An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kerry Charged With Heresy In Canonical Court

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:38 AM']
I never claimed otherwise. [/quote]
:) Never said you did , I' m agreeing with your point, that society in gen. is the one that's being misled. Sorry, if it looked like I was; I shouldn't be writing this late :P

John Kerry is being charged with heresy in Canon Courts.

Good? Bad? Neutral?

I say BAD! Very BAD!

Firstly, it will make it appear that the Church is becoming involed in poltics *which the guy bringing this case everywell maybe.* That is probly not good for the Catholic Church. Esp senice it is being done during an election year, when Mr. Kerry is running for the office of the Pres. PRwise it isn't going to be good.

Secondly, will doing this really bring any less scandal on the American Catholic Church? If Ameican Catholics are able to be mislead by Mr. Kerry (as some claim) about the Church and abortion, what will lead them to understand the goal of Canon law. Canon law is not meant to be punitive but to teach a lesson and bring that person back into the folds of the Roman Catholic Church. Today, many people don't see it as such. They see excom as something REALLY bad (which it is) and irrevesable. Hello! We have all been excommed once or more like 1000's of times. It is desgined to sperate us from the Church so we relize how much we need Mother Church, mend our ways, and come home and ask for foregiveness. The papers are going to hype it if Mr. Kerry is excommed and make it seems as though it were lasting and forever. Doing so would, in many peoples minds, make the Church look like she is disreagarding Catholic teachings on forgiveness. Thereby, bringing even MORE scandal to the Church.

In my HO

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='luciana' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:57 AM'] :) Never said you did , I' m agreeing with your point, that society in gen. is the one that's being misled. Sorry, if it looked like I was; I shouldn't be writing this late :P [/quote]
Okie dokie!

:D

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]Firstly, it will make it appear that the Church is becoming involed in poltics *which the guy bringing this case everywell maybe.* That is probly not good for the Catholic Church. Esp senice it is being done during an election year, when Mr. Kerry is running for the office of the Pres. PRwise it isn't going to be good.[/quote]

I tend to think that if we do what is right in the things presented to us, in those areas in which we are able to act, then, by the grace of God, everything else will fall into place.

We are presented with the matter of a man who has cut himself off from the teachings of the Magisterium, but who still calls himself a Catholic and who causes grave scandal to the American Churches. Regardless of his political stature, he should be given the treatment the Church calls for, which is for Communion to be withheld. I believe that if this is done, God will make other things fall into place. In matters of right and wrong, there is not diplomacy; we must always choose the right in whatever matters confront us, big or small. God, I believe, will take care of the rest. I think that is what faith and hope are.

I look to St. Maria Goretti for this. She was faced with rape and murder, but she spent her last breaths not saving her own life by yielding, even if it would have meant she could live and serve God longer, but instead she spent them exhorting her murderer not to kill her, for the sake of his own soul. She did the most immediate good, and God made everything else fall into place.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Jul 3 2004, 12:59 AM']John Kerry is being charged with heresy in Canon Courts.

Good? Bad? Neutral?

I say BAD! Very BAD!

Firstly, it will make it appear that the Church is becoming involed in poltics *which the guy bringing this case everywell maybe.* That is probly not good for the Catholic Church. Esp senice it is being done during an election year, when Mr. Kerry is running for the office of the Pres. PRwise it isn't going to be good.

Secondly, will doing this really bring any less scandal on the American Catholic Church? If Ameican Catholics are able to be mislead by Mr. Kerry (as some claim) about the Church and abortion, what will lead them to understand the goal of Canon law. Canon law is not meant to be punitive but to teach a lesson and bring that person back into the folds of the Roman Catholic Church. Today, many people don't see it as such. They see excom as something REALLY bad (which it is) and irrevesable. Hello! We have all been excommed once or more like 1000's of times. It is desgined to sperate us from the Church so we relize how much we need Mother Church, mend our ways, and come home and ask for foregiveness. The papers are going to hype it if Mr. Kerry is excommed and make it seems as though it were lasting and forever. Doing so would, in many peoples minds, make the Church look like she is disreagarding Catholic teachings on forgiveness. Thereby, bringing even MORE scandal to the Church.

In my HO[/quote]
i dont think those reasons are valid.

one, american catholics would look alot dumber we didnt do anyting about it. cuz it would look like we agree with him to allow such a thing.

and two, this scandal needs to stop. this is too serious and too grave,expecially in order to not make canon law look bad.

thats what canon law is therefor , we need to uphold it and use it.

to protect and guard the Church. :shield:

im glad we're using it.

I don't disagree with you Micah but I think the timing my call more scandal on the Church and make it look like she is trying to play poltics with Canon law. We have already heard that about communion...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote] I don't disagree with you Micah but I think the timing my call more scandal on the Church and make it look like she is trying to play poltics with Canon law. We have already heard that about communion...[/quote]

I think it is a weak argument that the Church would be taken as trying to drive US politics. I think it would only be perceived that way if those in control of the mass media wanted it to be perceived that way (which they would).

Those who see the Church as doing that and those who would spread that propaganda would be doing evil. We cannot refuse to do good for fear of the evil they would spread. Rather, we must take a stand now in the wake of evil and let God destroy the evil.

They aren't good reasons, yes. But I am worried about more scandal. It seems nowadays the news can't say "Catholic" without something bad. Something has to be done about Kerry, yes. But I am still worried about the media attention and misinfromation it will pass out. If Catholics can be so misinformed about something like abortion... what prevents them from being informed about this?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]It seems nowadays the news can't say "Catholic" without something bad.[/quote]

Ahh...the travesty of watching CNN and listening to NPR...you've gotta get out more...

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:17 AM']
Ahh...the travesty of watching CNN and listening to NPR...you've gotta get out more... [/quote]
Na. NPR is good about it. I am talking about MSNBC, the Rockford paper, local news, CBS, NBC, ABC, the ?BC's, FOX, and so forth.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Jul 3 2004, 02:19 AM'] Na. NPR is good about it. I am talking about MSNBC, the Rockford paper, local news, CBS, NBC, ABC, the ?BC's, FOX, and so forth. [/quote]
FOX isn't anti-Catholic. I'm a regular viewer and I can't tell you how many times the commentators (a sizeable number of them are Catholic, by the way) defended the Church. Neil Cavuto did once and I thanked him in an email and he responded. Nice guy...

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:15 AM'] They aren't good reasons, yes. But I am worried about more scandal. It seems nowadays the news can't say "Catholic" without something bad. Something has to be done about Kerry, yes. But I am still worried about the media attention and misinfromation it will pass out. If Catholics can be so misinformed about something like abortion... what prevents them from being informed about this? [/quote]
uh......when did the Church start worrying about what the [i]media[/i] had to say about She does? :fishslap:

and actually consider their actions to the fit within the agenda of the media? :unsure:

the media isnt' an issue, and never will be to the Church......

i dont think the Truth will be mislead by the media. i mean look at us! we're still here! :sweat: even when they claim the Pope went wondering off.....(tho i really dont find that newspaper funny just plain sad)

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Spiritual_Arsonist' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:43 AM'] Mother knows best. Follow the church, darn it!!!! [/quote]
LOL :rolling: your sig always make me laugh S_A!

"Dont make me set you on fire!" :rotfl:

and it also scares me, since i dont like fire. :ph34r:

:sweat: :rolling: