An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why are all the guys over the age of 21

Balthazor

franciscanheart

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Apr 13 2006, 06:24 PM']I don't know.... He is pretty cute.  :drool:
[right][snapback]946534[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blink: :lol:

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Apr 13 2006, 06:26 PM']No....I smell of elderberries up compliments like a 88' Lynx smells of elderberries up oil. They are making me a vain egomaniac.

I am a ham...they got me pegged.
NOW you guys should all feel bad for leading me into sin! :annoyed:
[right][snapback]946538[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: :topsy:

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 14 2006, 07:08 AM']God always gets you when you least expect it.

i.e. When you're not looking, someone to look at will come along.
[right][snapback]947125[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In my experience, it seems that people who employ lines like "It will happen when you least expect it" or "It will happen in God's time" or "you're vocation is to be single" or "being single is not all that bad" are either practicing problem avoidance or just trying to give the brush-off but rubbing salt in the wound by adding a manipulative religious guilt trip to it. What good does it do when you've already thrown in the towel, or when a woman is past child-bearing years? People need to read James 2:15-16:

"If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, 'Good-bye and good luck! Keep warm and well fed', but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that?"

Take it from one of the singles here who has been dealing with the dating netherworld longer than some of you have been alive.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Apr 15 2006, 11:12 AM']In my experience, it seems that people who employ lines like "It will happen when you least expect it" or "It will happen in God's time" or "you're vocation is to be single" or "being single is not all that bad" are either practicing problem avoidance or just trying to give the brush-off but rubbing salt in the wound by adding a manipulative religious guilt trip to it.  What good does it do when you've already thrown in the towel, or when a woman is past child-bearing years?  People need to read James 2:15-16:

"If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, 'Good-bye and good luck!  Keep warm and well fed', but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that?"

Take it from one of the singles here who has been dealing with the dating netherworld longer than some of you have been alive.
[right][snapback]947950[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well, some people's vocation IS to be single and celibate. What would you say to our homosexual brothers and sisters?

And I don't know about others, but having a wife for me is not a bodily need.
As Balthazor put it earlier in this thread, if you don't have a mate life still goes on.

But hey, I have no quarells with carpe diem

A little while ago I was at a Lord's Day celibration at Franciscan U, and I prayed, "Lord, if you are calling me to the Priesthood, let your will be done...but Lord, if you are calling me to marraige, don't hesitate to send her my way"

:D:

franciscanheart

[quote name='zealousrap' date='Apr 15 2006, 01:31 PM']A little while ago I was at a Lord's Day celibration at Franciscan U, and I prayed, "Lord, if you are calling me to the Priesthood, let your will be done...but Lord, if you are calling me to marraige, don't hesitate to send her my way"

[right][snapback]948127[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: nice.

[quote name='zealousrap' date='Apr 15 2006, 12:31 PM']well, some people's vocation IS to be single and celibate. What would you say to our homosexual brothers and sisters?

And I don't know about others, but having a wife for me is not a bodily need.
As Balthazor put it earlier in this thread, if you don't have a mate life still goes on.
But hey, I have no quarells with carpe diem

A little while ago I was at a Lord's Day celibration at Franciscan U, and I prayed, "Lord, if you are calling me to the Priesthood, let your will be done...but Lord, if you are calling me to marraige, don't hesitate to send her my way"

[right][snapback]948127[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I dont think Norseman is a homosexual, so he's probably saying HE does not want to be single anymore, not so much putting down being single in general for the sake of the kingdom(Correct me if Im wrong)

I've heard a lot of singles say that single life is not a permenant state, but a temporary vocation. Personally, when I was single, I took that time to prepare myself for whatever vocation God had in store for me. I didn't see the single life as an option. I think its wrong to make singles feel like that thats it and they don't have a vocation to either married or religious life, or to tell them, "Just wait blah blah blah." There needs to be more ministry for people in the 25-whenever age bracket. There needs to be a place for people to meet other singles in the Church. There are plenty of ministries for young people, married couples, elderly, and those discerning a consecrated life, but nothing for people who are older and still searching. While I would still encourage patience, I don't think that it is enough being done to inspire.

Keyser Soze

Personally, there are things about single life I rather enjoy.

One is that I get to keep my money, and don't have to go shopping nearly as much as I did in the past.

Second, I can watch sports guilt free.

Third, no one plays with my stereo in my car anymore.

I have more...but I'll stop for now.

[quote name='Keyser Soze' date='Apr 15 2006, 12:48 PM']Personally, there are things about single life I rather enjoy.

One is that I get to keep my money, and don't have to go shopping nearly as much as I did in the past.

[right][snapback]948153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ive been with my boyfriend for almost 7 months and I have never done any of those things to my boyfriend. :idontknow: I think that kind of stuff is gay. :mellow:

JudgedByGod

[quote name='Luthien' date='Apr 15 2006, 03:41 PM']There needs to be more ministry for people in the 25-whenever age bracket. There needs to be a place for people to meet other singles in the Church. There are plenty of ministries for young people, married couples, elderly, and those discerning a consecrated life, but nothing for people who are older and still searching. While I would still encourage patience, I don't think that it is enough being done to inspire.
[right][snapback]948141[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Luthien' date='Apr 15 2006, 01:41 PM']There needs to be more ministry for people in the 25-whenever age bracket. There needs to be a place for people to meet other singles in the Church. There are plenty of ministries for young people, married couples, elderly, and those discerning a consecrated life, but nothing for people who are older and still searching. While I would still encourage patience, I don't think that it is enough being done to inspire.
[/quote]
I have friends who work in young adult ministry. And they work with the "25-whenever" age bracket. HOORAY FOR THEM :clap: Maybe one of them will want to move to Maine. ^_^

[quote name='Keyser Soze' date='Apr 15 2006, 12:48 PM']Personally, there are things about single life I rather enjoy.

[right][snapback]948153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hehehe. you are so strange. :P:

[quote name='Luthien' date='Apr 15 2006, 12:41 PM']I dont think Norseman is a homosexual, so he's probably saying HE does not want to be single anymore, not so much putting down being single in general for the sake of the kingdom(Correct me if Im wrong)

I've heard a lot of singles say that single life is not a permenant state, but a temporary vocation. Personally, when I was single, I took that time to prepare myself for whatever vocation God had in store for me. I didn't see the single life as an option. I think its wrong to make singles feel like that thats it and they don't have a vocation to either married or religious life, or to tell them, "Just wait blah blah blah." There needs to be more ministry for people in the 25-whenever age bracket. There needs to be a place for people to meet other singles in the Church. There are plenty of ministries for young people, married couples, elderly, and those discerning a consecrated life, but nothing for people who are older and still searching. While I would still encourage patience, I don't think that it is enough being done to inspire.
[/quote]

well for starters, I wasn't limiting the statement that some people's vocation is single celibate lives to homosexuals, I just used that as an example. People should be open to whatever calls us to. How do we know that everyone is not wholly fulfilling their calling just because they are not married?

I know it's not a good example, but www.catholicconnect.com is a dating service...and don't give me any of that meet online argument because how many people on Phatmass date...

but honestly, I would rather infiltrate the culture and renew it, bringing orthodox values and respect and honor to the dignity of people. Not saying that we aren't doing that, but I'm saying rather than devoting resources to finding diamonds in the rough, why not go for the gold and have that as the norm. I don't live in a dreamworld, though if you think so it's fine. But I don't think it is out of reach.

I think that God has a hand in everything we encounter, and that he will put the pieces together. I worry that people try to force things out of fear...but mabe that's just me. :idontknow:

I never suggested you live in the a dream world. I just don't agree with the single life being something you are obligated to stay in. When you're married, you stay married. When you're a priest or consecrated lady, you stay that way. When you're single, that state in life can change.

Say you're a missionary, and you happen to be single. Your vocation is not your singlehood, but being a missionary.

Vocation means the work that you do, you have a vocational counselor sometimes. It has a connotation that has certain duties that go along wiith it. Applied to a state of life, from that perspective, priest have a certain ministry that defines their vocation. The same with the married state, there are duties that are attributed to that state of life, such as the care of children.

Singlehood on the otherhand has no defined duties attributed it. I think there is a confusion with vocation and state in life.

And why would I give you issue with dating online? Its common knowlegdge, at least to those close to me, that I met Laudate_Dominum online. I have no issue with that choice as long as you take proper precautions.

I guess my biggest thing is that while I was in the single state at one point and felt like thats where I was supposed to be, I did not get from God that that was where I was supposed to stay throughout the rest of my life.