photosynthesis Posted November 14, 2005 Author Posted November 14, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 13 2005, 11:53 PM']apt-get is my fav... that stinks! [right][snapback]787795[/snapback][/right] [/quote] yeah... i have a software engineer friend dude that is pretty good with Ubuntu so hopefully he'll be able to help me.
philothea Posted November 14, 2005 Posted November 14, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 13 2005, 11:53 PM']apt-get is my fav... that stinks! [right][snapback]787795[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I miss Debian...
photosynthesis Posted November 14, 2005 Author Posted November 14, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Nov 14 2005, 12:08 AM'] I miss Debian... [right][snapback]787824[/snapback][/right] [/quote] what are you using now?
philothea Posted November 14, 2005 Posted November 14, 2005 (edited) [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 14 2005, 12:13 AM']what are you using now? [right][snapback]787828[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Same as you used to, SuSE 9.1. It was impossible for me to use Debian until the latest release, because the physical configuration of my hard drive would not have been recognized. Now, I could upgrade, but I don't want to mess around with any computer stuff until I have a break between writing projects. Then I'll probably go on a disto-sampling spree. Edited November 14, 2005 by philothea
photosynthesis Posted November 14, 2005 Author Posted November 14, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Nov 14 2005, 12:20 AM']Same as you used to, SuSE 9.1. It was impossible for me to use Debian until the latest release, because the physical configuration of my hard drive would not have been recognized. Now, I could upgrade, but I don't want to mess around with any computer stuff until I have a break between writing projects. Then I'll probably go on a disto-sampling spree. [right][snapback]787846[/snapback][/right] [/quote] do you have a lot of RAM? SuSE 9.1 was really nice, and if I had more RAM it would have run faster and it wouldn't have annoyed the carp out of me It was fun while it lasted...
philothea Posted November 14, 2005 Posted November 14, 2005 (edited) [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 14 2005, 12:22 AM']do you have a lot of RAM? SuSE 9.1 was really nice, and if I had more RAM it would have run faster and it wouldn't have annoyed the carp out of me It was fun while it lasted... [right][snapback]787856[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah, 512 MB. I have stuck with SuSE because it's the first Linux I used. There are a lot of conventions that I keep thinking are Linux, but they're actually SuSE-isms. When I switch distros I have to add a bunch of aliases or I can't navigate. Back in version 5.1 SuSE automatically put a list of weird Bavarian holidays in every user's home directory. It's changed a lot. Edited November 14, 2005 by philothea
photosynthesis Posted November 14, 2005 Author Posted November 14, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Nov 14 2005, 12:28 AM']Yeah, 512 MB. I have stuck with SuSE because it's the first Linux I used. There are a lot of conventions that I keep thinking are Linux, but they're actually SuSE-isms. When I switch distros I have to add a bunch of aliases or I can't navigate. Back in version 5.1 SuSE automatically put a list of weird Bavarian holidays in every users's home directory. It's changed a lot. [right][snapback]787862[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I liked KDE too. Even though GNOME takes less RAM, KDE is still pretty-looking. I miss being able to customize EVERYTHING. Although...I think that i could customize a lot with GNOME, i just need to figure out how.
scardella Posted November 14, 2005 Posted November 14, 2005 y'all are making me seriously want to go and build a comp, just for linux geekiness. Unfortunately, I don't really have the physical space to do it...
photosynthesis Posted November 20, 2005 Author Posted November 20, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 14 2005, 11:26 AM']y'all are making me seriously want to go and build a comp, just for linux geekiness. Unfortunately, I don't really have the physical space to do it... [right][snapback]788387[/snapback][/right] [/quote] you and Aloysius can build one together!!! i love ubuntu! check out my GNOME desktop.... i got the coolest wallpaper--Post-Reformation Popes! [img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/clairemcnamara/Screenshot2.jpg[/img] now if I were REALLY a geek, I would be able to name them all!
philothea Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 I just downloaded the Ubuntu install CD. :
scardella Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 Actually, now that I'm at home, I might have enough stuff lying around to do it. I would just need room to set it up.
photosynthesis Posted November 21, 2005 Author Posted November 21, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 20 2005, 10:58 AM']Actually, now that I'm at home, I might have enough stuff lying around to do it. I would just need room to set it up. [right][snapback]795722[/snapback][/right] [/quote] what will the computer be like?
scardella Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 I think I've got an 800MHz AMD box sitting around somewhere from before I got my first Mac. I'd have to dig it out. If it's what I'm thinking, it's got ~128MB RAM, GeForce 2 MX, and ~10GB HDD.
photosynthesis Posted December 18, 2005 Author Posted December 18, 2005 ok, so i am having computer problems again... I'm using ubuntu 5.04, the hoary hedgehog version... it was working fine, but now it's having issues booting up... says something about a journal and errors on my hard drive. I just ordered the new version of ubuntu and i'm thinking about backing up all my important files, using windows for now and then reinstalling ubuntu when the new version comes in... have any of you heard abotu this new version? Do you think there's something better out there? everyone's telling me to switch to fedora core.
philothea Posted December 18, 2005 Posted December 18, 2005 Are you sure you don't have hardware problems? Can you run a SMART test? You should backup in any case!
photosynthesis Posted December 18, 2005 Author Posted December 18, 2005 it could be hardware problems... the computer is 4 years old. if I had the money right now i'd get a new one.
philothea Posted December 18, 2005 Posted December 18, 2005 Type apropos SMART at a terminal.. there should be a test program available. (I'm on the Mac right now, so I can't do this myself.) SMART is a thing hard drives have where they analyse their performance, log errors, and can warn you if they're about to die. If you can't find it I'll go bug the husband to tell me what the program is called.
photosynthesis Posted December 18, 2005 Author Posted December 18, 2005 oh my! I'll go run a check! i hope my computer isn't dying... i just restarted it, and it says "no journal on filesystem" It kept having to mount the file system over and over again. Sometimes when I start it up, it can't mount the filesystem at all, and I have to reboot it until it does. I'm not even sure what mounting your filesystem means.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now