photosynthesis Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 hey, I was wondering who here uses or knows how to use Linux. The college I go to is going to implement a policy that would not allow anyone to use the campus network unless they're running XP, MAC OS or Linux. I am using Windows ME (yes I know it's a crappy operating system). This means I either need to buy another computer, buy XP (which is ~175 dollars) or use Linux. I'm not completely ignorant about computers, but I guess I could say I know more than the average computer user. I work right now in my college's tech support department so I must not be a complete idiot. But I am not a computer science major, and I know nothing about math. I just help install new computers/monitors and solve basic windows problems. how hard is it to run Linux? I just want to be able to use it for games, writing papers, checking my email and surfing the net. Do I have to pay anything for it (besides a good manual)? I don't want to be using an operating system that is full of bugs and problems, but it's not like Windows ME is that great either.
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 Nowadays, I think Linux is pretty easy to use. The only gotchas are if you want to use some Windows-only hardware, or super-new cutting-edge hardware. Laptops might be iffy too, I don't know. The only serious complexity comes in if you want to do something sophisticated... but that's only complex compared to Windows because you [i]can[/i] in fact, do sophisticated things. Windows doesn't let you play around under the hood. An average Linux installation process is easier than a Windows install. Linux is a unix, so it's meant to be a network system -- internet setup is very easy. Writing papers is no problem. Open Office is the best free Linux word processor, IMO. (Star Office is a bit nicer, but you have to buy it.) Games? Well... it depends on what you like to play. If you like puzzle, board, card, or arcade type games, any big Linux distribution will come with a ton of those. If you want big commercial games, then your choices are more limited. Anything from ID Software works under Linux: Doom, Quake, etc. Also all the Unreal games work. And Neverwinter Nights.... those are the biggies I know about. (Certainly enough games to waste FAR TOO MUCH TIME WITH... sigh) There are also Windows emulators that can run most Windows programs, including games, but I have not been patient enough to set them up, myself. I goof off too much anyway. You don't [i]have[/i] to pay for Linux distributions, unless you want printed copies and support. If you have broadband, you can download a distro, or if you have a friend with a distro, they can make a copy for you (and this is totally legal). Buying a distribution costs $30-$70, I think. With a Linux distribution you get loads (LOADS, REALLY!!!) of free programs to do just about anything you ever imagined doing with a computer. Music editing, graphics editing, games, spreadsheets, compilers, ray tracing, fractal drawing, a bunch of little penguins that will run around your screen, a cat that will chase your "mouse" pointer, tv viewers, all kinds of internet servers, dictionaries, databases, etc, etc, etc. So... I guess the questions are, can you download or otherwise get a distribution? And will you be wanting to dual-boot with WinME?
FutureSoror Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 I've used Linux before, my school used to use it and my dad installed it. It's nice because it's free and virtually virus-proof, and the games that come with it can keep you busy for..... quite some time It does have it's quirks. Some like it, some don't. I personally would take XP over Linux if I had a choice (and possibly if money wasn't a factor...) but that's just my personal preference.
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 One detail not obvious to new users, is that whatever "Linux" you may run into can look and operate very differently, depending on what "window manager" (or, possibly, what "desktop environment") is being used. Also, different distributions generally feel pretty different. If there's anything you don't like, you CAN change it. (Some changes may be easier than others, though...)
FutureSoror Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 That is true. Some things that are default (like single-click as opposed to the double-click) seem odd at first, but can be changed if you want. You can make it seem more like windows if you know how.
Philippe Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 try red hat, i've installed it on another comp, its sweet
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 Red Hat doesn't have a regular "user" version anymore... corporate only. I use SuSE now, have used Red Hat and Debian in the past. I like Debian best, but I couldn't install it on my current hardware. (The just-a-few-days-ago release has probably fixed that.) I'd recommend Mandrake for a newbie. But a lot depends on what you can get a hold of, and what any linuxy friends you may have use.
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 Aww, I will help if I can! What are you using and what is wrong? (Fair warning I may lose my net connection at any moment now...)
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 Well... is it installed? Can you log in? And how old a version is it, if you have any idea.
Wynd Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 I have only Linux on my computer cause I'm too cheap to buy Windows =-P I have Slackware 10.1 and I love it, but I wouldn't recommend Slackware right away unless you [i]really[/i] don't mind diving right into Linux and getting your hands dirty, so to speak (there aren't any fancy GUI install/config tools, it's all manual editing which gives you more control and experience but with a steeper leaning curve). I'd say go with Mandriva (Mandrake's new name) or Fedora (Red Hat's user version) for a first-time install, and see what you like and don't like, because you can always download a different distro. One other distro you may want to try first is Knoppix - it runs totally off the CD and doesn't touch the hard drive unless you tell it to, which makes it a great "trial" distro. Good luck
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 Mandriva! I forgot. Dumb sounding name. So many distros to try, so few swappable hard drives....
photosynthesis Posted June 16, 2005 Author Posted June 16, 2005 so if I downloaded Linux would I not be able to run Windows anymore? I have a 9.33 GB hard drive (yeah I know my iPod is bigger!!!) and 1.72 GB of free space. I could potentially clean up a lot of files....but still, 1.72 isn't a lot. how much space would I need for downloading Linux? Would I be able to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux?
Wynd Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 Yeah, I think it's because Mandrake bought Conectiva. You could just buy a huge hard drive and partition it for 50 distros :-P
photosynthesis Posted June 16, 2005 Author Posted June 16, 2005 that'd be nice, but I have a laptop...so it's not like it's really easy to open up and put new stuff in. I don't want to spend more money on this thing, like new hard drives, especially if I plan on buying an entirely new computer in less than a year.
Wynd Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 (edited) [i]so if I downloaded Linux would I not be able to run Windows anymore?[/i] You can set up a dual-boot system where you have both. Windows will be on one partition, Linux on the other. [i]I could potentially clean up a lot of files....but still, 1.72 isn't a lot. how much space would I need for downloading Linux?[/i] This will be more than enough for a typical Linux install. You may want to resize the Windows partition to give more space to the Linux if you dual-boot, because Linux can't write to NTFS (WinXP) partitions and vice versa, so you won't be able to do more than look at (can't add/change/delete) your personal files. [i]Would I be able to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux?[/i] Yes, Most Linux install programs will allow you to set up what is called a boot loader, to dual boot between them. Hope this helps Edited June 16, 2005 by Wynd
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 (edited) Nevermind. Edited June 16, 2005 by philothea
philothea Posted June 16, 2005 Posted June 16, 2005 [quote name='Wynd' date='Jun 15 2005, 11:52 PM']You could just buy a huge hard drive and partition it for 50 distros :-P [right][snapback]613060[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Heyyyyy... there's a thought. Do you think GRUB has a "random boot" setting? "Let's see what I get today!" Nah, probably not...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now