An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Ice_nine

Do not implore hell nor takes its reference lightly. 

The saints tell us to pray every day that the hells are empty and they do so for a reason.  

Save your platitudes. Spend your energy hoping refugees are turned away because they didn't fulfill the bureaucratic wet dreams of the US Congress.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2015/10/28/austria-build-fence-along-parts-border-with-slovenia/4LZNWdvBTciXfpQL9aXRUM/story.html or this other

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/jan/29/where-are-the-syrian-refugees-going

versus

WWII

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007094

I see it as since we are not witnessing mass murder on the scale of WWII against the Jews ,  the issue is looked at like it is only some kind of minor backwoods squabble that really does not concern people here in the USA since the issue is taking place across the globe so it must be someone elses problem.  The difference I see versus our government in WWII is the lack of our government to send military force to end the conflict , or to at least send in American forces to evacuate those fleeing. 

What I can't spin this into is some consipiracy to invade other countries via the cry of refugee status. It wouldn't be right to do so.

The option civilians have in a conflict is flight or fight.  An in an occupied planet, where governments own every square inch of land and have zoned out air space and zone out our oceans, exactly where are people supposed to go ?  More over how do you convince your own citizens when refugees are coming in to find safety, that they need to be compassionate to the situation at hand.  I have already heard on the radio of cases where refugee centers are being vandalized and targeted due to people not wanting refugees in their towns...

An America has become; like it or not; the world police force, never around when you need one, and always busting your chops for going 10 over the speed limit.

If those countries not wanting refugees in their back yard are so upset,  then perhaps they need to start considering ways to end the violence be it by peace talks, or by military force.  If those countries that are in the zone of where these refugees are coming from, they are having to make a choice, putting up a fence and ignoring the situation won't make it go away.

It is also, for example, the main reason why neighboring nations to Syria refuse to take in 'migrants'.  

actually the neighbouring nations to syria, like egypt, jordan, Lebanon, iraq etc, even though they are struggling with their own problems, have taken in MILLIONS of syrian refugees. i see now that many people have already pointed this out.

but i want to point something else out. these muslims, the followers of muhammad, are acting more like CHRIST than ACTUAL christians who talk about these people like theyre demons.

All the stories of people's fear remind me of Christ's parable of the Good Samaritan. At that time, the Samaritans were perceived as some sinister threat.

not only were samaritans perceived as some sinister threat, samaritans and judeans actually hated each others guts and there were lots of ethnic tensions there, and outright violence.

christ said love your enemy, not love your perceived enemy who is actually your friend. so even these people who think the refugees are part of a diabolical conspiracy need to learn to love like jesus loved.

also JESUS. this thread. and im not using his name in vain. WHAT IS WRONG WITH (YOU) PEOPLE.

jesus didnt talk about sufficient numbers and borders and rights. he talked about excess and needs. you give up what you have to help someone you dont know.

Isaiah 58:7

Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
    and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover them,
    and not to hide yourself from your own kin?

Edited by Kia ora

Not all conservatives are fascists and not all fascists are conservative...  That's like saying all these refugees are terrorists.  :|

"conservative" =/= conservative.

I thought the quote marks were obvious enough. Apparently, I was wrong. Belligerent foreign policy, nationalism, and advocacy of central planning are neoconservative positions. Neocons believe in ostensible private ownership of the means of production with massive government regulation. That's the economic aspect of fascism (quite clearly leftist). Add to that the three positions I cited as neoconservative, and we're comfortably in the fascist camp.

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

I think those who are too harsh on others for having a genuine concern for their safety in the wake of the Paris attacks need to change their attitudes.  It's not un-Christian to be concerned for the safety of our neighborhoods and communities.  Do we demonize all these refugees?  No, but we would need to use common sense in the wake of the Paris attacks.

Jesus never taught us to be sitting ducks.  That's one thing I learned in the convent.  "Charity" does not equal "doormat..."

dominicansoul

People are discussing "vetting" the refugees.  I'm all for that, but in reality, is it very difficult to weed out terrorists from refugees???  Sadly, we've seen women and even children used as weapons against "infidels."

My heart melts when I see women and children suffering from all the terror and violence.  I can't even watch the news anymore.  How are we supposed to help the victims while discerning which ones are dangerous???

Again, I can't judge the people who don't want any refugees in their states.  I can understand both those who may be a little over cautious and those who feel we need to bring them all in.

crazy times we are living in...

Can anyone say this is not true:

Can anyone say that it is true? Neither one of us has the gift of prophecy as far as I am aware. . .

You could have made that same joke about the Roman Empire during the 1st through 3rd centuries. Things can change.

My heart melts when I see women and children suffering from all the terror and violence.  I can't even watch the news anymore.  How are we supposed to help the victims while discerning which ones are dangerous???

I don't think it should be more difficult than sequencing the entire human genome, finding the Higgs Boson, landing on Mars, etc. . .

Again, I can't judge the people who don't want any refugees in their states.

It seems to me that people who want to ban all refugees or treat them harshly have conceded victory to ISIS. That is precisely what ISIS wants, is it not? That we should stop treating them with the love that Jesus demands of us?

dominicansoul

I seriously doubt ISIS cares about our behavior and how badly we live up to our Christian ideals.  They really just have one mindset do they not?  Total domination, creation of a worldwide Caliphate?  I have heard all day discussions about us playing right into ISIS hands, and by not allowing refugees in is "what ISIS really wants."  I really doubt this because  what they really want is all of us infidels dead... And they would love to come under the cover of refugee status to blow up Washington DC like they promised...

I seriously doubt ISIS cares about our behavior and how badly we live up to our Christian ideals.  They really just have one mindset do they not?  Total domination, creation of a worldwide Caliphate?  I have heard all day discussions about us playing right into ISIS hands, and by not allowing refugees in is "what ISIS really wants."  I really doubt this because  what they really want is all of us infidels dead... And they would love to come under the cover of refugee status to blow up Washington DC like they promised...

What they really want is to cement an us vs them mentality with all muslims on one side and all the kufr on the other to bring about WWIII. They can't do that if a number of Muslims are embraced into the fabric of Western civilization, that is precisely the tension they don't want. THey don't want love or friendship between Muslims and others, so why should we give it to them? Why should we be so hostile so that ISIS becomes the only entity that embraces muslims? Do you think that's good for anyone?

dominicansoul

I think Pope Francis is already calling this war with ISIS "WWIII."

I don't disagree with you, but like I said, how do we make it so that we aren't open to terrorists when we bring in refugees?  This is the conundrum, and I don't think anyone should be like, "all you meanie conservatives HATE HATE HATE muslims and poor people who need help, blah blah blah."  I find that to be intellectually dishonest.  No one wants to throw "widows and orphans" to the wolves.  (And just how many of those widows and orphans ARE wolves?)  We just don't want what happened in Paris to happen in our own communities, to our neighbors and our families and friends.  It's that simple.

The barking between "sides" in America is ridiculous, and Hussein has already made our country very very divisive.  I think that is more in line with what ISIS wants, a divided country they can easily destroy.  Whites vs Blacks, poor vs rich, Blacks vs Cops, Homosexuals vs Religious, Black homosexuals vs Jews, (okay I made that one up, but you never know what's on the horizon...)   All this division makes the USA's immunity weak, very very weak, probably the weakest its been since its creation...  Also PC liberal croutons should just be thrown aside because that dung is just gonna get us killed.  We need a common sense response to this crisis, not a feel good mushy emotional one that makes us extremely vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

What's even more ridiculous is that all the political leaders who are calling for a wide open door to the refugees will never see them or have any contact with them.  The refugees won't be entering their neighborhoods and their communities.  Besides, the president has 24/7 protection and plenty of guns ready to fire at danger around him... we peons don't have that.  (Well, thankfully, our republican governor has given us at least the right to bear arms on us at all times in my state...at least we have that protection...)

I honestly think "Black Friday" is a really really bad idea this year.  Easy targets...large groups in enclosed areas?  How convenient for ISIS!

...and we all know the Pres doesn't shop at Wal Mart! Lol