An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Ice_nine

Oremus Pro Invicem

Since I cannot house a family, how else can I help? I hate to see what's happening and they are suffering tremendously.  Is there an agency we can donate to that is there with boots on the ground and actually helping them?  I hate to donate and not know if my money even reaches those who need help...

I wouldn't want to give to a pro-abortion organization though... I'm sure there are Catholic agencies but which ones are trustworthy and don't have a history of their CPO's taking the money and running???

Here is one I found. 

https://catholiccharitiesaz.org/donation-campaign-pages/bless-refugees

I didn't find anything about them supporting pro-abortion organizations.  Sad we have to worry about these things with Catholic charities. 

You needlessly criticize catholics because they disagree with you. 

You are nothing more than a mocking bird pricking away at christian good will. I see no purpose in responding to you any further. 

I am pressing you for a more coherent answer. You profess to be a good Catholic or very well adherent to Catholic teaching as your title of Church Militant informs me, correct? If so, I am challenging to use your faith as a reason to explain your stance since you are Catholic first. Think of it as a way of teaching a dumb heathen.

Why are you Didacus, a good well rounded Catholic man, against allowing the poor and needy into a safe haven during a time of crisis? What does your catholic faith inform you of what Jesus would have done in a similar situation?

Edited by CrossCuT

It seems the refuge situation in Calais is very ugly, and charity funds are considering halting their aid:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3262220/UK-charity-considers-cutting-aid-Jungle-Calais-visiting-camp-deciding-migrants-no-real-reason-leave-home-country.html

I am not very skilled at searching the internet or verifying sources - can anyone collaborate this story?

Archaeology cat

It seems the refuge situation in Calais is very ugly, and charity funds are considering halting their aid:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3262220/UK-charity-considers-cutting-aid-Jungle-Calais-visiting-camp-deciding-migrants-no-real-reason-leave-home-country.html

I am not very skilled at searching the internet or verifying sources - can anyone collaborate this story?

I'll see what I can find when I have time, but in general don't believe the Daily Mail unless you can verify the story elsewhere.

I'll see what I can find when I have time, but in general don't believe the Daily Mail unless you can verify the story elsewhere.

That is precisely what I would like to do is verify it. 

Hard to do with my very limited skills. 

Archaeology cat

That is precisely what I would like to do is verify it. 

Hard to do with my very limited skills. 

No, I knew that's what you wanted. I just wasn't clear. I'm tired this morning. I did find something else also speaking of that charity wanting to discontinue aid for those reasons. Whether the head of that charity is correct or not, I don't know, since everything else I've seen seems to indicate that these are genuine refugees. I don't know. 

See my previous posts, reply to your own question.  

No need to repeat myself.  

So you are ok with them seeking refuge but you dont want them to become migrants and stay where they find refuge?

Please correct me if Im wrong. But the question still remains, why is there such a strong sense of nationalism? Borders, politics, governments etc are all man made fake constructs of control. The earth is for everyone. I would imagine a catholic would first have the mindset that these are all humans looking for a better life vs a pungent potential taint in your idealistic nationally pure society. 

So Crosscut, why don't you have Syrian refugees living with you are working to make it happen?   Or are you giving them the money they need that you don't have a greater right too?   Please explain.  

So Crosscut, why don't you have Syrian refugees living with you are working to make it happen?   Or are you giving them the money they need that you don't have a greater right too?   Please explain.  

My fiance and I are actually seriously considering paying for a second apartment so that a family who couldnt afford it could live there. Id love for it to be a Syrian refugee family and I will endeavor to find one!

But also being a vocal supporter to urge our politicians to allow more into the US is about as much as we can do besides monetary support.

Edited by CrossCuT

CCT is just fishing and trolling. Just the format of the question is loaded - time is better spent ressurecting old threads. 

I know I can be prickly at the best of times, but it really was an honest question. Ive fallen away from my faith for a number of reasons but one of them was the seeming contradiction in word and action on part of the church (small c). It was very confusing for a teen who was trying to make sense of all the croutons going on and why a church that boasted about their true love of Jesus and the golden rule never seemed to really show it in action. Now of course thats not true for ALL small c church people, and its also not true for all topics either. But its that odd imbalance that confuses me. Why fight so hard for one group of people but never for other groups of people? I was just trying to get you to explain through catholic teaching why you had your stance. 

My conclusion (and please correct me if I am wrong)

1. Your stance on not wanting immigrants in the US is not based in your Catholic faith

2. Your stance is based on political leanings to the right in concordance with nationalism or maybe self preservation of cultural/religious identity 

Edited by CrossCuT

I know I can be prickly at the best of times, but it really was an honest question. Ive fallen away from my faith for a number of reasons but one of them was the seeming contradiction in word and action on part of the church (small c). It was very confusing for a teen who was trying to make sense of all the croutons going on and why a church that boasted about their true love of Jesus and the golden rule never seemed to really show it in action. Now of course thats not true for ALL small c church people, and its also not true for all topics either. But its that odd imbalance that confuses me. Why fight so hard for one group of people but never for other groups of people? I was just trying to get you to explain through catholic teaching why you had your stance. 

My conclusion (and please correct me if I am wrong)

1. Your stance on not wanting immigrants in the US is not based in your Catholic faith

2. Your stance is based on political leanings to the right in concordance with nationalism or maybe self preservation of cultural/religious identity 

Crosscut,

I became ex-Catholic in my 40's after 10+ years of Catholic education and years spent teaching Catholicism. I can appreciate and respect disagreement. But you are finding issue where there is none.  Catholic social teaching is much more balanced and broad then is generally admitted. As Nada had posted from the USCCB, nations have a responsibility for its citizens as well and migrants rights are equal, not superior to citizens rights.  Nationalism is not a dirty word if seen as a commonality of identity and shared responsibility.  Much like a family in sense.   The response to refugees and migrants must be tempered with responsibilities to current citizens and contributors to regional society.   Read all three principles that were noted.

If you insist that only one or two are valid, then don't whine if someone else picks out a different one or two principles.  You both have agreed to dissent, and certainly demonstrate unwillingness to concede or cooperate on anything. 

CCT - you should never place your trust in men. Believe in Christ, but always be skeptical of the ground crew.  

My position is that the refuges should migrate in accordance with existing laws: there is nothing anti-christian about that. The rest is only political details which can be discussed at political levels on a general scale. 

In so far as heritage is concerned - I am far more adversed to people. Of my own heritage inclined to learn and uphold the heritage of others prior to their own. My point of view is that before we reach to. Other cultures we should first learn our own. Hence - our openedness to other cultures should not be extended at the sacrifice of our own. In that view - I hold my kins to account but have no detriment to provide to others. If we as so disposed to discard our culture and have it replaced by another's then the fault is entirely our ownn and whatever is gained by someone else is simply their legitimate gain and so be it. 

Anything else you'd like to know?

Crosscut,

I became ex-Catholic in my 40's after 10+ years of Catholic education and years spent teaching Catholicism. I can appreciate and respect disagreement. But you are finding issue where there is none.  Catholic social teaching is much more balanced and broad then is generally admitted. As Nada had posted from the USCCB, nations have a responsibility for its citizens as well and migrants rights are equal, not superior to citizens rights.  Nationalism is not a dirty word if seen as a commonality of identity and shared responsibility.  Much like a family in sense.   The response to refugees and migrants must be tempered with responsibilities to current citizens and contributors to regional society.   Read all three principles that were noted.

If you insist that only one or two are valid, then don't whine if someone else picks out a different one or two principles.  You both have agreed to dissent, and certainly demonstrate unwillingness to concede or cooperate on anything. 

CCT - you should never place your trust in men. Believe in Christ, but always be skeptical of the ground crew.  

My position is that the refuges should migrate in accordance with existing laws: there is nothing anti-christian about that. The rest is only political details which can be discussed at political levels on a general scale. 

In so far as heritage is concerned - I am far more adversed to people. Of my own heritage inclined to learn and uphold the heritage of others prior to their own. My point of view is that before we reach to. Other cultures we should first learn our own. Hence - our openedness to other cultures should not be extended at the sacrifice of our own. In that view - I hold my kins to account but have no detriment to provide to others. If we as so disposed to discard our culture and have it replaced by another's then the fault is entirely our ownn and whatever is gained by someone else is simply their legitimate gain and so be it. 

Anything else you'd like to know?

Thank you  both! I concede!