Paladin D Posted July 16, 2005 Author Posted July 16, 2005 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 16 2005, 01:52 AM']Star Trek changed an entire generations view of our future. Star Wars is mere fantasy. [right][snapback]645085[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Some would say [b]Star Wars[/b] changed an entire generation's view of the future also, [b]and[/b] of story-telling and fantasy in general. While Star Trek is a mere sci-fi that lost it's flame 10 years ago (if you want to play that game). Star Wars is a modern mythological tale, and will be one of the basises of future mythological story-telling for generations to come.
jmsk1298 Posted July 16, 2005 Posted July 16, 2005 definitely Star Wars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
justin165243 Posted July 16, 2005 Posted July 16, 2005 Star Trek???? Star Trek???? STAR TREK?????????? Arise, Star Wars fans!!!!!! Show yourselves!!!! Tell those Star Trek lovers what is truly better! Star Wars has always, is, and always will be better than Star Trek! I can't believe that you guys like STAR TREK more!!!!!! Blashemers! Heretics!
reelguy227 Posted July 16, 2005 Posted July 16, 2005 [quote name='Paladin D' date='Jul 16 2005, 10:00 AM'] Star Wars is a modern mythological tale, and will be one of the basises of future mythological story-telling for generations to come. [right][snapback]645344[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You tell em Dallas ,you tell em !!!!!!! Star Wars has a very deep story line.
White Knight Posted July 17, 2005 Posted July 17, 2005 Even if thisn't isnt an official poll it doesn't mean anything... if you take this poll to say like to movies.com or something like that where everyone can vote.. then we'd get some true results. This poll is limited. unfortunately. If we had a Official poll, I believe Star Wars would flat out beat Star Trek in Popluarity.
mxkncathlcgrl Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 [b][color=purple][font="Optima"]Hands down.... STAR WARS[/color] .... I'm not much for mini series [/font][/b]
Apotheoun Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:52 PM']Star Trek came out in the 60's, so money is not a fair comparision. Star Trek changed an entire generations view of our future. Star Wars is mere fantasy. [right][snapback]645085[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I agree, I grew up watching Star Trek five nights a week at 6:00pm for more than 8 years before Star Wars ever flickered upon the big screen.
Apotheoun Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 I love to watch Star Trek, and I always will, because I grew up watching that TV show every weeknight for more than a decade. I also like the original Star Wars movies, and I stood in the huge lines that formed outside theaters in 1977 in order to see the original film. But Star Wars has lost something that it had in the first films, something intangible, and that I cannot really pin point or describe. That being the case, I can only say that I went from elation in 1999 when the first new Star Wars movie came out in more than 16 years, to utter disappointment after seeing the film. Both my brother and I, who loved the original movies came away with the sense that the main point of Star Wars now was simply to make money on toys. My brother had been so excited about getting to take his three sons to see a NEW Star Wars movie, and was so sad that it wasn't the experience he had longed for it to be. Both he and my nephews were bored to tears. Now, the "Revenge of the Sith," even with its many problems, is far closer to the feeling of the original Star Wars movies than "Phantom Menace," or even the "Attack of the Clones," but it still cannot measure up to "The Empire Strikes Back." Moreover, in retrospect I now see that the seeds of trouble were sown in "The Return of the Jedi," because although I still like that movie, the more that I see it, the less pleased I am with it. I still enjoy the light saber battle between Luke and Vader, and I still love the fact that Darth Vader (who I always secretly liked) destroyed the Emperor and returned to the good side of the force, but the battle on the Endor moon with the Ewok's and all that accompanies that really is boring to me now. Already by the time of "The Return of the Jedi" the main point of Star Wars was merchandising, i.e., the making of toys and models, and the Star Wars mythos took a back seat. As far as Star Wars coming to the little screen as a TV show is concerned, it has to be remembered that TV is a different medium than film, and George Lucas' track record with television (The Young Indiana Jones series) isn't all that good. So, one must not count their chickens before they are hatched; in other words, Star Wars may not transfer well to television. At least I can watch "The Empire Strikes Back" whenever I want to, and I have more than 700 hours of Star Trek to enjoy; besides, I'm sure there will be new Star Trek episodes in a few years, and until then I can watch Stargate (SG1 and Atlantis) and Battlestar Galactica.
cmotherofpirl Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 [quote name='Paladin D' date='Jul 16 2005, 11:00 AM']Some would say [b]Star Wars[/b] changed an entire generation's view of the future also, [b]and[/b] of story-telling and fantasy in general. While Star Trek is a mere sci-fi that lost it's flame 10 years ago (if you want to play that game). Star Wars is a modern mythological tale, and will be one of the basises of future mythological story-telling for generations to come. [right][snapback]645344[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You are missing my point. Star Wars is a nice enough myth and the first two movies were great.. But there are lots better science fiction stories out there. We of the Trekkie generation saw Star Trek as an actual future possibility - a whole generation saw peace on earth as a real possibility: cooperation not anihilation. Making lots of money is nothing compared to changing the world. Ask the guys at NASA what they watched as kids - Trekkies all the way. Why do you think a space shuttle was named "Enterprise"??
Socrates Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 19 2005, 03:39 PM']You are missing my point. Star Wars is a nice enough myth and the first two movies were great.. But there are lots better science fiction stories out there. We of the Trekkie generation saw Star Trek as an actual future possibility - a whole generation saw peace on earth as a real possibility: cooperation not anihilation. Making lots of money is nothing compared to changing the world. Ask the guys at NASA what they watched as kids - Trekkies all the way. Why do you think a space shuttle was named "Enterprise"?? [right][snapback]650138[/snapback][/right] [/quote] And therein lies the problem with Star Trek and Trekkies. Star Trek's liberal secular-humanist utopia is in reality as fantastic and far from reality as anything in Star Wars. I feel bad for anyone actually believing in that carp. For all its New-Agey foolishness, Star Wars' vision of a struggle good vs. evil is actually closer to reality than Star Trek's PC utopianism.
White Knight Posted July 20, 2005 Posted July 20, 2005 [quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 19 2005, 04:15 PM']And therein lies the problem with Star Trek and Trekkies. Star Trek's liberal secular-humanist utopia is in reality as fantastic and far from reality as anything in Star Wars. I feel bad for anyone actually believing in that carp. For all its New-Agey foolishness, Star Wars' vision of a struggle good vs. evil is actually closer to reality than Star Trek's PC utopianism. [right][snapback]650160[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I take it you feel bad for those who think the Jedi Religion in The UK? lol Thats when Star Wars goes to far. same with Star Trek, the moment you take something like that and turn it into a cult or a religion or a language or somethings thats going too far. lol [b]I'm a Star Wars fan and I know whats too far and not too far.[/b]
robguitar Posted July 20, 2005 Posted July 20, 2005 It's entertainment. It's not real. And the Vulcan mind meld is way cooler than the Jedi mind trick.
Sarah_JC Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 Pfft. Star Wars is teh best. I dressed up as a jedi for halloween. Jedi could beat Vulcans any day.
Didacus Posted August 1, 2005 Posted August 1, 2005 I dot it! I got it! As some of you might know, I am reading De Casu, by Anson of Cantiburry, aka, "the Fall of the Devil". And when reading it a little further last night, it cam to, *slap*, why Star Wars isn't what it seems to be! Hold on to your light sabers Star Wars 'fans', your universe is about to be shaken! --------------------------------- Anson of Cantebury forwards the notion, and this is a simplification of this notion, that evil does not exist, only the absence of good. Same with justice, there is no such thing as injustice, simply a lack of justice wherer there ougt to be justice. And countless examples in real life support this notion, even physically. For example, 'pushing' is an action that does not exist, rather, someone is 'pulling' towards one's self. Also, light functions the same way, since darkness is nothing as well. if I have a flashlight, and I activate it, I 'create' a beam of light. The light, in essence, is htus something. But if I de-activate the flash light, and where the beam once was now is dark, did I thus create darkness? f course not! where the darkness lay, is simply the absence of where light once was. Anson supports, based on this simplified thinking, that evil does not exist, simply the absence of good. Thus I apply his theological nad philosophical approach to tell you all this: STAR WARS is BS BS BS. It is heretical! To be proper, there should be two types of sabers, a 'blue light-sabor', and a black 'dark-saber'.....but noooooo, there is a blue pight-sabor and a red light-sabor, what silliness! And since evil is nothing, evil can have NO FORCE! Thus the power of the darkside is simply the absence of the power of the bright side. There is NO SUCH THING AS THE DARK FORCES OF DARTH VADOR! Star Wars is thus theologically and philosophically UNSOUND in its very premisse, and though leads the audience in an action and suspense delight, ses them on the path heresy! I actually understand this stuff! I haven't felt this sart in... well in... lets say; since a long long time ago! HA! Burn you star wars memorabilia! Destroy your movies of Star Wars! To the dark side they bring you! A trap they are! To the nothingess of evil they lead! _________________ I feel so great, I think I will post on the Pinky and the Brain thread, 'cause I feel like I can conquer the world today baby! [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=5992&hl=pinky"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=5992&hl=pinky[/url]
Paladin D Posted August 1, 2005 Author Posted August 1, 2005 [quote name='Didacus' date='Aug 1 2005, 08:29 AM']I dot it! I got it! As some of you might know, I am reading De Casu, by Anson of Cantiburry, aka, "the Fall of the Devil". And when reading it a little further last night, it cam to, *slap*, why Star Wars isn't what it seems to be! Hold on to your light sabers Star Wars 'fans', your universe is about to be shaken! --------------------------------- Anson of Cantebury forwards the notion, and this is a simplification of this notion, that evil does not exist, only the absence of good. Same with justice, there is no such thing as injustice, simply a lack of justice wherer there ougt to be justice. And countless examples in real life support this notion, even physically. For example, 'pushing' is an action that does not exist, rather, someone is 'pulling' towards one's self. Also, light functions the same way, since darkness is nothing as well. if I have a flashlight, and I activate it, I 'create' a beam of light. The light, in essence, is htus something. But if I de-activate the flash light, and where the beam once was now is dark, did I thus create darkness? f course not! where the darkness lay, is simply the absence of where light once was. Anson supports, based on this simplified thinking, that evil does not exist, simply the absence of good. Thus I apply his theological nad philosophical approach to tell you all this: STAR WARS is BS BS BS. It is heretical! To be proper, there should be two types of sabers, a 'blue light-sabor', and a black 'dark-saber'.....but noooooo, there is a blue pight-sabor and a red light-sabor, what silliness! And since evil is nothing, evil can have NO FORCE! Thus the power of the darkside is simply the absence of the power of the bright side. There is NO SUCH THING AS THE DARK FORCES OF DARTH VADOR! Star Wars is thus theologically and philosophically UNSOUND in its very premisse, and though leads the audience in an action and suspense delight, ses them on the path heresy! I actually understand this stuff! I haven't felt this sart in... well in... lets say; since a long long time ago! HA! Burn you star wars memorabilia! Destroy your movies of Star Wars! To the dark side they bring you! A trap they are! To the nothingess of evil they lead! _________________ I feel so great, I think I will post on the Pinky and the Brain thread, 'cause I feel like I can conquer the world today baby! [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=5992&hl=pinky"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=5992&hl=pinky[/url] [right][snapback]667008[/snapback][/right] [/quote] A lightsaber is merely an ancient weapon, a Sithlord can weild any colored saber if desired, it is tradition though that they choose a red crystal. Evil does exist, heard of Satan?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now