An Old School Catholic Message Board

Masturbation

Priscilla

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:25 PM']

90% [/quote]
the 90% figure originated with Kinsey's sex study, the first of its kind. Naturally, the study suffered from problems with the sample of people who answered. In the 50s, what type of person was going to even participate in his study, let alone answer truthfully? The naughty ones...

Though, I have to admit that it is likely most young men do not receive guidance about the issue prior to their first masturbation session, and may fall into the practice without knowing it's sinful. It would then be harder to extricate oneself from the morass of sexual sin.

JP2, Above I asked for scripture verses to support your view. You say God says M. is wrong. Where does he say this? I am not Catholic and so do not accept that Trad. or Papacy are God's word on any level. I do accept that the Bible is God's word. Is there scriptual support for what you say?? If by "God said so" you mean tradition or Papacy says, that is fair as that is what you believe. I am just interested, for myself, in what the Bible says. Thanks!

In Christ,
Brian

Mary's Knight, La

it's in the OT sin of Onan story (I think) guy spills seed on ground and God strikes him dead end of story.

[quote name='Briguy' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:44 AM'] JP2, Above I asked for scripture verses to support your view. You say God says M. is wrong. Where does he say this? I am not Catholic and so do not accept that Trad. or Papacy are God's word on any level. I do accept that the Bible is God's word. Is there scriptual support for what you say?? If by "God said so" you mean tradition or Papacy says, that is fair as that is what you believe. I am just interested, for myself, in what the Bible says. Thanks!

In Christ,
Brian [/quote]
Even most protestants accept basturmation is wrong. :nono:

JP2Iloveyou

[quote name='Briguy' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:44 AM'] JP2, Above I asked for scripture verses to support your view. You say God says M. is wrong. Where does he say this? I am not Catholic and so do not accept that Trad. or Papacy are God's word on any level. I do accept that the Bible is God's word. Is there scriptual support for what you say?? If by "God said so" you mean tradition or Papacy says, that is fair as that is what you believe. I am just interested, for myself, in what the Bible says. Thanks!

In Christ,
Brian [/quote]
Basically, Mary's Knight hit it on the head. You can also go to Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 10 where God gives us the 10 Commandments. Even though it is the OT, it is still relevant because A) it is still inspired, and B) the New Covenant didn't dispense with the moral law. The 10 Commandments forbid adultery and lust. Although this isn't an explicit condemnation of masturbation per se, I think that is assumed in the commandments for the reasons we've already explained. Masturbation uses the sexual function of the human body where it is not intended to be used. It really is cheating on one's spouse. You could draw an analogy and say, "Well, the 10 Commandments don't explicitly say, 'Thou shalt not use nuclear war heads, even if you knew it wouldn't kill anyone.'" But we don't take that as a license to go out and start randomly dropping nuclear bombs. I don't know if that helps or not. I hope so.

[quote name='Briguy' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:44 AM'] JP2, Above I asked for scripture verses to support your view. You say God says M. is wrong. Where does he say this?  I am not Catholic and so do not accept that Trad. or Papacy are God's word on any level. I do accept that the Bible is God's word. Is there scriptual support for what you say??  If by "God said so" you mean tradition or Papacy says, that is fair as that is what you believe. I am just interested, for myself, in what the Bible says. Thanks!

In Christ,
Brian [/quote]
[quote]By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."  "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved." (CCC 2352)[/quote]

cf. Gal 5:19-23; 1 Cor 6:9-11
cf. 1 Thess 4:3-8; cf. Col 3:5-7; I Tim 1:10
cf. Eph 5:3-8; cf. 4:18-19
cf. 1 Cor 6:15, 18-20

See, the deal is this, it is a sin against chastity. The Church teaches that Chastity is the successful integration of sexuality within the person and thus the inner unity of man in his bodily and spiritual being. Sexuality, in which man's belonging to the bodily and biological world is expressed, becomes personal and truly human when it is integrated into the relationship of one person to another, in the complete and lifelong mutual gift of a man and a woman. (cf. CCC 2337)

When one engages in masturbation, this is being attacked.

The CCC goes on to say:
[quote]Chastity includes an apprenticeship in self-mastery which is a training in human freedom. The alternative is clear: either man governs his passions and finds peace, or he lets himself be dominated by them and becomes unhappy. "Man's dignity therefore requires him to act out of conscious and free choice, as moved and drawn in a personal way from within, and not by blind impulses in himself or by mere external constraint. Man gains such dignity when, ridding himself of all slavery to the passions, he presses forward to his goal by freely choosing what is good and, by his diligence and skill, effectively secures for himself the means suited to this end." (CCC 2339)[/quote]

cf. Sirach 1:22.
Gaudium et Spes 17

[url="http://www.catholicdoors.com/misc/marriage/cdfph.htm"]Persona Humana[/url]
[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_cons_19651207_gaudium-et-spes_en.html"]Gaudium et Spes[/url]

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that scripture needs to be the base. To assume that everything is based upon scripture is a heresy. It is called sola scriptura. This is a teaching of Tradition, however, there is scriptural support.

Cam

RemnantRules

Blessed Be God!!!

Ok well Unfortuneatly this is something that I'm striving to perfect. I think Sexual Sin is the #1 sin in America today.

BUT this is what I have learned the Catholic Church teaches...

(I thank my youth director for making this card ^_^ )

"God has designed sexual acts to take place exclusively within marriage. These acts are designed to unite husband and wife and for the procreation of life, if used for any other reason the act is against God's will."

So if you think of anything sexually and it's not for those two reasons then it's not right! Masterbation, condoms/contraceptions, homosexual marriages/sex, ect.

"The CATHOLIC CHURCH TEACHES that, "ANY deliberate use of the sexual faculty outside of marriage is GRAVELY wrong." Use of the sexual faculty means not just sex but every kind of genital activity, whether committed ALONE or with someone else. Any sexual action, which would cause you to sexually around another or another to arouse you, is to be avoided."

So basically Don't arouse another, don't let another arouse you, and don't arouse yourself.

Here's a prayer to help people with Sexual Sin.
"Blessed Virgin Mary, Scripture advises me to not arouse or awaken love before God desires. Pray that through the virtue of Chastity, God gives me the strength to control my sexual desires and the wisdom and strength to never purposely arouse or awaken love, either physically or emotional before marriage. AMEN"

God Bless
Jason Gregory

Edited by RemnantRules

[quote]BUT since nobody has said anything from the Catichesim* then I shall post it. This relates to Chasity, heterosexual marriage and self stimulation...[/quote]

ummmmm.......

After reading all that I agree with the Catholic Church's teaching on the subject.

I hadn't realised that Catholicism had such detailed instructions about it - but I agree with it 100%.

God Conquers

[quote name='Priscilla' date='Apr 20 2005, 01:17 PM'] After reading all that I agree with the Catholic Church's teaching on the subject.

I hadn't realised that Catholicism had such detailed instructions about it - but I agree with it 100%. [/quote]
We've had a few years to work out the details....

Uh, this is a bit belated, but don't you think this should be moved to the NFP forum? I mean, anyone could come on here and read this...

[quote name='Priscilla' date='Apr 20 2005, 02:17 PM'] After reading all that I agree with the Catholic Church's teaching on the subject.

I hadn't realised that Catholicism had such detailed instructions about it - but I agree with it 100%. [/quote]
Yeah, we're detailed like that. :D We've got an answer for everything.

Fidei Defensor

I knew masturbation was bad, deep in me, even before i re-verted to the Church. I was never taught it was bad, but somehow, i could just feel it was bad.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Priscilla' date='Apr 20 2005, 02:17 PM'] After reading all that I agree with the Catholic Church's teaching on the subject.

Good for you :)