scardella Posted March 20, 2007 Posted March 20, 2007 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1215953' date='Mar 19 2007, 06:15 PM']Well, out of sheer discontent, annoyance, and every other emotional feeling Microsoft can cause one to feel, I am trying out Ubuntu. However, I am having an issue with video...and I don't know where to go to set it. I am also running through HDMI and I hope that does not effect it.[/quote] What video card do you have? Generally, Nvidia cards tend to work best, b/c you can download full nvidia drivers from them, although distributions tend to not include them because they're not open source. Sorry... been spending too much time thinking about getting an Xbox 360 and posting on forzamotorsport.net....
Theologian in Training Posted March 21, 2007 Posted March 21, 2007 [quote name='scardella' post='1216497' date='Mar 20 2007, 02:57 PM']What video card do you have? Generally, Nvidia cards tend to work best, b/c you can download full nvidia drivers from them, although distributions tend to not include them because they're not open source. Sorry... been spending too much time thinking about getting an Xbox 360 and posting on forzamotorsport.net....[/quote] I have an Nvidia Geforce 6500 (if I recall) and I tried dloading the drivers from Nvidia but have no idea how to run them (I am completely new to linux)...and I have still been unsuccessful. As to the 360, wait it out, apparently, there is a new one coming out soon, to trump the European release of the PS3. It could be rumour, but apparently, it is supposed to be black, have a 120gig hdd and HDMI as opposed to component. Basically, a PS3 knockoff ...that is, apart from the 120gig hdd as opposed to the 60gb. Any questions, feel free to ask...and if you have any advice for me, please don't hesitate. God Bless
ReinnieR Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 i know there are a lot more linux users here than just me.
Lounge Daddy Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 Yes! It's all run now--both on my one year old Gateway notebook and decade old Acer desktop.
Autumn Dusk Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 I'm a linux user but I've been pretty active on this thread
ReinnieR Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 right now i'm posting from windows because i need to repartition my drive. for some reason i'm missing like 20 gigs. and i don't know where it is. it's just gone. and when i do i'll be upgading my ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04
Autumn Dusk Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 I just upgraged from 7 to 8. using x-ubuntu. Its good...but I still haven't figured out how to make my menu's go swishy.
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 In my opinion Mac OS X Leopard is the best mainstream operating system right now. I used to pump up linux to some extent but at this point I don't think it has much to offer to average user. I use Windows but only because I need it for work and some games.
ReinnieR Posted June 7, 2008 Posted June 7, 2008 (edited) i would agree that OS X is the best out there right now. but for poor unemployed people like myself linux would be the best option. and what can't linux offer that windows can? we can run windows programs using wine Edited June 7, 2008 by ReinnieR
Lounge Daddy Posted June 8, 2008 Posted June 8, 2008 [quote name='ReinnieR' post='1562618' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:53 PM']i would agree that OS X is the best out there right now. but for poor unemployed people like myself linux would be the best option. and what can't linux offer that windows can? we can run windows programs using wine[/quote] Oh yes, I agree. I'm not a big pc gamer. So I realized that I don't really need windows for anything, and all it was doing was being a memory hog. So I deleted it. The best thing about Linux is, this laptop that I dropped a lot of money on last year will still be just as useful several years from now!
jeffpugh Posted June 8, 2008 Posted June 8, 2008 I'm representing as a true Linux user now. Unfortunately, I'm running Ubuntu on a 4GB HDD. That is fail for me... only got about 200 mb of free space to play with Must get a new hard drive.... too bad my 20 gig conked out on me. I really wanted to try Ubuntu studio
Laudate_Dominum Posted June 8, 2008 Posted June 8, 2008 Wow, I'm amazed by this thread. According to the statistics I've seen Linux users ought to be exceedingly rare.. Hmm.. I haven't used Ubuntu yet but from what I know I am inclined to agree that it is a dope option for many users who can't or don't want to drop loot on Windows or Mac OSX Leopard. Operating systems are sweeeet.
nleyetn Posted June 8, 2008 Posted June 8, 2008 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1563094' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:53 PM']I'm representing as a true Linux user now. Unfortunately, I'm running Ubuntu on a 4GB HDD. That is fail for me... only got about 200 mb of free space to play with Must get a new hard drive.... too bad my 20 gig conked out on me. I really wanted to try Ubuntu studio[/quote] Hard Drives have really come down in price since the 20GB days. The last time I bought one was last year... I got a 300GB for like $80. Hopefully you'll be able to replace your old one for cheap.
jmj Posted June 8, 2008 Posted June 8, 2008 Mmm, Linux. I still have not converted my lappy from Ubuntu to Gentoo like I want - I have to help my husband with job apps on his Windoze box. Maybe after he gets a job I can switch over.
jeffpugh Posted June 8, 2008 Posted June 8, 2008 [quote name='nLEyETn' post='1563234' date='Jun 8 2008, 02:10 AM']Hard Drives have really come down in price since the 20GB days. The last time I bought one was last year... I got a 300GB for like $80. Hopefully you'll be able to replace your old one for cheap.[/quote] Yeah, I'll get a smallish one with some money I made recently. I have other plans with the cash, but if it falls through, Linux will get a comeback!
Lounge Daddy Posted June 9, 2008 Posted June 9, 2008 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1563212' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:12 AM']Operating systems are sweeeet.[/quote] Oh heck ya! Operating systems are just plain fun.
puellapaschalis Posted August 20, 2008 Posted August 20, 2008 I'm trying to upgrade to Suse 11 but I'm having a blonde moment and I don't know if I can do this [i]without[/i] having to download and burn an iso and stuff. Can you upgrade to a new version via Yast?
mommas_boy Posted August 20, 2008 Posted August 20, 2008 [quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1632950' date='Aug 20 2008, 05:14 PM'] I'm trying to upgrade to Suse 11 but I'm having a blonde moment and I don't know if I can do this [i]without[/i] having to download and burn an iso and stuff. Can you upgrade to a new version via Yast?[/quote] Try this page: [url="http://en.opensuse.org/Updating_SUSE_Linux"]Updateing openSUSE[/url] Where it says "10.3", use "11.0" instead. Or, just use this line: "distribution/openSUSE-stable/repo/oss/".
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now