An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you want your religious name to be?

zabbazooey

i am not sure what i would want my religious name to be assuming i get one. I would have to pray about it alot as i like many names. :)

There are so many I would like I can't make up my mind. I've decided I am going to ask the community to choose.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 25 2005, 03:09 PM']I would want to be called Sister Bernadette.
[right][snapback]658524[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What is a good question, but why should also follow shouldn't it?

So why do you want to be called sister Bernadette?

mariology21

I'd have to say Sister Marie-Therese. In honor of both our Lady and St. Therese de Lisieux both of whom I have big devotions to. But since I've got them both working on my vocation to the married life.....I'm not going to be able to use it for the Religious life. BUT I am going to have a daughter someday and name HER Marie-Therese in honor of our Lady and St. Therese. (Well....if God decides to give me a little girl that is!!!)

~Jen

theculturewarrior

Br. Elijah of the Little Flower. :)

But first I have to figure out if this is in my cards, so to speak. ;)

I don't know... I have several in mind that kind of make me grin ear to ear, and then my family asks what the heck is wrong with me and I jump back to the real world. lol. But here they are:

Sr. John Paul :love: umm... need I say more?
Sr. Joan Maximilian (That's my favorite name if I were to have a daughter) After the two rockin' saints Joan of Arc and Maximilian Kolbe
Sr. Francis Madonna (After St. Francis de Sales--whose spirituality I love very much... he's such a cool saint and Madonna of the Precious Blood, because I am very devoted to the Precious Blood, and I'm trying to love Our Lady more and more)

I've never told anyone those...

Is it only some orders that allow you to change your name?

It seems active sisters often don't... I think that is too bad.

I mean, I'd love to make Jennifer a saint's name of course... :blush: But I need all the help from some good saints that I can get. :saint:

Plus... is it considered a bad thing for a woman to take a man's name? It's just, I'm more drawn to male saints... I guess because of their pastoral nature maybe. It's not like I resent being a woman or not being able to be a priest.... but i heard once that it's nuns like that that tend to pick masculine names. Idk... :unsure:

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:09 PM']I would want to be called Sister Bernadette.
[right][snapback]658524[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

St. Bernadette was cool. One of my best friends is like, in love with her. She wanted it to be her confirmation name, but her sister already had it so she went with Rita. Why do you like it?

The Mercedarians don't take names? I thought they must have. Maybe I have the ad of theirs mixed up with someone else.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Ha ha... I have thought about this and created a small list... in fact I have a blog entry about this! :lol: I think I may go with Sister Mary Anthony, but that is if Mother Abbess chooses it for me... Here's my little snippet from my blog about this:
[quote]So, lately I have been thinking about what name I would take as a Sister, and I was trying to think of Saints that have played a role somewhere in my life. I have some up with quite a few, so I might as well share the list that I have so far! Also, I wish to honor Our Blessed Mother with my name, so all my choices will begin as Sister Mary ... So, here is the list of what I have come up with so far. I will most likely explain the relevance of the Saint later as I do not have much time to spend explaining them all right now.

* Sister Mary Helen
    * Sister Mary Leo
    * Sister Mary Ambrose (actually, this one just sounded pretty to me)
    * Sister Mary Luke
    * Sister Mary Andrew
    * Sister Mary Therese (or Teresa)
    * Sister Mary Louise (can I take my middle name as my name I wonder...)

Ha ha... I will definatly have to shorten this list quite a bit before I enter! Also, there is the matter of the title that I will take along with my name. I have a few ideas, but the first few are my favorites based on my favorite devotions.

* of the Passion
    * of the Precious Blood
    * of the Five Wounds
    * of the Sacred Heart

Now, the choice of the name I choose is not up to me at all, rather it is left up to Mother Abess who will make the choice from a few names and titles that I will suggest to her along with reasoning. But even with that, she may choose something entirely different from what I have suggested to her! It is all in God's hands though, and I must rely on Him rather than myself even in such trivial matters as these.[/quote]

mariology21

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Jul 25 2005, 08:12 PM']I mean, I'd love to make Jennifer a saint's name of course...  :blush:  But I need all the help from some good saints that I can get.  :saint:

Plus... is it considered a bad thing for a woman to take a man's name? It's just, I'm more drawn to male saints... I guess because of their pastoral nature maybe. It's not like I resent being a woman or not being able to be a priest.... but i heard once that it's nuns like that that tend to pick masculine names. Idk... :unsure:
[right][snapback]658824[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ohhh I'd love to make Jennifer a saint's name too!!! :D:

I don't think it's a bad thing for a woman to take a man's name. Many men have taken women's names (actually one of the only one's I can think of is many saint's taken the name of Mary). But I'm not too sure on the "rules" of how to go about that. If there are any that is!

~Jen

[quote name='mariology21' date='Jul 25 2005, 07:55 PM']Ohhh I'd love to make Jennifer a saint's name too!!!  :D:
[/quote]

That makes three of us!

If I could suggest names, my favorite saints are St. Edith Stein (Teresa Benedicta), St. Maria Goretti, St. Gianna Beretta Molla, Bl. Mother Teresa, and S.t Rose Philippine Duchesne. My mom said she isn't too keen on me picking guy saints, plus Francis [Francesca] is already taken in my community, and St. John Bosco's feast day is on my birthday, so he's already one of my patrons!

Out of all of those, I would really love to be named after St. Rose Philippine Duchesne. I grew up in St. Charles, MO, not too far from where her remains rest (my first street was named Duchesne!). I love everything about her life, and it would be really cool to adopt her as my patroness and model for religious life.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jul 25 2005, 06:38 PM']Out of all of those, I would really love to be named after St. Rose Philippine Duchesne. I grew up in St. Charles, MO, not too far from where her remains rest (my first street was named Duchesne!). I love everything about her life, and it would be really cool to adopt her as my patroness and model for religious life.
[right][snapback]658961[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ooh... that's a lovely name. I don't know anything about her though... I love Edith Stein! Is Gianna Beretta Molla the one that died in childbirth rather than abort her baby?

FutureNun, I like your names I like Mary Leo and Mary Ambrose and Mary Luke myself... And I am certainly fond of "of the Precious Blood" ("of the Passion" is wonderful too.) Oh heck... they're all wonderful.

Edited by zunshynn

photosynthesis

[quote name='mariology21' date='Jul 25 2005, 07:31 PM']I'd have to say Sister Marie-Therese. In honor of both our Lady and St. Therese de Lisieux both of whom I have big devotions to. But since I've got them both working on my vocation to the married life.....I'm not going to be able to use it for the Religious life. BUT I am going to have a daughter someday and name HER Marie-Therese in honor of our Lady and St. Therese. (Well....if God decides to give me a little girl that is!!!)

~Jen
[right][snapback]658720[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i don't mean to sound weird... I've read a lot about discerning a call to religious life... but how do you discern a call to married life? No one really talks about that?