Lounge Daddy Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 [quote]T-shirts making fun of Mayor Ray Nagin's remark that New Orleans would once again be a "chocolate city" are in high demand, with recent orders coming in from overseas countries, according to a Local 6 News report. A company said it has filled thousands of orders of T-shirts featuring Nagin in a top hat as Willy Wonka. The shirt has the words "Willy Nagin and the Chocolate Factory" printed on it.[/quote] [url="http://www.local6.com/news/6425567/detail.html"]---- from article HERE[/url] [img]http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0125/6419115.jpg[/img] lol! funny stuff
Guest Rick777 Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 I still think his comments were unacceptable, what if a white man said something like this? New Orleans should be white!idk. Props to anyone who would wear it though.
Ash Wednesday Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 Nagin puts his foot in his mouth too often to have much of a political future.
Cam42 Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 Racism in ANY form is unacceptable. What mayor Nagin said, unacceptable. What this t-shirt says, unacceptable. End of story.
Jaime Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 [quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 27 2006, 06:58 AM']Racism in ANY form is unacceptable. What mayor Nagin said, unacceptable. What this t-shirt says, unacceptable. End of story. [right][snapback]867385[/snapback][/right] [/quote] ditto
toledo_jesus Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 [quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 27 2006, 07:58 AM']Racism in ANY form is unacceptable. What mayor Nagin said, unacceptable. What this t-shirt says, unacceptable. End of story. [right][snapback]867385[/snapback][/right] [/quote] it's lampooning his statement...I don't see the racism. Unless, the shirt is making fun of his obvious bias.
Ash Wednesday Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 I agree with Toledo. The shirt just points out the stupidity of his statement. I wonder if David Duke ever wanted a vanilla Louisiana?
1337 k4th0l1x0r Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 [url="http://chocolatecity.ytmnd.com/"]http://chocolatecity.ytmnd.com/[/url]
dUSt Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 I think cities should be vanilla, with big chunks of chocolate in it, with caramel on top. That way, when it get's hot outside, we'd all mix together to form a dooky brown color.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 [quote name='dUSt' date='Jan 27 2006, 10:18 AM']I think cities should be vanilla, with big chunks of chocolate in it, with caramel on top. That way, when it get's hot outside, we'd all mix together to form a dooky brown color. [right][snapback]867443[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Cam42 Posted January 28, 2006 Posted January 28, 2006 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Jan 27 2006, 09:13 AM']it's lampooning his statement...I don't see the racism. Unless, the shirt is making fun of his obvious bias. [right][snapback]867411[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Nope, it's racism..... Racism in [b]ANY[/b] form, lampooning or not is unacceptable. Why support this racist humor? I think that it is deplorable that people on a Catholic forum will support this form of obvious racism. Whether you see it or not, it is racism..... And it makes me sick. It is this mindset that makes me wonder if we will EVER have racial equality in this country. Too bad really, too bad.
Quietfire Posted January 28, 2006 Posted January 28, 2006 Actually Cam, I have to agree with you. Just look at some of the shows that are on tv and dont even get me started with alot of movies, they are literally promoting racism. Yuk.
toledo_jesus Posted January 28, 2006 Posted January 28, 2006 [quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 28 2006, 08:27 AM']Nope, it's racism..... Racism in [b]ANY[/b] form, lampooning or not is unacceptable. Why support this racist humor? I think that it is deplorable that people on a Catholic forum will support this form of obvious racism. Whether you see it or not, it is racism..... And it makes me sick. It is this mindset that makes me wonder if we will EVER have racial equality in this country. Too bad really, too bad. [right][snapback]868481[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It is not racism, Cam. It is not racist to laugh at stupid people, no matter what color they are. You know when we'll really have racial equality? When somebody can joke about moronic comments made by a person who looks different without being labelled a racist. Race doesn't matter! We're not laughing at the fact that he's black, or talking about black people...It was a stupid statement! A bad metaphor! He deserves to be lampooned for such a daffy public statement.
Cow of Shame Posted January 28, 2006 Posted January 28, 2006 [quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 28 2006, 08:27 AM']Racism in [b]ANY[/b] form, lampooning or not is unacceptable. Why support this racist humor? [/quote] You didn't like [i]Blazing Saddles[/i], did you? Poor Cam
Akalyte Posted January 28, 2006 Posted January 28, 2006 [quote name='dUSt' date='Jan 27 2006, 08:18 AM']I think cities should be vanilla, with big chunks of chocolate in it, with caramel on top. That way, when it get's hot outside, we'd all mix together to form a dooky brown color. [right][snapback]867443[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Cam42 Posted January 28, 2006 Posted January 28, 2006 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Jan 28 2006, 11:50 AM']It is not racism, Cam. It is not racist to laugh at stupid people, no matter what color they are. You know when we'll really have racial equality? When somebody can joke about moronic comments made by a person who looks different without being labelled a racist. Race doesn't matter! We're not laughing at the fact that he's black, or talking about black people...It was a stupid statement! A bad metaphor! He deserves to be lampooned for such a daffy public statement. [right][snapback]868529[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It is racism. We will have racial equality when ALL people respect ALL other people. I believe that I scorned Mayor Nagin as well didn't I? I did. What he said was racist. And it was too bad. What the t-shirt says is racist. Too bad. Don't like it, the truth isn't always fun to hear. Lampooned racism is still racism. How about we take steps to end it and not promote it under another label? I am not looking for a debate. I offered my opinion. Some don't like it. That's fine. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I do expect my voice to be respected. Especially when I am speaking about fair treatment for all persons......black, white, or otherwise.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now