An Old School Catholic Message Board

...Why is it that...

Chris Zewe

Lounge Daddy

Ok, I have trouble believing you are posting this with sincerity, knuckle-head
But God bless you the same…

If Mother Teresa blew herself up and others with her in the name of God – she would be a terrorist
But as it is - she healed and fed and clothed those who needed it most, sacrificing her health and at times her life… rather than killing herself deliberately along with any innocents who may be near

Other Saints did the same but were murdered by haters.

Saints don’t die while storming schools and killing children, or blow themselves up in buses or market squares, you fool.

[quote name='Krush2k2' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:40 PM'] Take St.Stephen, who was stoned to death because of his belief in Jesus. Now he is a martyr. Cant even compare that to a crazy Muslim who loads him self up with explosives and kills children and innocent people in the name of "God" give me a break. There's a line. [/quote]
You can't? St. Stephen didn't wake up one day and say to himself "I'm going to go dos omething that will no doubt result in my death, so that my people will be helped." The Muslims are doing that.

[i]Either look at the argument and attack it or stifle it. [/i]

Can't make your own?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:51 PM'] You're with missionaries who go to Africa and somehow manage to convert them from old-as-dirt pagan religions to Christianity just by giving them clothes and the like? Amazing. [/quote]
They will know we are Christians by our love.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:44 PM'] Ok, I have trouble believing you are posting this with sincerity, knuckle-head
But God bless you the same…

If Mother Teresa blew herself up and others with her in the name of God – she would be a terrorist
But as it is - she healed and fed and clothed those who needed it most, sacrificing her health and at times her life… rather than killing herself deliberately along with any innocents who may be near

Other Saints did the same but were murdered by haters.

Saints don’t die while storming schools and killing children, or blow themselves up in buses or market squares, you fool. [/quote]
Why do you all insist of your God blessing me or Jesus loving me? Were I to receive a blessing from your God, I would reject it, as he isn't mine, and Jesus is dead. He CAN'T love me.

Mother Teresa is one of the few Christian activists who I respect. I'm not going to attack her.

You said "haters" and expect me to respond? Ha.

Saints die at home in their beds, praying to a God that doesn't exist. And there's something in the Bible to th extent of "Call your brother a fool and you'll be damned." Or something.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 05:44 PM']
Can't make your own? [/quote]
That's one of the problems with modernism. It's not that you can't make your own, but why can't you use the work of others? I notice high school kids these days have the hardest time doing research and using sources.

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:44 PM'] You can't? St. Stephen didn't wake up one day and say to himself "I'm going to go dos omething that will no doubt result in my death, so that my people will be helped." The Muslims are doing that.

There's a difference, those people are also killing others in their path....

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:47 PM'] They will know we are Christians by our love. [/quote]
You again!
Yes, nothing builds up a reputation of love like blowing up an abortion clinic.

[i]That's one of the problems with modernism. It's not that you can't make your own, but why can't you use the work of others? I notice high school kids these days have the hardest time doing research and using sources. [/i]

T_T I meant that the least he could do was intepret it and type up his own bit, rather than just throwing a URL at me.

[quote name='rachael' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:49 PM'] There's a difference, those people are also killing others in their path.... [/quote]
But they're killing who they consider to be the enemy.

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:44 PM'] You can't? St. Stephen didn't wake up one day and say to himself "I'm going to go dos omething that will no doubt result in my death, so that my people will be helped." The Muslims are doing that.

You say death as in imposing faith on others. Well that can be done in many ways such as living a model type life where your actions become basis for imposement, although you yourself do not say "Convert or Die".

St.Stephen didnt have to say that-neither did most saints. If you read thier lives-they KNEW IT. Thier lives were statements of living to die.

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:51 PM'] But they're killing who they consider to be the enemy. [/quote]
and how does that make things better?

Missionaries aren't killing their enemies, they try to help them instead

[quote name='Krush2k2' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:51 PM'] You say death as in imposing faith on others. Well that can be done in many ways such as living a model type life where your actions become basis for imposement, although you yourself do not say "Convert or Die".

St.Stephen didnt have to say that-neither did most saints. If you read thier lives-they KNEW IT. Thier lives were statements of living to die. [/quote]
Rated: Incoherent/10

JMJ
1/2 - St. Basil the Great

Of course I can make my own - I'm not presenting you with [i]my[/i] view of martyrdom, I am presenting you with the [i]Church's[/i] view of martyrdom as expressed by St. Thomas Aquinas. If you just don't want to look at the argument, that is fine; just say it and we can be done with it.

Here is your argument, as I take it.

(1) If a person (x) has given his/her life unto death for the sake of cause (y), then person (x) is a martyr.
(2) Person (x) has given his/her life unto death for the sake of cause (y).
(3) Therefore, person (x) is a martyr.

[i]I don't see a problem with your argument [/i]qua[i] argument.[/i] It works just fine. The problem is that Christianity has its own criteria for martyrdom that are different from yours. Is there a problem with this? Muslims who fight in [i]jihad[/i] against the West are martyrs under your system - because it follows from what I believe is your argument. That in and of itself doesn't mean that we're right and you're wrong; all it means is that we have a different way of measuring what martyrdom is. Have I missed something? Have you even [i]bothered[/i] to look at where we're coming from?

[quote name='rachael' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:52 PM'] and how does that make things better?

Missionaries aren't killing their enemies, they try to help them instead [/quote]
But they're doing it through means of terror (convert or burn). Hence, terrorists.

And as Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, which do you think is more effective?

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:53 PM'] Muslims who fight in [i]jihad[/i] against the West are martyrs under your system - because it follows from what I believe is your argument. That in and of itself doesn't mean that we're right and you're wrong; all it means is that we have a different way of measuring what martyrdom is. Have I missed something? Have you even [i]bothered[/i] to look at where we're coming from? [/quote]
A minor correction...jihad is defensive. Crashing plains isn't jihad, it's senseless, extremist martyrdom.

Anywho...yes, I have. I clearly said that my definition of a martyr differs from your's.