inDEED Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 Do you think it would be possible to have a forum *specifically* for those posts with the specific intention to "rant" or "rave" about the "hip" music during Mass or those "wacky clappers"? In other words - a forum specifically for those people who wish to "vent" (I call it talkin' trash) about the way that their parish may or may not do things "right"? That would REALLY do a GREAT service to those of us who are sick and tired of seeing topics that are centered on how evil Lifeteen is, how bad liturgical music with a drum or guitar is, or how evil OCP is in bringing worship music to the masses. That'd be SPECTACULAR! werd.
sweetpea316 Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 (edited) Can't we all just be happy and get along? Edited October 3, 2005 by sweetpea316
Carrie Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 I can understand where inDEED is coming from. When one is giving a great deal of time and effort, like inDEED is, to spreading the word through good Catholic music, it can be disheartening when people are always putting down your efforts.
inDEED Posted October 3, 2005 Author Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='Carrie' date='Oct 3 2005, 12:01 PM']I can understand where inDEED is coming from. When one is giving a great deal of time and effort, like inDEED is, to spreading the word through good Catholic music, it can be disheartening when people are always putting down your efforts. [right][snapback]744669[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Carrie...you're awesome... I recognize that there are MANY on this phorum who can't STAND the "Lifeteen" music found in many masses today...and that's totally up to them...preference in music is something we're all entitled to have. HOWEVER - with each bash of a Catholic Church's liturgy is a bash @ the Bishop of that diocese. I'll put it VERY simple: PHATMASS SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR YOU TO VENT YOUR ANGER AND FRUSTRATION AT HOW A PARTICULAR MASS IS CELEBRATED. PLEASE DO NOT USE IT AS SUCH. It's getting SO ANNOYING to see SO MANY THREADS about the SAME THING. Get off your high horses and get past the music and focus into His presence...
Lil Red Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='inDEED' date='Oct 3 2005, 01:23 PM']PHATMASS SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR YOU TO VENT YOUR ANGER AND FRUSTRATION AT HOW A PARTICULAR MASS IS CELEBRATED. PLEASE DO NOT USE IT AS SUCH.[right][snapback]744704[/snapback][/right][/quote] i needed this reminder, in my own personal life, not necessarily on phatmass. thank you for this reminder, inDEED.
sweetpea316 Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 Indeed. Complaining frustrates me, yet I find myself doing it too. Definitely something to work on.
inDEED Posted October 3, 2005 Author Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Oct 3 2005, 12:27 PM']i needed this reminder, in my own personal life, not necessarily on phatmass. thank you for this reminder, inDEED. [right][snapback]744708[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Lil Red...you're as old school as I am...
Nicole8223 Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 YES...AGREED!!! I hear ya inDEED...it's so annoying... I vote for a separate forum for the group that complains about music.....yes....
inDEED Posted October 3, 2005 Author Posted October 3, 2005 I KNOW, I KNOW!!! How about a "Complaint Forum"? I won't let this topic die until dUSt stamps it... Ya heard.
Carrie Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='inDEED' date='Oct 3 2005, 05:21 PM']Ya heard. [right][snapback]744777[/snapback][/right] [/quote] werd.
CatholicAndFanatical Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Oct 3 2005, 03:27 PM']i needed this reminder, in my own personal life, not necessarily on phatmass. thank you for this reminder, inDEED. [right][snapback]744708[/snapback][/right] [/quote] No kidding Lil Red..geesh. I agree with you inDEED. Keep up the great work
Lil Red Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='inDEED' date='Oct 3 2005, 01:48 PM'] Lil Red...you're as old school as I am...[right][snapback]744725[/snapback][/right][/quote] : you know it [quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' date='Oct 3 2005, 02:25 PM']No kidding Lil Red..geesh. [right][snapback]744784[/snapback][/right][/quote] but, but, but, :
inDEED Posted October 3, 2005 Author Posted October 3, 2005 [quote name='inDEED' date='Oct 3 2005, 01:21 PM']I won't let this topic die until dUSt stamps it... Ya heard. [right][snapback]744777[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Era Might Posted October 3, 2005 Posted October 3, 2005 (edited) [quote]or how evil OCP is in bringing worship music to the masses.[/quote] Two thousand years of Liturgical hymns, but somehow the "masses" didn't have "worship" music until OCP came along...? Edited October 3, 2005 by Era Might
Aloysius Posted October 4, 2005 Posted October 4, 2005 not gonna happen, main reason: dUSt doesn't want any more phorums anyway, phatmass should be a place where we can talk about liturgical abuses and things that go against the spirit of Vatican II (the spirit of Vatican II is GREGORIAN CHANT and SACRED POLYPHYNY). If you don't like it, don't read it. But I find it insulting to music to call all types of music equal and judge solely on lyrics. Types of music have inherent qualities to them, some draw in the emotions and some draw in the intellect and some draw in the whole of the human person. Some reflect the simplicity of the human voice as the only instrument created by God himself, some emphasize the beat and tap into primordial instincts of a person. To say that the only thing that matters is the lyrics is utterly wrong and insulting to the nature of music. relativism in regards to musical type is very harmful especially to the roman liturgy. gregorian chant and sacred polyphany are the only types of music distinctly designed to enhance the roman liturgy. the allowance of other types of music is intended for specific situations and may or may not have been wise-- it is a matter of discipline and right now the reform of the reform is working to correct its negative side effects. like I said, if you don't like it, don't read it. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings for me to say I don't want your type of music in the mass, but there are objective realities about the nature of music and the nature of the roman liturgy that I will never back down on. Neither is there any reason to attempt to silence such legitimate concerns.
inDEED Posted October 4, 2005 Author Posted October 4, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 3 2005, 04:41 PM']Two thousand years of Liturgical hymns, but somehow the "masses" didn't have "worship" music until OCP came along...? [right][snapback]745013[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Dude, I know how you feel...and, while I LOVE sarcasm - it isn't working here...you know what I mean...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now