Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

i'm so scrubbed out today...no makeup (and believe me i look like i'm 16 w/o make-up on, even tho i'm 26); really loose (not really baggy tho) jeans, hoodie, tshirt and tennie shoes....it's so cold here...so i'm really covered up...i'd think that is pretty modest! lol

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 1 2004, 12:53 PM'] :lol: This is why you need Instant Messenger...you can't get bored. Judging by what I know of you, I think I alone could keep you busy chatting for hours! :P [/quote]
and this is why I don't have IM...

Posted

I'm wearing a Christmasy sweater and grey pants. It's actually a little too warm for the office today, though.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

This song reminds me of a Jimmy Soul song...

[i]If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she'll always give you peace of mind

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Sax solo

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Spoken:
Say man!
Hey baby!
I saw your wife the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, an' she's ug-leeee!
Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!
Yeah, alright!

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you[/i]




*waits patiently to get slapped*

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 1 2004, 02:02 PM'] and this is why I don't have IM... [/quote]
Ouch...I can take a hint, but did you have to be so blunt...I have feelings, too, you know...:sadder:

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 1 2004, 01:04 PM'] Ouch...I can take a hint, but did you have to be so blunt...I have feelings, too, you know...:sadder: [/quote]
No! Nothing personal to you... just that I can see myself easily spending HOURS on it. At least this way, when I get bored, I have to return to my life...

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 1 2004, 02:07 PM'] No! Nothing personal to you... just that I can see myself easily spending HOURS on it. At least this way, when I get bored, I have to return to my life... [/quote]
:lol: I'm sorry, I was just messing with you. I know you didn't mean anything. :)

CatholicCrusader
Posted (edited)

[quote name='cathgirl' date='Nov 30 2004, 08:16 PM'] I have a pair of shorts that say "volleyball" on the back, but they are tight or anything.  I also don't wear them around guys so htey don't bug me that much.  If they say "sexy" or something like that, it really bugs me. [/quote]
shorts are definitely immodest for girls, regardless of what is on them...

as far as how to judge modesty, here is what the Church has said about it. These are directives from the Church: "We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper."

Pope Pius XI said: "Let parents keep their daughters away from public gymnastic games and contests; but, if their daughters are compelled to attend such exhibitions, let them see to it that they are fully and modestly dressed. Let them never permit their daughters to don immodest garb."

(So much for the: "this is the attire for gym/sports/working out, etc." argument)

Pope Pius XII elaborated on this: "Now many girls do not see anything wrong with following certain shameless styles (fashions) like so many sheep. They would surely blush if they could only guess the impressions they make and the feelings they evoke (arouse) in those who see them."

And again: "O Christian mothers, if only you knew the future distress, peril and ill-restrained shame that you prepare for your sons and daughters by imprudently accustoming them to live barely clothed, and permitting them to lose the sense of modesty, you would be ashamed of yourselves, and of the harm done to the little ones entrusted to you by Heaven to be reared in a Christian dignity and culture."


The opinion which allows custom to dictate the question of modesty was refuted by Pope Pius XII in one short sentence: "There always exists an absolute norm to be preserved."

Custom, of course, pays no attention to absolute norms; but, it is a follower of this false principle: "... the majority cannot go wrong."

Pope Pius XII: To say that "... modesty is a matter of custom" is just as wrong as to say that "... honesty is a matter of custom."

What about those who teach "What is customary does not affect us?"

Pope Pius XII calls this application of an ancient principle to the virtue of modesty, "the most insidious of sophisms." He calls attention to the fact that some people use this sophism "...in order to brand as 'old fashioned' the rebellion of honest people against fashions they consider too bold."

The Pope's pronouncements make no distinctions for various types of garments. Pius XII states "...an unworthy, an indecent mode of dress has prevailed" without any distinction of place, "on beaches, in country resorts, on the streets, etc." (Aug. 29. 1954)

Also noted in 1959 was published (this is under John XXIII): "A special danger to morals is represented by public bathing at beaches... Mixed bathing between men and women, which is nearly always a proximate occasion of sin and a scandal, must be avoided."

The holy Pontiff also order directives concerning women wearing men's clothes (pants) be published (1960). Here is a link to this information:

[url="http://www.olrl.org/virtues/pants.shtml"]http://www.olrl.org/virtues/pants.shtml[/url]


Someone was asking about how to dress for men. Here is the answer:

And, men also are held to the virtue of modesty; witness the admonition of Canadian bishops in May of 1946: "Man himself does not escape from the inclination of exhibiting his flesh: some go in public, stripped to the waist, or in very tight pants or in very scanty bathing suits. They thus commit offenses against the virtue of modesty. They may also be an occasion of sin (in thought or desire) for our neighbor."

Edited by CatholicCrusader
Posted

[quote name='CatholicCrusader' date='Dec 1 2004, 02:00 PM'] Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper. [/quote]
Does this mean my Saran Wrap suits are out? Rats.

One more reason I like the military - not only do I not have to worry about matching my tie to my shirt, but cammies are pretty modest, when it comes right down to it.

One more biographical reference: as a HS teacher, one picks one's battles. As long as the shorts were at least mid thigh (male or female), I didn't say anything. As a teacher in his mid to late twenties, that's not a battle I wanted to fight.

Posted

I really don't have much problem with most of what women wear, except for a few things...

- Wording on the backside of the pants
- Very tight clothing
- Pants that are so low down the waist, you can see the woman's panties.
- Shirts that reveal A LOT of cleavage, some is fine, but if I see all the way down... eeehhh. (Unless it's a bikini, then it's understandable)

... hope that's easy for the women. :)

Ash Wednesday
Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 1 2004, 12:50 AM'] :lol: No...I didn't mean any sports jersies, lol...that would be ridiculous. Don't think that I'm quite that weird yet...you don't even know me...wait until someday if you ever meet me, then you can validly pass me off as weird. :cyclops:

I meant like when women wear ridiculously oversized, obviously meant for men, jersies in a normal, any-given-day setting. Most particularly football jersies...others, not so much. I'm just saying that it tends to get interest.

If it's at all fair, I think it's stupid when men wear jersies off the field, too. [/quote]
It's all good! I doubt you're as weird as me, though!!! :cyclops:

Posted

How can a womans shoulders be compared to a completely shirtless man...

I fail to see the fairness in this.

Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Dec 1 2004, 04:19 PM'] How can a womans shoulders be compared to a completely shirtless man...

I fail to see the fairness in this. [/quote]
I have absolutely no problem with women revealing their shoulders.

Ash Wednesday
Posted

[quote name='CatholicCrusader' date='Dec 1 2004, 02:00 PM'] "Man himself does not escape from the inclination of exhibiting his flesh: some go in public, stripped to the waist, or in very tight pants or in very scanty bathing suits. They thus commit offenses against the virtue of modesty. They may also be an occasion of sin (in thought or desire) for our neighbor." [/quote]
So no Speedos, y'all! :nono: ^_^

theculturewarrior
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:19 PM'] How can a womans shoulders be compared to a completely shirtless man...

I fail to see the fairness in this. [/quote]
If we're going to be fair, let's all wear birqas. (Well...muslim men might find that odd, but anyway).

Posted (edited)

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:23 PM'] If we're going to be fair, let's all wear birqas. (Well...muslim men might find that odd, but anyway). [/quote]
You know what TCW, I was going to say the same thing.


:lol:

Edited by Luthien
theculturewarrior
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:25 PM'] You know what TCW, I was going to say the same thing.


:lol: [/quote]
I'm not TCW, I'm Frodo. :angry:

theculturewarrior
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:29 PM'] *sigh* Sorry...


Frodo... :unsure: [/quote]
:D You're forgiven.

theculturewarrior
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:29 PM'] *sigh* Sorry...


Frodo... :unsure: [/quote]
mister peterson wants to know if you're still dating Sarcastic Man.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...