his biological father.

Jandali was born in 1931 in Homs, Syria to a wealthy landowner. His father was a self-made millionaire who owned “several entire villages”, according to his son. He father held complete authority over his children.

His mother was a traditional Muslim woman who “took care of the house and me and my four sisters, but she was conservative, obedient, and a housewife”.

He had wanted to study law at Damascus University to become a lawyer, but his authoritarian father disagreed, saying that there were “too many lawyers in Syria”.

At 18 Jandali left Syria for Lebanon to continue his studies at the American University of Beirut. He described Beirut as the city “where I spent the best days of my life”.

At the university he was an activist for Arab nationalism, and demonstrated for the independence of Algeria and even spent three days in prison.

He did not come to the US from Syria, but he was a rabble rouser in Lebanon and left there coming to the US to go to school, as he could have gone back to Syria which was not in turmoil. And there was no political dissent in that country until 1958. 3 Years BEFORE the birth of Steve Jobs and many years BEFORE this man came to the US.

Jandali studied at Colombia University and Wisconsin University where he received a scholarship that enabled him to obtain a Ph.D. in Economics and Political Sciences.

While studying in Wisconsin Jandali met and dated a German-Swiss Catholic called Joanne Carol Schieble, who was soon pregnant with his child.

Steve Jobs was adopted, was not baptized into the Catholic faith, but the Lutheran faith of his adoptive parents.

Truthfully, the internet is obviously accessible to you, use it once in a while to gather true information on such matters.

So, in closing Steve Jobs biological father was not a refugee, did not come to the US as a refugee, but to access our school system. He found a so-called Catholic girl to mess around with, got her pregnant and Steve Jobs went up for adoption and was adoptive by a faithful Lutheran couple. The end.

No matter the narrative you wish for, taking false witness is a sin.

Edited by StMichael

On December 14, 2015 at 4:02:50 PM, StMichael said:

Why are you fabricating such falsehoods? 

Abdul Fattah Jandali was his biological father.

Jandali was born in 1931 in Homs, Syria to a wealthy landowner. His father was a self-made millionaire who owned “several entire villages”, according to his son. He father held complete authority over his children.

His mother was a traditional Muslim woman who “took care of the house and me and my four sisters, but she was conservative, obedient, and a housewife”.

He had wanted to study law at Damascus University to become a lawyer, but his authoritarian father disagreed, saying that there were “too many lawyers in Syria”.

At 18 Jandali left Syria for Lebanon to continue his studies at the American University of Beirut. He described Beirut as the city “where I spent the best days of my life”.

At the university he was an activist for Arab nationalism, and demonstrated for the independence of Algeria and even spent three days in prison.

He did not come to the US from Syria, but he was a rabble rouser in Lebanon and left there coming to the US to go to school, as he could have gone back to Syria which was not in turmoil. And there was no political dissent in that country until 1958. 3 Years BEFORE the birth of Steve Jobs and many years BEFORE this man came to the US.

Jandali studied at Colombia University and Wisconsin University where he received a scholarship that enabled him to obtain a Ph.D. in Economics and Political Sciences.

While studying in Wisconsin Jandali met and dated a German-Swiss Catholic called Joanne Carol Schieble, who was soon pregnant with his child.

Steve Jobs was adopted, was not baptized into the Catholic faith, but the Lutheran faith of his adoptive parents.

Truthfully, the internet is obviously accessible to you, use it once in a while to gather true information on such matters.

So, in closing Steve Jobs biological father was not a refugee, did not come to the US as a refugee, but to access our school system. He found a so-called Catholic girl to mess around with, got her pregnant and Steve Jobs went up for adoption and was adoptive by a faithful Lutheran couple. The end.

No matter the narrative you wish for, taking false witness is a sin.

false witness ? really

immigrant or  refugee son, either way there is not a whole lot of difference.  what are you getting so upset about, anyway?  

PS: im a sinner

Edited by little2add

20 hours ago, little2add said:

false witness ? really

immigrant or  refugee son, either way there is not a whole lot of difference.  what are you getting so upset about, anyway?  

PS: im a sinner

There is a huge difference in the distinction. It is called language and it is how we communicate.

Immigrant: a person who chooses to live permanently in a foreign country for better opportunities for themselves.

Refugee: a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

And this distinction is important regarding US Law. Refugees are given full access to our welfare state as well as permanent residency. Immigrants have a few more steps to access our welfare state.