An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ahem.....

Cam42

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 22 2006, 01:22 PM']My son plays beautiful classical guitar. They have a wonderful meditative quality and would perfect after Communion.
[right][snapback]918004[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I disagree....Mozart wrote some beautiful music, but not all of it is appropriate for Mass.

Guitars are not appropriate for the Liturgy. This has been spoken to several times and has yet to be refuted or substantiated.

Guitars, by common acception are secular in nature and therefore not acceptable at a Liturgical event.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Cam42' date='Mar 22 2006, 11:23 PM']I disagree....Mozart wrote some beautiful music, but not all of it is appropriate for Mass.

Guitars are not appropriate for the Liturgy.  This has been spoken to several times and has yet to be refuted or substantiated.

Guitars, by common acception are secular in nature and therefore not acceptable at a Liturgical event.
[right][snapback]918633[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hmm. hypothetical. Let's say everyone at Mass was mute or something and couldn't use their voice to sing. But all they had was a guitar. In that situation would it be allowable to have the guitar?

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 22 2006, 09:36 AM']
I'd argue that an acoustic guitar, at least, is commonly accepted as a liturgical instrument in this day and age.

[right][snapback]917656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Care to point to a solidified document which speaks to the guitar as being a commonly accepted liturgical instrutment?

I have already spoken to, several times, the use of small stringed instruments which can be played with a bow. The guitar is not one of them.

So, I'd like to see you make your argument.