An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmassers who have entered religious life

OLAM Dad

Benedict's day is a pretty sweet day! Especially since he's the patron of our Holy Father!

I was always happy I was born on St. John Bosco's feast day. I like to say I was born to catechize!

My day doesn't seem to have much Church meaning. However, Pierre Toussaint was freed from slavery on my birthday. . . The DCJ were founded on my birthday. :lol:

Alphonsus Ligouri is my birthday saint. I think I'm supposed to use him to help understand my Marian devotion more. :)

I was born on St Juan Diego's feast day - and the first day he saw our Lady of Guadalupe!! It wasn't til last year that I realised my favourite Marian apparition started on my birthday!! (although, hundreds of years before ;) )

brendan1104

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Mar 10 2006, 09:23 AM']Thats sweet...i rather have my birthday that day over the feast of St. Benedict!!!!! blah!!!!
[right][snapback]907948[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

how can you slight Mama Mary like that? and his REAL feast day is March 21...

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 10 2006, 06:59 PM']how can you slight Mama Mary like that? and his REAL feast day is March 21...
[right][snapback]908415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i'm sooo confused!!!!!

Laurentina1975

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Mar 10 2006, 11:39 PM']i'm sooo confused!!!!!
[right][snapback]908574[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're best bet is to IGNORE...believe me on this.

I think I can help. I'm conversationally fluent in rad-trad. :)

When Brendan posts, or any radical traditionalist for that matter, you have to understand their vernacular. For example, 'real' typically means 'old' or 'before VII'.

Let's put his sentence into my little rad-trad translation machine and see what happens.

how can you slight Mama Mary like that? and his REAL feast day is March 21...

...clunk, clunk...pop,pop... (These are the sounds my translation machine makes)

how can you slight Mama Mary like that? and his pre-vatican II feast day is March 21...

Success! I love this machine.

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Mar 10 2006, 08:23 AM']Thats sweet...i rather have my birthday that day over the feast of St. Benedict!!!!! blah!!!!
[right][snapback]907948[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Six,

Read a copy of Benedict's Rule of Life. I think there are many books out there, but I don't know which ones are a good read. Maybe someone here can point you to a good book [stay away from all of Joan Chittister's works.]

Ora et Labora...pray and work....Benedict is very balanced between the two.

Also, The Holy Father is named Benedict...can't go wrong there!

Mary-Kathryn

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Mar 10 2006, 06:59 PM']how can you slight Mama Mary like that? and his REAL feast day is March 21...
[right][snapback]908415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is the reason that converts like myself will be the un-ending voice of faith and obedience in Holy Mother Church. While many Catholics tend to "do their own thing" and clang about like bells out of sync, we come INTO The Church embracing all that is True and Holy. Think about it. We come [for the most part] as adults with eyes wide open, no guns to our heads or threats. We come because we know the Truth when we see it and run to meet it. Oh, and despite what many mis-informed people believe, it's not all because someone is getting married to a Catholic [although that too is a beautiful way to unite oneself by faith and marriage]

It does take time for faith to grow. I've been a Catholic for 17 years and I am growing in God's time, not my own. I'm married to a retired military man and have been all over. Have I seen abuses? Oh you bet. Did it shake me to the core? Yep. But I am still here, with faith stronger than ever. Think of Our Lord who is ever-present in The Most Blessed Sacrament. People can get stupid but He never abandons.

I am very blessed to be in a wonderful diocese here in Virginia.We have vocations year after year and priests who are faithful to the core.

This year in our diocese, we will have 697 people coming into the Church,catechumens and candidates, see article here [url="http://www.catholicherald.com/articles/06articles/rite0309.htm"]http://www.catholicherald.com/articles/06a...es/rite0309.htm[/url]. ] So you see, while so many insist on all of their protestant behaviors, the converts will turn the tide and swallow the noisy ones with their quiet obedience.

Understand there is no disrespect meant when I say "protestant behaviors". My entire family is Baptist--but that's another story. I just see it in many Catholics. Let me try to make it somewhat less muddy here:

Having grown up in the south, I saw this kind of "fractioning" if you will, of churches and people, all the time. Let me give you an example to help make it clear: Baptist Church number one is large, but starts having all of this in-fighting. So one group leaves and makes their own church. A few years later, this repeats itself with the second church and a third church is created...and on and on...

From my experience and friendship with converts, we aren't interested in that. We don't come seeking ourselves and our own agenda, we come seeking Him and The Church in all of her glory.

In the end, I don't give a flying fig newton [sorry, that's a pet saying of mine and is not a curse word!] about the spats of what day this or that saint's feast day is on. Think how small that is compared to receiving Our Lord at Communion. Think how small that is compared to being able to drop by a church anytime of the day or evening, and sit with Him for awhile. Think how small we are compared to His Glory.

I simply look to The Church and whatever day they pick for saint's feast days, I do it. If I look exclusively to people as the basis of all my faith, I wouldn't get very far. Humans are imperfect and flawed in big ways and small. I keep my eyes trained on Our Lord. Well...there are days with kids, the slobbering dog and a hectic schedule gone awry when I have my moments....but you understand.

Let's focus on what really matters. In the end, it's not going to matter if you attend a Mass that is in Latin [thought I absolutely love it] or English. It's not going to matter which way the altar is facing, or how much finger-pointing is done about which day is really a feast day. It will matter how much you love He Who is Love. From love comes obedience.

This is just my opinion Brendan, and not meant as an attack on you in any way. This is just one convert's opinion of what I have seen over the course of many years.

May God Bless and keep you.
Mary-Kathryn

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

Laurentina1975

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 11 2006, 02:08 AM']:huh:
[right][snapback]908606[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:numchucks:
Trying to maintain peace and harmony in Vocation Station.
(without getting out the numchucks).

Mary-Kathryn, look on the bright side of things. If the proper day for a feast or which way the altar should face are the 'big' issues we debate about we really are fortunate. Our protestant brethern are forced to debate about issues central to the faith because they don't have an authorative body like we do. We bicker about things that in retrospect are minor.

On the other hand, abuses in the Mass DO drive people away and shouldn't be taken lightly. The Church is serious and should be treated seriously and when people don't do that, by abusing the sacraments, people will leave. We can't turn our backs and allow others to destroy Christ's Church.

I don't think Bredan takes terrible offense upon which day saint feasts are celebrated. I believe he was just taunting.

fwiw, believe it or not, some of us cradle Catholics are also capable of 'embracing all that is true and holy'. We're certainly glad you converts have joined us though. I'm glad we finally have people who will be 'the un-ending voice of faith and obedience in Holy Mother Church'. :ohno: