An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Ice_nine

There is nothing hateful or extreme in what I present:

1. Help the needful. 

2. If the refugees wish to become citizens let them follow due process lawfully in place. 

3. Help in addressin the source of the problem in their respective homeland

It is unfortunate that a balanced and sensible approach is met with accusations and derison.  

But you are focusing on a hypothetical question about naturalisation and citizenship rather than addressing the issues at hand. You have also written that most Syrian refugees are young men, which isn't true - the majority are actually children under seventeen and of the adults, women slightly outnumber men. It isn't balanced or sensible to make an argument based on inaccurate figures and to start talking about refugees as future threats to the wellbeing of the citizens of their host countries as though that's the primary issue here, not the imminent risk to their lives. If that's your main concern right now then I think people will question the kindness of your attitudes and intentions.

My ancestors came to America running from religious persecution, famine, war, and for land to call their own. Some were complete booty seeking pillagers. Had a refugee come to one of our holiday parties a couple of years ago. Her family had all been chopped to pieces in front of her. She survived by agreeing to marry the guy with the machete. Obviously escaped later. Had only been in Canada about two weeks. 

She now runs a business that employs six single moms, all abuse survivors. If there's a 100,000 more like her, and the U.S. doesn't want them, please send them to us. Maybe this crisis is so God can repopulate the West. Didn't Planned Parenthood kill over 300,000 kids last year?  Either there is room for that many more people, or we're on the wrong side of the pro-life debate. 

There is nothing hateful or extreme in what I present:

1. Help the needful. 

2. If the refugees wish to become citizens let them follow due process lawfully in place. 

3. Help in addressin the source of the problem in their respective homeland

It is unfortunate that a balanced and sensible approach is met with accusations and derison.  

I'm glad you've toned it down!    You're welcome.   #thumbsup.  #givemeyourpooryourtiredyourhuddledmassesyearningtobreathefree

better registered and via Ellis Island than undocumented via a coyote across the Rio   The first mistake is saying no and forcing them to stay outside the system  

I'm glad you've toned it down!    You're welcome.   #thumbsup.  #givemeyourpooryourtiredyourhuddledmassesyearningtobreathefree

better registered and via Ellis Island than undocumented via a coyote across the Rio   The first mistake is saying no and forcing them to stay outside the system  

The only reason I'm in this thread is for the props...

This is what I posted. I don't know what the real numbers are and never claimed to know it. 

Didn't I say I didn't know what to make of it?

How  you conclude from this anything at all?

It would seem to me that I am far from being the most extremist person in this thread.  

I guess Id disagree with it then. Still, the US has done very little so far, we can do better.

First you praise the post and insist anyone whop does not follow it are not good catholics, then you just. Brush it aside 'cause there is an element you don't like...

I can only conclude you're not a catholic? Or christian for that matter?

bardegaulois

A "spiritual not religious" person is as much a judge of what is Catholic as I am of what accords with Shariah law. Interestingly enough, I'm not running around talking to Muslims about what accords with Shariah law and what doesn't. Do you think there is a lesson to be found in this?

Are you commenting on the Norman conquerors of the Welsh Homeland?

I believe Didacus is a Frog Cannuck.  

Syrians are a melange of Arabs, Persians, and Turks.  ;)

And do you have anything against Normans or Frog Canucks? Or, in other words, my (and Didacus's?) valiant ancestors who played so important a role in building up our Christendom?

And do you have anything against Normans or Frog Canucks? Or, in other words, my (and Didacus's?) valiant ancestors who played so important a role in building up our Christendom?

bard, 

In context it was a response to Nada about the broad practice of invasion throughout the world.  Her comment seemed to try to point out US and a few countries as being unique or rare in the diminishing of "native" or first inhabitants and their culture. 

Sure I can something against Frogs or Normans, etc but it would not be because of race or nationality.  Issues would be for specific persons that may happen to belong to that set. ;)  

So tell me, bard, in the context of Nada's post and my response, are you saying whatever invasion or eradication of native cultures  they may have done, it's okay (even valiant) because they established Christendom?

I can only conclude you're not a catholic? Or christian for that matter?

what gave me away? My willingness to help the needy? Yeah, super non Christian of me.

what gave me away? My willingness to help the needy? Yeah, super non Christian of me.

So just making up your beliefs as you go along - whatever best serves you and your warm good feeling inside.  

That explains a lot. 

So just making up your beliefs as you go along - whatever best serves you and your warm good feeling inside.  

That explains a lot. 

Am I doing something wrong in your opinion by wanting to help those in need? Can only Catholics do that? Or are the rest of us heathens allowed to help?

That explains a lot. 

I just think it's important to help them, and I would be willing to house them. I really hate to see how messed up this world is. 

Am I doing something wrong in your opinion by wanting to help those in need? Can only Catholics do that? Or are the rest of us heathens allowed to help?

You needlessly criticize catholics because they disagree with you. 

You are nothing more than a mocking bird pricking away at christian good will. I see no purpose in responding to you any further. 

dominicansoul

Since I cannot house a family, how else can I help? I hate to see what's happening and they are suffering tremendously.  Is there an agency we can donate to that is there with boots on the ground and actually helping them?  I hate to donate and not know if my money even reaches those who need help...

I wouldn't want to give to a pro-abortion organization though... I'm sure there are Catholic agencies but which ones are trustworthy and don't have a history of their CPO's taking the money and running???

Since I cannot house a family, how else can I help? I hate to see what's happening and they are suffering tremendously.  Is there an agency we can donate to that is there with boots on the ground and actually helping them?  I hate to donate and not know if my money even reaches those who need help...

Maybe Catholic Charities or Catholic Worker houses? I know the one near me (which is actually kind of far) is helping refugees. I'm going to ask my priest what I can do to help.