Dave Posted July 20, 2005 Author Posted July 20, 2005 (edited) [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:19 PM']There is nothing wrong with any of the hymns you mentioned. [right][snapback]651613[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Well then go here: [url="http://www.adoremus.org"]http://www.adoremus.org[/url] Oh, I just thought of another one: [url="http://www.canticanova.com"]http://www.canticanova.com[/url] And here's yet another: [url="http://www.mgilleland.com/music/moratorium.htm"]http://www.mgilleland.com/music/moratorium.htm[/url] Edited July 20, 2005 by Dave
Aloysius Posted July 20, 2005 Posted July 20, 2005 "Here I am Lord" may not be sung during the liturgy as it puts the people in the place of God singing the lyrics "I the Lord of sea and sky... et cetera" I believe Benny XVI has said stuff on that, as well as Cardinal Arinze, and I'm pretty sure it's documented somewhere by the CDW the other stuff is simply not supposed to be the first choice for the liturgy, or to have pride of place. chant is to have pride of place, and while other songs are allowed including some of the ones mentioned, they are not preferred by the Bride of Christ at her wedding feast (and who among you would dare to challenge any bride's musical preference at her wedding? ) but yeah, "Here I am Lord" is not allowed. The only time in the Liturgy when someone should be talking from God's perspective is during the scripture readings for the day and for the Consecration when the priest speaks in persona Christi. The CDW has said that using songs that put the entire congregation in the place of God are confusing and not to be used.
kateri05 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 umm quick question (not arguing, just trying to understand): how come you can't sing "God's part" during liturgy? and how come noone knows that cuz every church i've ever been to does it ALL the time
MC Just Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 Actually the bad music reminds me of liberal interpretation of Vatican II. I'm pretty positive Pope Benedict XVI does not agree with and would probably complain if he heard some of the music at mass in america. Dave is not a scismatic traditionalist, i have also experienced bad music and find that it is quite disruptive.
MC Just Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 We just love the Mass to be sacred, beautiful smells, bells and hymns. Not some party before we go watch the super bowl. Many have turned the mass into a show, and that is wrong.
kateri05 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 oh amen to that! nothing like a rock song during communion to help you NOT focus on becoming a living tabernacle of the Lord. :irate: sigh
qfnol31 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 [quote name='MC Just' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:26 PM']Actually the bad music reminds me of liberal interpretation of Vatican II. I'm pretty positive Pope Benedict XVI does not agree with and would probably complain if he heard some of the music at mass in america. Dave is not a scismatic traditionalist, i have also experienced bad music and find that it is quite disruptive. [right][snapback]651736[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I posted part to prove your point.
qfnol31 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 [quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 20 2005, 05:20 PM']They're not very pretty. And some of them are very theologically deep... [right][snapback]651620[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Are not. :angry: Get it right dude!
cmotherofpirl Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 "Here I am Lord" may not be sung during the liturgy as it puts the people in the place of God singing the lyrics "I the Lord of sea and sky... et cetera" This is simply not true.
qfnol31 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 I believe that the Vatican actually said that last year.
Aloysius Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 I think it was Cardinal Arinze and/or the CDW someone find the quote for me, I'm looking but I can't think of the exact wording so it's hard to find...
Aloysius Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 aahhh I've seen this quote like a hundred times, why can't I find it now? I am positive this is not permitted.
qfnol31 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 [quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 20 2005, 09:36 PM']I think it was Cardinal Arinze and/or the CDW someone find the quote for me, I'm looking but I can't think of the exact wording so it's hard to find... [right][snapback]651883[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ja, I've been searching for hours.
Colleen Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Dave' date='Jul 20 2005, 03:30 PM']At the parish near my house, where I often go for daily Mass, the congregation sings a hymn right at the beginning and right at the end of Mass. Unfortunately, the woman who chooses the hymns doesn't always choose the best ones, and we end up singing "On Eagle's Wings," "Gather Us In," "Here I Am Lord," "Be Not Afraid," "You Are Near," etc. I'm tempted to go to her the next time there's a bad song and ask her to avoid certain hymns from now on (of course, whether or not she'd actually avoid them is probably another matter entirely). But should I? Remember this is daily Mass, where we sing a capella. [right][snapback]651356[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Aww, Dave, I totally sympathize with you. We have an awesome priest at our parish -- very orthodox -- but we have to put up with simply dreadful music. I mean, I don't really care for the songs you mentioned, and they have them at our Masses, too, but sometimes the choir or cantor at our church will choose very [i]Protestant [/i]songs at Mass. There are many times when I just want to go up to them and say, "I'm sorry, but [i]Shall We Gather at the River[/i] is not a Catholic song, and it's simply not appropriate." I have often wanted to say something to Father about it, but I've been too shy. The thing that bothers me about a lot of the more recent hymns that are oftentimes sung at Mass is that for one, the music can be distracting, and for another, the lyrics just seem . . . well, shallow. There are many hymns that are much better. I used to go to a parish where they used the Adoremus Hymnal exclusively. It was beautiful. I really like the selections of hymns in it -- hymns in Latin and more traditional hymns in English. I would really like to return to that. Maybe you should purchase a copy of the Adoremus hymnal and give it to your Priest (or your choir director) and just say how awesome the music is and maybe show her some things Pope Benedict (as Cardinal Ratzinger) has said about music in the Liturgy. This is especially cool: [url="http://www.adoremus.org/1101musicliturgy.html"]Music and Liturgy -- How does music express the Word of God, the Vision of God?[/url] by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger. Maybe if you do it that way, changes could be made in a more positive, smoother fashion. Edited July 21, 2005 by Colleen
qfnol31 Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 I agree though, I find Gregorian chant much less distracting, and I sing it, so I would know if it were. I go to a Mass during the school year where the monks are growing old and off key (or so says our schola director, an 80-year-old monk over there), but even that isn't that distracting. If you listen to polyphony in the background, you actually realize how much easier it can make it to pray.
Aloysius Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 I am positive that quote exists and it is driving me crazy that I can't find it.
cmotherofpirl Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Colleen' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:52 PM']I don't really care for the songs you mentioned, and they have them at our Masses, too, but sometimes the choir or cantor at our church will choose very [i]Protestant [/i]songs at Mass. There are many times when I just want to go up to them and say, "I'm sorry, but [i]Shall We Gather at the River[/i] is not a Catholic song, and it's simply not appropriate." [right][snapback]651896[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Define a "Catholic" song, there are many old songs that are found in protestant hymnals that we have been singing for many years. Edited July 21, 2005 by cmotherofpirl
mulls Posted July 21, 2005 Posted July 21, 2005 haha, I grew up with the "Glory & Praise" I bet I still know 80% of the songs in there by heart.
Recommended Posts