An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Ice_nine

So... Just blame it all on "w" and blast conservatives for not being compassionate like you vented in your original post?  Got it.

I can blame all the presidents we've had in my lifetime for this mess.  But most of all I blame radical Islamic terrorism and their beloved jihad.

I have an anxiety disorder, I'm sure part of it has to do with some traumatic events in my life.  I also work with international students so I wonder if one day at work some kid will blow himself up in my office.  I used to think that was outlandish thinking, but not anymore...

I do think in this particular instance more blame falls on W then Obama, sure. He started a war over there. With no war, there was no way to "leave a vacuum." And is it really preferable to occupy a territory where you are unwelcome for a indefinite period of time? It may have been poor strategy to withdraw troops but if you can't see the immorality of occupying foreign territory, and the whole reason you're posted on foreign soil is because of a lie, well then I don't know what to tell you. Again, defending Obama makes me feel really gross, so thanks.

I don't see where I "blasted conservatives" either. Perhaps tone is getting lost on the internet. I understand your fears. It's understandable to be afraid after you see so much blood on tv replaying over and over, I get it. But I think the call to live as a Christian is radical, and so at times, dangerous. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm afraid too, and who knows how I would react if I were directly involved in the refugee situation, but the call to be the good samaritan is for all of us.

You seem to understand the idea of obeying the words of Christ, even though it may cause you to experience great pain, hardship, or even death in certain situations (e.g. unwanted pregnancy/abortion, divorce, sexually immorality), but when it comes to the refugee situation you think it's acceptable to take the easy way out?

Don't misunderstand my tone as "blasting" just because I don't think your response is acceptable. It's a critique is all.

dominicansoul

I've been thinking about everything thats been said about this subject, here and elsewhere, and honestly, I don't think conservatives believe this is supposed to "suddenly work."  I think the issue at hand is security in light of the Paris attacks, and as Ampax noted above, everybody is reacting emotionally.  But I think no matter what measures we take, its really pointless because the government cant protect us from anybody.  We have potential terrorists already living amongst us and they've been here for awhile.  In terms of all the statistics and the numbers...well, it doesn't take many to bring down towers (19 took down the world trade center,) nor does it take a large number to create chaos (8 in Paris.)  Not to mention the other "lone wolf" incidents that have occurred in our country that were quickly labeled "workplace violence."

I'm not going to depend on the government to secure our country.  I'm just going to be packing from now on.  My state allows open carry.  I think that's the best chance for all of us, we need to be ready to defend ourselves if these horrible things were to occur in our communities and where we work and where we live...; arm the citizenry, because that's how we'll take down these animals and stop them in their tracks, one by one if need be.

My state allows open carry. 

My state also has a permission slip system for carrying a means of self defense. How gracious.

To get back on topic . . .

If a group of men, complete strangers whom you knew absolutely nothing about were to show up at your door, saying they need shelter and requesting to stay at your house with your wife and kids while you were away for work or something, would you take them in?

Sure, they might just be good guys in need of help, but is would you really be willing to take that kind of risk with the safety of your family?

Well if not, then you're a cold-hearted Evil, Evil Fascist/Nazi/Commie WHO GOES AGAINST JESUS!!!!!!

(Well, at least if you follow the rhetoric of some folks.)

And, yes, wrapping yourself in "Jesus" to play partisan politics here is taking His name in vain, imho.

The murderous attacks in Paris were real,  not just some right-wing paranoid hypothetical, and they had real victims.  Wishing to take steps to protect others against something similar does not make one some kind of evil anti-Christ.  It's not a simple black-and-white moral issue.

But let's forgo rational debate, and instead engage in mindless and nonsensical name-calling, because, yeah, that's what Jesus would do.

The FBI director and others have said their is no data collected on the Syrians prior to their migration, so they can't really be vetted.  There's no real way of telling the good guys from the bad guys.  And if only 1% of 10,000 refugees are terrorists then that's 100 terrorists in the country - more than enough to do serious damage.

If a group of men, complete strangers whom you knew absolutely nothing about were to show up at your door, saying they need shelter and requesting to stay at your house with your wife and kids while you were away for work or something, would you take them in?

wow you are so right I've never thought about it this way I found your post really thought provoking and original this is a totally flawless analogy how do you do it?

And I think DS already mentioned this but how we feel and what we think should be done really has no bearing on what will actually be happening. So take heart in that!

Sure, they might just be good guys in need of help, but is would you really be willing to take that kind of risk with the safety of your family?

Well if not, then you're a cold-hearted Evil, Evil Fascist/Nazi/Commie WHO GOES AGAINST JESUS!!!!!!

(Well, at least if you follow the rhetoric of some folks.)

And, yes, wrapping yourself in "Jesus" to play partisan politics here is taking His name in vain, imho.

The murderous attacks in Paris were real,  not just some right-wing paranoid hypothetical, and they had real victims.  Wishing to take steps to protect others against something similar does not make one some kind of evil anti-Christ.  It's not a simple black-and-white moral issue.

But let's forgo rational debate, and instead engage in mindless and nonsensical name-calling, because, yeah, that's what Jesus would do.

The FBI director and others have said their is no data collected on the Syrians prior to their migration, so they can't really be vetted.  There's no real way of telling the good guys from the bad guys.  And if only 1% of 10,000 refugees are terrorists then that's 100 terrorists in the country - more than enough to do serious damage.

Bro. I think you realize that I respect your opinion. But I think that here you really go too far. I rebuke you. J/K

But seriously. Who is it that is saying that people who want to keep refugees out are "a cold-hearted Evil, Evil Fascist/Nazi/Commie WHO GOES AGAINST JESUS!!!!!!"? This really does seem to be something that is more so in the minds of some people than what is actually being said. I thought it was supposed to be Democrats who have a victim mentality? But perhaps I have just not seen the rhetoric to which you refer.

I hope you aren't referring to me when you say "wrapping yourself in Jesus to play partisan politics." I would take serious personal offense to that. It seems to me that there are at least two possibilities. 1) That people are invoking the name of Jesus in order to further the political positions that they advocate, without any real concern for what Jesus teaches or 2) that there are people who are very concerned with what Jesus teaches, earnestly apply those teachings as they understand them, and reach a conclusion that is different than yours. You complained about people unfairly characterizing people with more conservative views as cold-hearted or evil, but then you accuse people with more liberal views as using Jesus only as a mascot for political gain. Is that fair, friend?

As for your "group of men" question, I doubt that I would let them in. Does that have anything to do with the refugee crisis? If it does, if you could explain exactly what the connection or relevance is it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Peace

But seriously. Who is it that is saying that people who want to keep refugees out are "a cold-hearted Evil, Evil Fascist/Nazi/Commie WHO GOES AGAINST JESUS!!!!!!"? This really does seem to be something that is more so in the minds of some people than what is actually being said. 

Eh, well... Some of my friends on Facebook have essentially said as much. The rhetoric is dialled up pretty high at the moment. Reminded me how much of a contrarian streak I have.:rain: Not to say that there is not anti-refugee rhetoric as well. Somehow - probably mainly psychologically - the former is making me somewhat more annoyed right now.

Eh, well... Some of my friends on Facebook have essentially said as much. The rhetoric is dialled up pretty high at the moment. Reminded me how much of a contrarian streak I have.:rain: Not to say that there is not anti-refugee rhetoric as well. Somehow - probably mainly psychologically - the former is making me somewhat more annoyed right now.

Wait a second. People still use Facebook? I don't think that anything written on FB should count as a communication that occurred in reality.

Wait a second. People still use Facebook? I don't think that anything written on FB should count as a communication that occurred in reality.

Sure. It is only obnoxious teenagers and hipsters who think Facebook is on its way out. ;)

I know it's not a soundbite, but this article provides numbers and other stuff that might add something other than fear to the conversation.

http://www.cato.org/blog/syrian-refugees-dont-pose-serious-security-threat

And here's another article regarding the process. It even includes a quote about the inability to "thoroughly vet" refugees.

It's apparently acceptable that gun purchases don't require  thorough vetting. Because liberty is better than safety. Except with foreigners.

• 2 weeks later...

did you know?

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs  was a Syrian refugee, adopted and raised from birth by a catholic couple in San Francisco

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs ( February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) was an American technology entrepreneur, visionary and inventor. He was the co-founder, chairman, and chief executive officer (CEO) of Apple Inc.; CEO and largest shareholder of Pixar Animation Studios;[3] a member of The Walt Disney Company's board of directors following its acquisition of Pixar; and founder, chairman, and CEO of NeXT Inc. Jobs is widely recognized as a pioneer of the microcomputer revolution of the 1970s, along with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak

KnightofChrist
7 minutes ago, little2add said:

did you know?

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs  was a Syrian refugee, adopted and raised from birth by a catholic couple in San Francisco

Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs ( February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) was an American technology entrepreneur, visionary and inventor. He was the co-founder, chairman, and chief executive officer (CEO) of Apple Inc.; CEO and largest shareholder of Pixar Animation Studios;[3] a member of The Walt Disney Company's board of directors following its acquisition of Pixar; and founder, chairman, and CEO of NeXT Inc. Jobs is widely recognized as a pioneer of the microcomputer revolution of the 1970s, along with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak

It was actually Steve Jobs' biological father who was a refugee. Steve Jobs was born in San Fransisco and after his biological father left Syria, at least a year or years before. Still interesting.

2 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

It was actually Steve Jobs' biological father who was a refugee. Steve Jobs was born in San Fransisco and after his biological father left Syria, at least a year or years before. Still interesting.

close enough,   then he could be characterized as a Anchor Baby too

KnightofChrist
Just now, little2add said:

close enough,   then he could be characterized as a Anchor Baby too

Close true, but truth matters. I'm not sure Jobs was conceived in Syria and then born here, I think his bio father and bio mother met in the US, after the bio father's escape from Syria.