Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

What do you guys think of as modest dressing?

I hear tcw always talking about women dressing modestly and I want to just know what is the standard of modest?

Does this mean no bare shoulders? No forearm showing? No Legs showing?
Or no tight clothing? No cleavage?

And what about guys? What are the standards for guys?

I see guys with theis shirts off all the time, and frankly there are very few guy around here I want to see with their shirts off. I also do not want to see anyone's underwear....be it a some girl's thong or some guy's boxers.

What is modest to you guys?

theculturewarrior
Posted

I accept that what I think is immodest a lot of women do not see any problem with. Remember the little brother in the Christmas Story? The way his mother dressed him for winter is the way I wish women would dress.

I'm sick of midriffs. I also don't want to see anybody's underwear. Tight fitting clothes tempt me. I admit, I'm as culpable in this as anybody...but man...it makes sharia look welcoming. Well, not really, but anyway...

Posted

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Nov 30 2004, 04:54 PM'] I accept that what I think is immodest a lot of women do not see any problem with. Remember the little brother in the Christmas Story? The way his mother dressed him for winter is the way I wish women would dress.
[/quote]
that would be so hot dressed up in all of those layers :unsure:

Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Nov 30 2004, 05:47 PM'] Does this mean no bare shoulders? No forearm showing? No Legs showing?
Or no tight clothing? No cleavage? [/quote]
It depends on my mood and the way the person acts I guess. The only thing (from the list you've provided) is showing a lot of cleavage. Some is fine, but a lot can be tempting.

Tight clothing isn't really a problem, it's the [b]super[/b] tight clothing where you can see the woman's underpants.

Posted

I think tight clothing is the biggest no no. As a guy, that can be as distracting as any cleavage or forearm showing. Tight clothing puts the whole form of the woman's body on exhibit. Makes it really difficult for us guys to think clearly and keep our eyes from wandering when your pointing out your whole body to us.

Tip: Please save the tight clothing for your husband. I think he'll like it.


el paz,

-Joe

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

[quote name='Duc_In_Altum' date='Nov 30 2004, 05:33 PM'] Tip: Please save the tight clothing for your husband. I think he'll like it. [/quote]
:lol:

Guest Eremite
Posted

Modesty is really hard to measure. I've seen very very faithful Catholic women wearing things that I would not wear if I were a woman. But I realize that there is a certain amount of legitimate disagreement on the matter. I agree with the person above that tight clothing really isn't modest. I know some people object to women wearing pants, but I think that is excessive.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Nov 30 2004, 05:47 PM'] What do you guys think of as modest dressing?

I hear tcw always talking about women dressing modestly and I want to just know what is the standard of modest?

Does this mean no bare shoulders? No forearm showing? No Legs showing?
Or no tight clothing? No cleavage?

And what about guys? What are the standards for guys?

I see guys with theis shirts off all the time, and frankly there are very few guy around here I want to see with their shirts off. I also do not want to see anyone's underwear....be it a some girl's thong or some guy's boxers.

What is modest to you guys? [/quote]
First: [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=23583&view=findpost&p=413662"]Linkage[/url] :cool:

Second:

1. As little cleavage as possible...that's just asking for unwelcomed attention.
2. Bare shoulders...eh...some men would be attracted if there is a lot of "sculpture" to them.
3. I think forearms can actually be cute, but as for scandalous, not really.
4. Legs...I tend to think that if you are showing any more than your knees, you need more length. I think capris do modestly while remaining cute and attractive.
5. No tight clothing. Anything which makes any parts of the body, particularly those parts which are made mostly of fat (breasts, buttocks, etc.), stick out (I mean that literally and figuratively), should go. There are certain fabrics which sort of cling to the body without being tight...if they don't give extra emphasis to any part of the body (being uniform in color helps a lot with this), then they can be good. What annoys me the most in clothing is when women wear shirts that are so tight they actually seem to tuck-in under the breasts...that's not good...it's very scandalous, because it almost gives the impression of nudity.
6. Girls in men's sports jersies and such...bad idea...most of the time, something that "unusual" is arousing and isn't good...

Third: I would like to know what the modesty standards should be for guys. I imagine that we shouldn't wear anything that shows of muscular torsos, but besides that, I'm not sure.

Guest Eremite
Posted

[quote]I would like to know what the modesty standards should be for guys. I imagine that we shouldn't wear anything that shows of muscular torsos, but besides that, I'm not sure. [/quote]

I've thought about this before, without many conclusions. I wondered whether no shirt on men is immodest, but I can imagine Jesus fishing with the Apostles without a shirt on. I don't think the upper male torso is sexually inviting as it is on women. Then again, I can't speak for women.

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 30 2004, 05:55 PM'] First: [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=23583&view=findpost&p=413662"]Linkage[/url] :cool:

Second:

1. As little cleavage as possible...that's just asking for unwelcomed attention.
2. Bare shoulders...eh...some men would be attracted if there is a lot of "sculpture" to them.
3. I think forearms can actually be cute, but as for scandalous, not really.
4. Legs...I tend to think that if you are showing any more than your knees, you need more length. I think capris do modestly while remaining cute and attractive.
5. No tight clothing. Anything which makes any parts of the body, particularly those parts which are made mostly of fat (breasts, buttocks, etc.), stick out (I mean that literally and figuratively), should go. There are certain fabrics which sort of cling to the body without being tight...if they don't give extra emphasis to any part of the body (being uniform in color helps a lot with this), then they can be good. What annoys me the most in clothing is when women wear shirts that are so tight they actually seem to tuck-in under the breasts...that's not good...it's very scandalous, because it almost gives the impression of nudity.
6. Girls in men's sports jersies and such...bad idea...most of the time, something that "unusual" is arousing and isn't good...

Third: I would like to know what the modesty standards should be for guys. I imagine that we shouldn't wear anything that shows of muscular torsos, but besides that, I'm not sure. [/quote]
i am guilty of more than one of those. -_-

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='rachael' date='Nov 30 2004, 07:00 PM'] i am guilty of more than one of those. -_- [/quote]
It really often depends on the body, though. I mean...I mentioned the guys with shirts that show off muscular torsos, but I don't have a muscular torso, so what shows when I wear one of those shirts is that I have a barrel chest and a relatively flat stomach with a little "love handle" at the bottom, lol...

Posted (edited)

Ya know, I was just thinking about clothing that shows off a girl's butt ... if you're a guy who likes to act like a girl doesn't have certain bodily functions, then this might keep you from getting tempted if you notice her butt ... anyway, if you notice her butt, instead of saying, "Oh, she's got a cute butt (@$$, tush, etc.)," instead say, "Oh, she's got a cute pooper." And if you're a guy who likes to act like girls don't have bowels, then I guarantee you girls' butts won't look so attractive anymore! :P

Edited by Dave
Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Dave' date='Nov 30 2004, 07:04 PM'] Ya know, I was just thinking about clothing that shows off a girl's butt ... if you're a guy who likes to act like a girl doesn't have certain bodily functions, then this might keep you from getting tempted if you notice her butt ... anyway, if you notice her butt, instead of saying, "Oh, she's got a cute butt (@$$, tush, etc.)," instead say, "Oh, she's got a cute pooper." And if you're a guy who likes to act like girls don't have bowels, then I guarantee you girls' butts won't look so attractive anymore! :P [/quote]
That could only come from you, Dave. :rolleyes:

Posted

[quote name='Dave' date='Nov 30 2004, 06:04 PM'] Ya know, I was just thinking about clothing that shows off a girl's butt ... if you're a guy who likes to act like a girl doesn't have certain bodily functions, then this might keep you from getting tempted if you notice her butt ... anyway, if you notice her butt, instead of saying, "Oh, she's got a cute butt (@$$, tush, etc.)," instead say, "Oh, she's got a cute pooper." And if you're a guy who likes to act like girls don't have bowels, then I guarantee you girls' butts won't look so attractive anymore! :P [/quote]
ewwww <_<

Posted

I dress appropriately fo the place.
But here are my pet peeves:
Guys who walk around with their pants hanging down to their knees and their boxers hanging out.
I gotta say that I am not so much turned on by this as I am disgusted.
I mean I live in a cold environment, pull up your pants your gonna freeze your jaika s off!

Number one biggest pet peeve of mine.... sweat pants or jersy shorts or anyshorts that have something written in big letters across a girls butt.
I just wanna pull her aside and say "um excuse me miss, you have something on your butt."

Also any clothing that has the words "lick me" on it....barf.

Guest Eremite
Posted

I was visiting Jacksonville last week, and they have a beautiful, traditional Church called Immaculate Conception. They have a sign on the front door that asks all women not to enter the Church immodestly dressed. It was nice to see a REMINDER.

Posted

Yeah you see those all over Europe.

Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Nov 30 2004, 06:28 PM'] I mean I live in a cold environment, pull up your pants your gonna freeze your jaika s off!

[/quote]
:crackup:

CreepyCrawler
Posted

i am reading a book called "a return to modesty" by wendy shalit. it's my new favorite book. it talks about how modesty was not just for women, but for men, and taught them to respect women. it also shows how modest women really enjoy and truly live their hopes for romance and fulfil their sexuality. it's really a great great book!

oh, i think when people say forearm, they mean upper arm, because the forearm is the part between the wrist and the elbow :)

i think that Jesus wouldn't have walked around topless in front of women. sure he may have fished without his shirt on, but how many women went fishing back then? i think men should keep their shirts on and women need to leave a little something to the imagination. but it really comes down to how much you respect yourself. i really like the 'ladylike' look that is popular now. it's attractive without being crude. it says "i'm beautiful but worth too much for just anyone to see" and i love that! isn't that what modesty is about?! i can't wait til the look comes to the midwest. it'll be nice to see cute clothes and not skin :)

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='CreepyCrawler' date='Nov 30 2004, 07:58 PM'] i am reading a book called "a return to modesty" by wendy shalit. it's my new favorite book. it talks about how modesty was not just for women, but for men, and taught them to respect women. it also shows how modest women really enjoy and truly live their hopes for romance and fulfil their sexuality. it's really a great great book!

oh, i think when people say forearm, they mean upper arm, because the forearm is the part between the wrist and the elbow :)

i think that Jesus wouldn't have walked around topless in front of women. sure he may have fished without his shirt on, but how many women went fishing back then? i think men should keep their shirts on and women need to leave a little something to the imagination. but it really comes down to how much you respect yourself. i really like the 'ladylike' look that is popular now. it's attractive without being crude. it says "i'm beautiful but worth too much for just anyone to see" and i love that! isn't that what modesty is about?! i can't wait til the look comes to the midwest. it'll be nice to see cute clothes and not skin :) [/quote]
Actually, men more likely were naked when they were out fishing. I believe there is even a reference to it somewhere in the Gospels...

Remember that to the ancients, modesty wasn't as important an issue, at least in some regards. It was common in Rome for women to be topless at social functions and such, just for the heck of it. They considered dressing up to be something you did to keep warm and protect yourself from small cuts and such. Women could breastfeed without men getting all weirded out and men would walk around naked all the time. Nowadays, we have become so tied in to the thought of sexuality as a bad thing that most men won't even sleep naked. The risk of scandal has gotten larger and includes even the most innocent things now. It's sad that we have to make up for all the sins we have by covering up the natural beauty God gave us in our bodies, but it must be done for the common good.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...