An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1002545' date='Jun 10 2006, 04:01 PM']
when u make a living doin that sort of thing, i guess u gotta stay pretty busy :D:
[/quote]
heh, :lol: true. very true.

Josef Pieper's [u]In Search of the Sacred[/u] is a good read.

ThyWillBeDone

I am on a Dostoevsky kick right now. He deals with some great themes like redemptive suffering, resurrection, sin etc. It a nice break from all the philosophy I have to read during the school year. Intresting enought two books by Josef Pieper (mentioned the post above) will be text for some of my classes next semester
God Bless

[quote name='ThyWillBeDone' post='1004140' date='Jun 12 2006, 08:10 PM']
I am on a Dostoevsky kick right now. He deals with some great themes like redemptive suffering, resurrection, sin etc.

[/quote]
I love Dostoevsky! Which of his books have you read so far?

ThyWillBeDone

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='1004518' date='Jun 13 2006, 08:55 AM']
I love Dostoevsky! Which of his books have you read so far?
[/quote]

The Brothers Karamazov (Best Book I ever read) and Crime and Punishment, and I just started the Idiot, and ordered Notes from the Underground and Demons from Borders.com. All translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, there versions are by far the best. What have you read by him and which was your favorite.
God Bless

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1001339' date='Jun 9 2006, 02:28 PM']
all things George Weigel:
[url="http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/Weigel/"]http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/Weigel/[/url]
[/quote]
:shock: amazing!!!

i've finished [u]The Gunslinger: The Dark Tower I[/u] and am now starting [u]The Drawing of the Three: The Dark Tower II[/u]

goldenchild17

Just finished the Da Vinci Code

Now I'm almost done with "The Immaculate Conception" by Bishop Ullathorne. This book is freakin awesome. Definitely the best contemporary work on the doctrine of Mary's sinlessness. Must read for all Catholics, especially apologists.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1004671' date='Jun 13 2006, 11:50 AM']am now starting [u]The Drawing of the Three: The Dark Tower II[/u][/quote]finished that...now reading [u]The Waste Lands: The Dark Tower III[/u] i have book fever :yawn: stayed up way too late last night reading :yawn:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1005694' date='Jun 14 2006, 03:22 PM']finished that...now reading [u]The Waste Lands: The Dark Tower III[/u] i have book fever :yawn: stayed up way too late last night reading :yawn:[/quote]finished that...now i'm reading [u]Wizard and Glass: The Dark Tower IV[/u] by Stephen King. i still have book fever, but couldn't stay up late last night because i was already tired :yawn:

plus, i'm still reading:

[u]Letters to a Young Catholic[/u] by George Weigel
[u]Prayer of the Warrior[/u] by Michael H. Brown (it's a little weird, but overall pretty good)
[u]Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux[/u]

[i]If Your Mind Wanders at Mass[/i] by Thomas Howard
[i]The Castles and the Crown- A Biography of Ferdinand and Isabella [/i] by Townsend Miller
[i]Knowledge and Faith[/i] by St. Edith Stein
[i]Brinckley Manor[/i] by PG Wodehouse
[i]Emma[/i] by Jane Austen
[i]The Social Contract[/i] by Rousseau
[i]The Prince[/i] by Machiavelli

- [i]The Imitation of Mary[/i] - Alexander de Rouville
- [i]Narnia[/i] series - C.S. Lewis
- [i]The Rhythm of Life: Living Everyday with Passion and Purpose[/i] by Matthew Kelly
- And of course, the Bible. :saint:

[i]The Imitation of Mary[/i] is rocking my socks! However, I must admit, my favorite book (other than the Bible) is St. Louis de Montfort's [i]True Devotion[/i] -- that book changed my life! [i]The Imitation of Mary[/i] might be a close 2nd.

If only there was more time in the day to read...

:nerd:

Guest Fear_of_a_Catholic_Planet

It's the Chronic- (what?) -cles of Narnia! (All seven books. It's been a long time since I've read 'em, and boy is my perspective different.) :D:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1006184' date='Jun 15 2006, 09:40 AM']finished that...now i'm reading [u]Wizard and Glass: The Dark Tower IV[/u] by Stephen King. i still have book fever, but couldn't stay up late last night because i was already tired :yawn:

plus, i'm still reading:

[u]Letters to a Young Catholic[/u] by George Weigel
[u]Prayer of the Warrior[/u] by Michael H. Brown (it's a little weird, but overall pretty good)
[u]Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux[/u][/quote]i've finished all these books except [u]Story of a Soul[/u]. I've finished [u]The Dark Tower V[/u] and am now reading [u]The Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower VI[/u] (almost done, too).

when i get paid next week, i'm buying 3 more books at the Catholic bookstore and 3 books online (novels) from Amazon.com.

brandelynmarie

isn't Amazon.com the greatest place for books? :D: So is Ignatius Press...Now I'm reading...

[i]Father Elijah[/i] by Michael O'Brien

[i]The Prison Angel: Mother Antonia's Life of Service in a Mexican Jail[/i] by Mary Jordan & Kevin Sullivan (Servants of the 11th Hour...accepts late vocations!)

And I just finished [i]90 Minutes in Heaven[/i] by Don Piper with Cecil Murphey (near death experience by a Baptist Minister)

Ummmm...That's about it for now...I think... :blush: