An Old School Catholic Message Board

Make-up is it necessary?

lil bull 04

Do females really need to wear make-up?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't mind it as long as it doesn't become vanity. I wear eye make-up, but I definitely don't go over-board, and I don't freak out when I don't have enough time to do it.

lil bull 04

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 30 2005, 08:40 PM'] Clowns are quite possibly the scariest things we've ever invented to "entertain" children. [/quote]
i agree besides any movie that has a drill sergeant or drill instructor in it. trust me they are not a force to be reckoned with in real life.

About the acne and make-up. you are practically talking to an expert on that. I had really bad acne almost from my 11th birthday till now. make-up doesn't help! i had to get my acne cleared up enough so i could get into the army because they were afraid of it irratating my back when i had to carry a rucksack because i had it on my back. there are some really great medications you can take that help clear it up as well as the scars. i did and well my skin looks pretty good.

I personally wear it when i feel like it. I talked to one of my guy friends and he complained about "that one stuff that makes a girls face all the same color" and how it was weird, and I trust him.

Isaiah41:13

I usually only wear make-up when I am getting dressed up for one thing or another. Not everyday, not to school unless giving a presentation, just when I have to get dressed up.

lil bull 04

[quote name='cathgirl' date='May 30 2005, 09:12 PM'] Yeah, foundation makes me feel awkward. I wear it probably 2 to 3 times a year, if that. ^_^ [/quote]
the last time i wore it was like a month ago for like 2 hours when i had to go for some kind of competition for soldier of the month and before that it was last year at prom

argent_paladin

As always, Thomas Aquinas discussed this long before us:

On women wearing pants:
[quote]for it is written (Dt. 22:5): "A woman shall not be clothed with man's apparel, neither shall a man use woman's apparel." [/quote]
On makeup:
[quote]Cyprian says (De Habit. Virg.): "I hold that not only virgins and widows, but also wives and all women without exception, should be admonished that nowise should they deface God's work and fabric, the clay that He has fashioned, with the aid of yellow pigments, black powders or rouge, or by applying any dye that alters the natural features." And afterwards he adds: "They lay hands on God, when they strive to reform what He has formed. This is an assault on the Divine handiwork, a distortion of the truth. Thou shalt not be able to see God, having no longer the eyes that God made, but those the devil has unmade; with him shalt thou burn on whose account thou art bedecked."[/quote]
But Thomas says that wives can wear makeup to please their husbands.
[quote]Nevertheless a woman may use means to please her husband, lest through despising her he fall into adultery. Hence it is written (1 Cor. 7:34) that the woman "that is married thinketh on the things of the world, how she may please her husband." Wherefore if a married woman adorn herself in order to please her husband she can do this without sin.

But those women who have no husband nor wish to have one, or who are in a state of life inconsistent with marriage, cannot without sin desire to give lustful pleasure to those men who see them, because this is to incite them to sin. And if indeed they adorn themselves with this intention of provoking others to lust, they sin mortally; whereas if they do so from frivolity, or from vanity for the sake of ostentation, it is not always mortal, but sometimes venial. [/quote]

[quote name='lil bull 04' date='May 30 2005, 08:31 PM']The Army but soon to be married to a Marine! HOOOOOOOORAHHHHHHHHHH! (hooah +oorah=hoorah)[/quote]
Thats cool...I am in the Air Force. What do you do? Your MOS?

As far as makeup goes, I'd have to agree with Azaelia:
[quote]I don't think wearing truckloads of foundation and eyeliner is needed at all, but it sounds like alot of you (especially the guys) don't approve of makeup at all. Some of us need it to cover up minor flaws and imperfections. I have acne-prone skin, and I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable walking around looking like a pizza.
[/quote]
I know exactly what you mean girl, the bad thing is the make up makes it worse, clogging up your pores and stuff, like a self perpetuating clycle. Wear makeup to cover up breakouts, breakout 'cause you wore makeup. I only wear it when I go out, not to work or school. There is nothing wrong with presenting the best you possible. Some girls look better without make up..some look better with.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='lil bull 04' date='May 30 2005, 09:41 PM'] I am a 45B small arms/towed artillery repairer. [/quote]
You know...I like shooting my assault rifle. I hate the cleaning part...

KizlarAgha

[quote name='iggy' date='May 30 2005, 09:44 PM'] I personally am a Drill Team girl... I am a TERRIBLE shot! [/quote]
My little brother and I compete with our Mini-14's. And sometimes with pistols. I still say I'm better with the Colt 1911A1. I quit competing with the 12 gauge shotgun when I couldn't move my shoulder after shooting three shots. He loved the thing though.