An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion vs. Death Penalty

Guest alberic

catholicinsd

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:17 PM']Would you say that it has ever been appropriate, following our current discussion?
[right][snapback]848954[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Heck no.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 02:15 PM']If God said it's okay, it's wrong to say that execution is against the natural human order, when it's applied appropriately.
[right][snapback]848947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm sure that there was a time when the death penalty was not unnatural but today in the twenty first century when we can ensure that crimials are not dangerous to society without execution, in my opinion doing so is wrong. Also, there are alot of issues recently with how acuratly we can determine guilt or innocence; a man was recently exonerated after his exectution. Also, in this county the death penatly is largely racially biased. Considering these factors, I think that the death penalty needs to be stopped as soon as possible. Keep in mind that the US bishops have consistently called for and end to capital punishment.

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:21 PM']I'm sure that there was a time when the death penalty was not unnatural but today in the twenty first century when we can ensure that crimials are not dangerous to society  without execution, in my opinion doing so is wrong.  Also, there are alot of issues recently with how acuratly we can determine guilt or innocence; a man was recently exonerated after his exectution.  Also, in this county the death penatly is largely racially biased.  Considering these factors, I think that the death penalty needs to be stopped as soon as possible.  Keep in mind that the US bishops have consistently called for and end to capital punishment.
[right][snapback]848958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My argument here is pretty much that we cannot call it intrinsically evil. :)

Other than that, I'm pretty willing to listen to private opinions, as long as people (as you have) admit they are such. :)

catholicinsd

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:21 PM']I'm sure that there was a time when the death penalty was not unnatural but today in the twenty first century when we can ensure that crimials are not dangerous to society  without execution, in my opinion doing so is wrong.  Also, there are alot of issues recently with how acuratly we can determine guilt or innocence; a man was recently exonerated after his exectution.  Also, in this county the death penatly is largely racially biased.  Considering these factors, I think that the death penalty needs to be stopped as soon as possible.  Keep in mind that the US bishops have consistently called for and end to capital punishment.
[right][snapback]848958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, after each session they write a letter asking Congress to stop it.

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:25 PM']Yeah, after each session they write a letter asking Congress to stop it.
[right][snapback]848963[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I kinda wish they wouldn't...

catholicinsd

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:27 PM']I kinda wish they wouldn't...
[right][snapback]848964[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why do you say that?

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:21 PM']So it was wrong with the Israelites did it then?
[right][snapback]848960[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Bump this in case you missed it.

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:28 PM']Why do you say that?
[right][snapback]848965[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Eh, I don't think it's necessary or really prudent.

catholicinsd

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:29 PM']Bump this in case you missed it..
[right][snapback]848967[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

DP is always wrong

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:31 PM']DP is always wrong
[right][snapback]848970[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

But isn't it wrong to go against what God specifically commands? He did command it be used.

I'm having a hard time seeing how you rectify the two.

catholicinsd

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:32 PM']But isn't it wrong to go against what God specifically commands?  He did command it be used.

I'm having a hard time seeing how you rectify the two.
[right][snapback]848972[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I personally think that was tragic misunderstanding.

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:33 PM']I personally think that was tragic misunderstanding.
[right][snapback]848974[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why do you say that?

And why/how do you say the death penalty is always wrong?

catholicinsd

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:34 PM']Why do you say that?

And why/how do you say the death penalty is always wrong?
[right][snapback]848975[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Bible is full of people not understanding God, there are many mistranslations.

In the Hebrew it remains the same...and in Latin and I would assume Greek.

Believe me, this isn't a mistranslation. :)

Plus, why do you think that they were still doing it in Jesus' time?

catholicinsd

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 7 2006, 05:35 PM']In the Hebrew it remains the same...and in Latin and I would assume Greek.

Believe me, this isn't a mistranslation.  :)

Plus, why do you think that they were still doing it in Jesus' time?
[right][snapback]849058[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Because they hadn't been saved by his Precious Blood yet.