photosynthesis Posted December 18, 2005 Author Posted December 18, 2005 I typed "apropos SMART" in the command line and i got something about "ispell-wrapper"
philothea Posted December 18, 2005 Posted December 18, 2005 That does sound kind of bad. I don't think I'm up to explaining Unix-style file systems right now. Did you have any sudden power outages?
philothea Posted December 18, 2005 Posted December 18, 2005 Huh, dumb apropos. Can you su to root and try again? It's possible you don't have it installed.
photosynthesis Posted December 18, 2005 Author Posted December 18, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Dec 18 2005, 02:31 AM']That does sound kind of bad. I don't think I'm up to explaining Unix-style file systems right now. Did you have any sudden power outages? [right][snapback]829483[/snapback][/right] [/quote] not that i know of... although the computer is kind of old. i need to go to bed (i've been sleeping lately) so my brain isnt up to unix file systems either... i backed up all of my files just in case... i hope my hard drive isn't going to die.
photosynthesis Posted January 11, 2006 Author Posted January 11, 2006 to my Linux posse: So my hard drive's having problems, both in Linux AND in Windows. Every time I load up Windows it starts acting funny, and when I try to load Ubuntu it only loads 1 out of maybe 6 tries because it says "no journal on filesystem" and has trouble mounting the filesystem. Right now I'm using my mom's desktop, which is brand new... but it would be nice to get my own computer working. I just got an Ubuntu 5.10 CD in the mail... do you think it would be better to just reinstall a new operating system and hope for the best?
scardella Posted January 11, 2006 Posted January 11, 2006 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:43 PM']to my Linux posse: So my hard drive's having problems, both in Linux AND in Windows. Every time I load up Windows it starts acting funny, and when I try to load Ubuntu it only loads 1 out of maybe 6 tries because it says "no journal on filesystem" and has trouble mounting the filesystem. Right now I'm using my mom's desktop, which is brand new... but it would be nice to get my own computer working. I just got an Ubuntu 5.10 CD in the mail... do you think it would be better to just reinstall a new operating system and hope for the best? [right][snapback]853107[/snapback][/right] [/quote] The fact that you're having probs w/ both win and lin probably points to a hardware problem. Specifically, from all your comments, it sounds like your harddrive is going bad. Back up anything you want to keep ASAP. Burn it to cd, copy to another computer, usb drive, or something like that. You're probably going to have to buy a new hdd and reinstall win and lin. I'd install windows first as long as you put multiple partitions...
photosynthesis Posted January 11, 2006 Author Posted January 11, 2006 oh MAN... time to start saving for a new comp
philothea Posted January 12, 2006 Posted January 12, 2006 I agree with scardella. (What a surprise.) Sounds like hardware. Consider a Mac Mini. (starts at $500) By the time you save up, they'll probably be upgraded to the Intel core duo.
photosynthesis Posted January 12, 2006 Author Posted January 12, 2006 mmm... macintosh I think I might save up for a mac laptop. I have a laptop now and it would be weird to go to a desktop (especially since I don't have a desk)
morostheos Posted April 6, 2006 Posted April 6, 2006 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jan 11 2006, 07:35 PM']mmm... macintosh I think I might save up for a mac laptop. I have a laptop now and it would be weird to go to a desktop (especially since I don't have a desk) [right][snapback]853367[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I'm looking to buy a mac laptop currently, it's so exciting! Of course, I would LOVE one with the Intel Core Duo, but they're really expensive right now and I don't really [i]need[/i] it....sigh..
sidemunch88 Posted April 6, 2006 Posted April 6, 2006 dude and they have like a movie theater screen on them
ReinnieR Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 i'm trying to install ubuntu but it freezes and it wont let me install it.
Theologian in Training Posted February 5, 2007 Posted February 5, 2007 Did you try other distributions other than ubuntu?
scardella Posted February 5, 2007 Posted February 5, 2007 (edited) Do you know the specs of the computer (specific hardware or model at least)? Actually, I was just about to burn a new version of Ubuntu to wipe my old install... Edited February 5, 2007 by scardella
Theologian in Training Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 Well, out of sheer discontent, annoyance, and every other emotional feeling Microsoft can cause one to feel, I am trying out Ubuntu. However, I am having an issue with video...and I don't know where to go to set it. I am also running through HDMI and I hope that does not effect it.
Theologian in Training Posted March 20, 2007 Posted March 20, 2007 I think this would have been a good version of linux if I could have figured out how to get certain things to work...going to try Knoppix...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now