Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nagin's 'Chocolate' Remark Sparks T-Shirt Craze


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 28 2006, 07:23 PM']I am not on my high horse.  I am simply opposed to racism in any form.  This is racism.

If you think that this form of racism is funny, then perhaps you need to check yourself as well.

racism

n 1: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races 2: [b]discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race[/b] [syn: racialism, racial discrimination]

Clearly, this is a case of defnition of number 2, on both sides; as I have said.
[right][snapback]868837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ah. come on, it's not racism!

Are you saying that if something laughs at a politician who is black, that is automatically racism?
I don't consider it racism any more than a T-shirt laughing at some stupid saying of Bill Clinton or John Kerry.

Or is the issue that we happen to be white, and therefore can't laugh at anything dealing with someone who happens to be black?

Would it be racist for a black man to have a T-shirt laughing at President Bush?

You're starting to sound sillier than that Nagin character. You make me laugh! :lol: :lol_roll:

Posted

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 28 2006, 09:34 PM']Ah. come on, it's not racism!

Are you saying that if something laughs at a politician who is black, that is automatically racism?
I don't consider it racism any more than a T-shirt laughing at some stupid saying of Bill Clinton or John Kerry.

Or is the issue that we happen to be white, and therefore can't laugh at anything dealing with someone who happens to be black?

Would it be racist for a black man to have a T-shirt laughing at President Bush?

You're starting to sound sillier than that Nagin character.  You make me laugh!  :lol:   :lol_roll:
[right][snapback]868842[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, and you are missing my point entirely, as usual.

I am not saying that if something laughs at a politician it is automatically racism. But when something makes a joke of race, it is racism.....(let me be clear, because this is where I lose you......)

[b]BOTH MAYOR NAGIN AND THE T-SHIRT ARE RACIST IN NATURE.[/b]

I am not saying one is more racist than the other, but rather that BOTH are racist. What you consider racist or don't consider racist doesn't make it so or make it not so. However, when by defintion, the statement or action promoted fits the defition, then it is [i]de facto[/i] racist.

Oh, and how about a little respect? Your typing style is very offensive toward me, personally. Thank you for reigning it in. I find you to be very argumentative toward me no matter what thread we are on.....please stop trolling me. God Bless.

Posted

The T-Shirt is not funny.

<<Conservative

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

T-Shirt is funny
<---------- Monarchist.

Posted (edited)

I take racist remarks very seriously (one of my best friends is African American, and I found out that some members of my family had died in the Holocaust, in one of the biggest acts of racism, genocide, and I'm part of a diversity club), and I thought the shirt was funny.

It's a parody! It's not telling people to hate white people (and I am white), it's making fun of Ray Nagin's comments. That's like those political cartoons about John Kerry saying, There are two sides to every issue and I agree with both of them.

Political jokes are funny.

I'm neither conservative nor liberal, by the way. I take views from each side and fit them into the way I look at my faith in God and His Church and how I believe the world should be

Edited by avemaria40
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

Diversity Club?

Posted

Yup! It's a lot of fun, we talk about issues, and accepting diversity between people. We haven't done alot lately but we get into some pretty interesting discussions

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

i see. we have something like that as well. I am opposed to the idea of diversity jutst for the sake of diversity.

HomeTeamFamily
Posted

the shirt is stupid

the comment was racist, if you cant see the racism in the statement, read it again

Posted

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jan 28 2006, 08:19 PM']No, and you are missing my point entirely, as usual.

I am not saying that if something laughs at a politician it is automatically racism.  But when something makes a joke of race, it is racism.....(let me be clear, because this is where I lose you......)

[b]BOTH MAYOR NAGIN AND THE T-SHIRT ARE RACIST IN NATURE.[/b]

I am not saying one is more racist than the other, but rather that BOTH are racist.  What you consider racist or don't consider racist doesn't make it so or make it not so.  However, when by defintion, the statement or action promoted fits the defition, then it is [i]de facto[/i] racist.

Oh, and how about a little respect?  Your typing style is very offensive toward me, personally.  Thank you for reigning it in.  I find you to be very argumentative toward me no matter what thread we are on.....please stop trolling me.  God Bless.
[right][snapback]868885[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh come off it!

I happen to not find the T-shirt "racist," and find it funny, as do others here.
What [b]you[/b] consider racist or don't consider racist doesn't make it so or make it not so either.
The shirt is poking fun at Mayor Nagin's silly remarks, not his race.

People disagree on this, so let it drop, for crying out loud!

I think it's rather stupid and slanderous to make charges of "racism" at any one who is able to joke around about racial remarks. Such cheap charges of "racism" by the politically-correct actually belittle the seriousness of genuine racism.

Stop treating this as a personal matter. No one is trolling you. I would say the same things towards anyone who said the same things you are saying on this thread.
I simply happen to disagree with you on many of the things you post, as I disagree with many others on these boards. I am not singling you out.
You're just making yourself look silly with this stuff.

I'm done with this silly thread.

God bless.

Posted

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 28 2006, 11:28 PM']Oh come off it!

I happen to not find the T-shirt "racist," and find it funny, as do others here.
What [b]you[/b] consider racist or don't consider racist doesn't make it so or make it not so either.
The shirt is poking fun at Mayor Nagin's silly remarks, not his race.

People disagree on this, so let it drop, for crying out loud!

I think it's rather stupid and slanderous to make charges of "racism" at any one who is able to joke around about racial remarks.  Such cheap charges of "racism" by the politically-correct actually belittle the seriousness of genuine racism.

Stop treating this as a personal matter.  No one is trolling you.  I would say the same things towards anyone who said the same things you are saying on this thread.
I simply happen to disagree with you on many of the things you post, as I disagree with many others on these boards.  I am not singling you out.
You're just making yourself look silly with this stuff.

I'm done with this silly thread.

God bless.
[right][snapback]868921[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good, now we can get back to discussing how this t-shirt is racist.

It fits the definiton and it is offensive. It is as offensive as what Mayor Nagin said. I am not condoning his action, it was childish and stupid. I refuse to condone the racist nature of the t-shirt for the very same reason.

The racism is obvious, I think that it is sad, very sad.

Posted

[quote]The way liberals are so up-tight (and hypocritical) about anything even touching on race is absolutely ridiculous!
[/quote]

Suggesting that Camster is a liberal is fall off the chair "I can't believe anyone could say something that stupid" funny

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jan 28 2006, 11:46 PM']Suggesting that Camster is a liberal is fall off the chair "I can't believe anyone could say something that stupid" funny
[right][snapback]868929[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yep, that's me.....a bleeding heart libe......wait a minute.....does this mean that I have to give back my GOP membership card? I don't think that my precinct will like that very much.

That's right folks, I was a precinct chair in the last election. Oh, for the GOP. What did that get me? Lunch with President Bush when he was in Detroit last March. That's right folks, I was one of 500 invited to a celebration luncheon with President and Mrs. Bush. And it was fantastic.

Ash Wednesday
Posted

This thread is getting laughably ridiculous.

Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:32 AM']This thread is getting laughably ridiculous.
[right][snapback]869151[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're right, it is laughable. Isn't it funny how we veil our racism? First in a speech which uses the word "chocolate," then by "lampooning" Willy Wonka.

If I weren't so upset at the blatant racism, I suppose I would laugh. But, racism, in any form, is not a laughing matter.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

Its Not Racism. This is ridiculous.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 28 2006, 11:02 PM']i see. we have something like that as well. I am opposed to the idea of diversity jutst for the sake of diversity.
[right][snapback]868909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]



It's not just for the sake of diversity at my school. We need to exist at my school, because we do have a problem with racism and anti-Semitism so we try to educate others about this.

T-shirt is hilarious and not racist, it's just making fun of a politician who gave racist comments.

Edited by avemaria40
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

thats good. My School has an "affirmitive Action" mentality, and will purposely seek Minorities to come to the school to help make it more "diverese." Now that is racism.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don't think that's right either. I understand that discrimination still exists in this country, and I'm all for equal opportunities, but trying to diversify a population is racist because it's singling someone out for the color of their skin.

Edited by avemaria40
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jan 29 2006, 07:44 AM']Yeah, I don't think that's right either.  I understand that discrimination still exists in this country, and I'm all for equal opportunities, but trying to diversify a population is racist because it's singling someone out for the color of their skin.
[right][snapback]869157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you said it all right there!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...