An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ahem.....

Cam42

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 21 2006, 06:05 PM']You know what is not expressly forbidden?
Kazoos    :ninja:
Actually it may qualify as a reed instrument
[right][snapback]916850[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How about 'beekers?' Are 'beekers' allowed?

I'm also working on that thing for that thing about that thing for you.....I should have it done sometime this evening.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Cam42' date='Mar 21 2006, 02:11 PM']Pope Benedict XVI is reviewing plans for papal liturgical celebrations, the Vatican's top liturgist has disclosed.

Archbishop Piero Marini, the master of ceremonies for papal liturgies, spoke to the Italian internet site on March 20, during a visist to Milan for the publication of his book, Liturgy and Beauty. Archbishop Marini revealed that Pope Benedict XVI has been more demanding than his predecessor in watching plans for liturgical celebrations at the Vatican.

Second, this summer he is going to begin drafting his Apostolic Exhortation for October. A couple juicy predictions:

The Vatican source said that the exhortation would include an invitation to greater use of Latin in the daily prayer of the Church and in the Mass "with the exception of the Liturgy of the Word" as well as in large public and international Masses.

[b]The document would also encourage a greater use of Gregorian chant and classical polyphonic music; the gradual elimination of the use of songs whose music or lyrics are secular in origin, as well as [i][u]the elimination of instruments that are [color=red]"inadequate for liturgical use,"[/color] such as [color=blue]the electric guitar or drums,[/color][/u][/i] although it is not likely that specific instruments will be mentioned.[/b]

Lastly, the Pope is expected to call for "more decorum and liturgical sobriety in the celebration of the Eucharist, excluding dance and, as much as possible, applause."

All this from the author of the Spirit of the Liturgy. I'm shocked and appalled. ;)
All this from CWNews.....and I just called (via internet) my priest friend who works in Rome.....it is more or less a confirmation of what is actually going to happen....

Time to put the guitars away......aw' shucky darns (snaps fingers really hard)....it realllllllly breaks my heart......NOT!!!!!!!

And for a certain few.......how could it be that this pope is more attentive to the Liturgy than his predecessor?  Didn't I say something about that once or twice?
[right][snapback]916771[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

Brother Adam

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:26 PM']Amen!!

But on the other hand whatever the church says we should obey, no matter our preference.

Question for Cam42:
Your profile says "Lord and Master of Orthodoxy" is this something phatmass put there or did you do that. Just wondering.
[right][snapback]916786[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is his self appointed title. Anyone with 3150 posts can choose their own title.

:cool: sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

i'm gonna kazoo my way through the agnus dei next sunday! ;)

and woooohooooo on the new documents.... if they come out! Edited by kateri05

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:05 PM']You know what is not expressly forbidden?
Kazoos    :ninja:
Actually it may qualify as a reed instrument
[right][snapback]916850[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Cam42' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:06 PM']How about 'beekers?'  Are 'beekers' allowed?

[right][snapback]916854[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is this progress - six months ago kazoos were in the same category as acoustic guitars and pianos . . . :D: (as I recall, that was an offshoot of the guitar debate between hot stuff and Cam . . . )

Cow of Shame

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Mar 21 2006, 06:05 PM']You know what is not expressly forbidden?
Kazoos   
[/quote]

Are accordians allowed? What about Shaker Chimes?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Mar 21 2006, 10:50 PM']Are accordians allowed?
[right][snapback]917339[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Please no. The polka Mass I had to attend in Columbus once was enough for me.

missionseeker

[quote name='indescribable' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:18 PM']Are you going to expect young people to want that? We don't understand the beauty behind that. No one has ever taught us that. How am i going to tell my chior that they are not adequate to glorify God? Did God not tell us to praise him with the lyre?
[right][snapback]916777[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I read that and thought you were joking... then I realized you weren't. :(

I'm 17 and cannot stand LifeTeen music at Mass. I'll listen to on the radio, I even like when it's on the radio. Young people aren't the center of the world. Plus, we grow up and have you ever noticed how funny it looks/is when old people still think they are young. Think... 50 year old women in leopard print mini skirts.... The Rolling Stones at the Super Bowl. Also, we have brains and can learn for and think for ourselves. By saying "no one has ever taught us that" first, you are saying that [i]have[/i] to be taught to learn something. Not true. And 2, you are decieving yourself- the resources have been out there for years and years and years. There's EWTN, there are CD, books, videos. Shoot, there's even the Phatmass radio. It's all there.

When I go to college in the Fall, I will start and conduct a Gregorian Chant Schola (and I am scared to death so please pray for me) I have no idea why I applied to do this (o.k. I have an idea of why. lol) or even if I can do this after all. I hope I can and pray that I will be able to.

Anyway, to say no one has taught us is in fact, untrue.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:25 PM']When it is not done in an appropriate way.......

Here is what my mentor says on the subject.

[right][snapback]916785[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have a mentor now. (it's soo weird) Scott Turkington. Have you heard of him? He finished Dr. Marier's book [u]A Gregorian Chant Masterclass[/u]

Cow of Shame

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Mar 21 2006, 11:55 PM']Plus, we grow up and have you ever noticed how funny it looks/is when old people still think they are young. Think... 50 year old women in leopard print mini skirts....
[/quote]

Or 80 year old women in this...whatever it is....
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Cow_of_Shame/gramma.jpg[/img]

First, I still await the document....

Second, I don't have a problem w/ no [b]electric[/b] guitars. I do have a problem w/ excluding acoustic though. Drums I could also live without, but don't mind...

Third, regarding this:
[quote]Musical instruments [b]which by common acception[/b], and use are suitable only for secular music must be entirely excluded from all liturgical functions, and private devotions. (DMS no. 70)[/quote]

I'd argue that an acoustic guitar, at least, is commonly accepted as a liturgical instrument in this day and age.

Fourth, did I mention that I'll wait for the document to be released?

stbernardLT

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 21 2006, 06:08 PM']It is his self appointed title. Anyone with 3150 posts can choose their own title.
[right][snapback]917092[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That doesn't surprise me.

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Mar 22 2006, 09:34 AM']That doesn't surprise me.
[right][snapback]917707[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually it was suggested by another Phatmasser and Camster thought it was cute.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 22 2006, 08:36 AM']First, I still await the document....

Second, I don't have a problem w/ no [b]electric[/b] guitars.  I do have a problem w/ excluding acoustic though.  Drums I could also live without, but don't mind...

Third, regarding this:
I'd argue that an acoustic guitar, at least, is commonly accepted as a liturgical instrument in this day and age.

Fourth, did I mention that I'll wait for the document to be released?
[right][snapback]917656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think that would depend on the church and the diocese. We do not have any guitars in our church :)