An Old School Catholic Message Board

...Why is it that...

Chris Zewe

[quote] Here's a bit...the correct spelling of "existance" is "existence". I educated you. Knowledge is power. [/quote]

:rolleyes:

thanks for moving this cmom!

:punk:

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:26 PM'] It would make me [i]so[/i] very sad to be banned from a message board comprised primarily of idiots with intellects comparable to that of a lead paperweight. [/quote]
:mellow: then why do you come back after your suspension is over? :mellow:

i'm not trying to be facetious, i'm geniunely curious.

[quote name='spathariossa' date='Jan 2 2005, 06:50 PM'] Okay, bet you thought you could get away with that. But you can't!

The first Crusade was started not by the Catholic church perse but by the Turks of all people. The Arabs had been conquering Christian lands for close to 300 years at this point. The Turks were eating away at the Byzantine Empire's province of Anatolia. The Church in the East was in great danger of falling to Muslims.

So, Alexios Komnenos, Emperor of the Byzantines, sent a desperate letter to the Pope begging for mercenary soldiers to stem the tide of the Turks. What he got, was more than he bargained for: A crusade.

Now, why is this crusade justified? It is quite simple. At this time in the world there was no separation of Church and state. As the muslims inevitably taxed the hell out of Christians and denied them posts in conquered lands they were then coercing conversions to Islam. In effect, they were destroying Christianity. So, the Pope recognized (God bless him) that it was acceptable for the Church to defend itself from these incursions. The Crusades were not religious imperialism. They were DEFENSIVE and intended to fend off the already extant religious imperialism of the Muslims.

If you doubt the muslim threat at the time you only have to consider that they conquered all the way up to Southern France. That sounds dangerous to me... [/quote]
They were all defensive. Definetly. Because Christians are NEVER the bad guys.

[i]As the muslims inevitably taxed the hell out of Christians and denied them posts in conquered lands they were then coercing conversions to Islam.[/i]

Which the Christians then did RIGHT BACK.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 07:49 PM'] I don't believe in a universal truth. My reasoning, though, is that society's progress is everything, which contradicts your theological beliefs. [/quote]
Would you say that it is true that there is no universal truth?

Your position is self-contradictory. ;)

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Jan 2 2005, 06:52 PM'] :mellow: then why do you come back after your suspension is over? :mellow:

i'm not trying to be facetious, i'm geniunely curious. [/quote]
It ended a month ago. I just was looking for something to do on the computer.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Jan 2 2005, 07:52 PM'] :mellow: then why do you come back after your suspension is over? :mellow:

i'm not trying to be facetious, i'm geniunely curious. [/quote]
It's a game of cat and mouse, and he thinks he's the cat.

wow... I'm gone for 20 minutes and look what happens! Can I not leave you children alone for a minute? ^_^

I wish you guys wouldn't do such wonderful debates in the Chat, seeing as I can't do it, because I completely don't know how to enable Java on my system. <_<

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jan 2 2005, 06:53 PM'] Would you say that it is true that there is no universal truth?

Your position is self-contradictory. ;) [/quote]
[ Insert exploding emoticon here ]

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jan 2 2005, 06:54 PM'] It's a game of cat and mouse, and he thinks he's the cat. [/quote]
What a wonderfully irrelevant metaphor.

spathariossa

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 06:52 PM'] They were all defensive. Definetly. Because Christians are NEVER the bad guys.

[i]As the muslims inevitably taxed the hell out of Christians and denied them posts in conquered lands they were then coercing conversions to Islam.[/i]

Which the Christians then did RIGHT BACK. [/quote]
I didn't say the Christians were never the bad guys. What I said was you don't know anything about the Crusades which is oh so true.

The Siege of Antioch proves you wrong. Oh...wait...you don't know what that is. Allow me to educate you because [quote]knowledge is power[/quote]

The Siege of Antioch was concluded when the citizens of Antioch allowed the Byzantine forces to enter the city. Why? Because most of them were Christians tired of the oppression of the Muslims. In fact, most cities besieged during the crusades fell when the crusaders were LET IN. Hmmm....

Now of course, the first crusade isn't the only crusade. But if the First Crusade was defensive then the others were only moreso. The next 3 crusades all involved fending off muslim attacks in a desperate attempt by them to reclaim the Holy Land.

I defy you to show me a crusade that wasn't defensive. Go ahead. Use a search engine or something.

[quote]I don't believe in a universal truth. [/quote]

ooooh now, don't start that one. There are quite a few people who could counterargue that one until Kingdom come. Raphael is one of them. ^_^

Edited by Tink

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 07:55 PM'] [ Insert exploding emoticon here ] [/quote]
:rolleyes:

Stop using emotional confusion and a lack of willingness to hold an opinion for fear of offending your desires to convince yourself that your untenable positions are correct.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 08:50 PM'] Here's a bit...the correct spelling of "existance" is "existence". I educated you. Knowledge is power. [/quote]
You still didn't answer the question. :)