An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

brandelynmarie

I'm reading several books about Dominican life...including a child's book on the life of St. Dominic! Ummmm....what else, [i]The Little Monk[/i] which is more about growth in the spiritual life...Tindomiel, I'm glad you are a bibliomaniac too! :blush:

Oh! And I'm trying to get into [i]Catholicism For Dummies[/i]!

Edited by brandelynmarie

missionseeker

[quote name='ThyWillBeDone' post='1004140' date='Jun 12 2006, 07:10 PM']
I am on a Dostoevsky kick right now. He deals with some great themes like redemptive suffering, resurrection, sin etc. It a nice break from all the philosophy I have to read during the school year. Intresting enought two books by Josef Pieper (mentioned the post above) will be text for some of my classes next semester
God Bless
[/quote]

I'm reading [i]the Brothers Karamzov[/i] right now

if anyone has any of these books they are willing to part with for a price less than shown on the page please PM me. Also if you know of any really cool cheap websites that not many people know about to buy books, let me know

[url="http://direct.mbsbooks.com/cgi-vb/ndAdoptions.mac/adoptions?&CSID=MC20CQU0MQU0OKD2DK2UTT&UVAL=76089"]http://direct.mbsbooks.com/cgi-vb/ndAdopti...2UTT&UVAL=76089[/url]

Thanks

puellapaschalis

De geloofsbelijdenis van de kerk: katholieke katechismus voor volwassenen.

Good for my faith and good for my Dutch. Two birds with one stone.

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1033137' date='Jul 28 2006, 07:34 PM']

Oh! And I'm trying to get into [i]Catholicism For Dummies[/i]!
[/quote]
That book makes me roll. :rolling:

Just the whole idea.... It looks really good though from what I saw of a copy.

Guest JeffCR07

Ok, this one will really give away my dorkiness, but I'm currently on volume four of Fr. Frederick Copleston's [u]History of Philosophy[/u]...I love it, lol. :lol_roll:

VeniteAdoremus

PP, I'll bring my Dutch CCC (we call it the KKK... :rolleyes:) next week!

To keep up with the Saint's calendar, I'm reading a book on St. Ignatius of Loyala which my dad received as a price at high school... and then it already was an old edition of an old book. They use olde Dutch spelling.

(For PP: Spanje was geen plaats voor hem, wijl het, in schijn levend, slechts een gezwachtelde mummie was, die in het stof zou vallen, zoodra haar banden werden verwijderd.)

Translation: Spain was not a place for him, as long as it, living in (insert proper alternative for 'fakeness'), was but a bound mummy, which would fall into the dust, as soon as her swothels doth be removed.

I'm afraid I'm laughing about the language too much. But the book is excellent. :)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='1035407' date='Aug 1 2006, 09:43 AM']
That book makes me roll. :rolling:
Just the whole idea.... It looks really good though from what I saw of a copy.
[/quote]

I'm guessing it's like a simpler catechism...yep! I find ithe title very funny too...I showed it to one of the girls at work & she's like..."Why on earth would YOU ever need that?!?!?" I had some explaining to do... :blush:

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='1035409' date='Aug 1 2006, 09:45 AM']
Ok, this one will really give away my dorkiness, but I'm currently on volume four of Fr. Frederick Copleston's [u]History of Philosophy[/u]...I love it, lol. :lol_roll:
[/quote]
Sounds awesome, actually. I think the history of philosophy is tremendously fascinating. In the informal philosophy class my priest is hosting for young people in the parish right now, we're touching quite a lot on that subject. It really helps to bring certain philosophical schools into perspective, when you have some idea where they came from, what other philosophies influenced them, and so forth.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1035399' date='Aug 1 2006, 03:30 PM']
:D: You are too funny puella! :saint:
[/quote]

I am? :whistle:

I actually have a very good reason to need to know my Catechism in Dutch. Soon I hope to be able to tell the Vocation Station why :getaclue:

PP

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1035418' date='Aug 1 2006, 03:57 PM']
(For PP: Spanje was geen plaats voor hem, wijl het, in schijn levend, slechts een gezwachtelde mummie was, die in het stof zou vallen, zoodra haar banden werden verwijderd.)
[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='1035430' date='Aug 1 2006, 08:21 AM']
Sounds awesome, actually. I think the history of philosophy is tremendously fascinating. In the informal philosophy class my priest is hosting for young people in the parish right now, we're touching quite a lot on that subject. It really helps to bring certain philosophical schools into perspective, when you have some idea where they came from, what other philosophies influenced them, and so forth.
[/quote]

Yea, I think your priest has it right: Understanding the ideas and systems in philosophy make a whole lot more sense when you actually understand the historical context in which the systems and ideas arise. For me, I like to think of philosophy as one big argument, with one thinker arguing against someone else, and then a new thinker responding to him, etc etc. It makes it more interesting to imagine philosophical giants duking it out :D: :lol_roll:

franciscanheart

[u]The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice[/u] by Philip Jenkins

I'm only on page nine and I already have a hard time putting it down.

Mitchell_b55

Currently reading [u]Confessors of the Name[/u], by deceased [b]Gladys Schmidt[/b]. It takes place in Rome, during the reign of [i]Decius[/i], who is a main character, and very well developed. The main characters include [i]Favorinus Herenius[/i] or the House of Herenii, and his family. A freedwomen, [i]Charis[/i], who is Greek and also Favorinus' mistress. [i]Paulina [/i] and [i]Probus [/i] a Christian Couple who are realted to the Herenii. [i]Elder Cornelius[/i], later [i]Bishop Cornelius[/i], who coincidently as the Bishop of Rome is listed as 21st pope. [i]Bishop Fabian[/i], his predecessor makes an appearance as the first martyr of the reign of [i]Decius[/i]. The [i]Elder Novatian [/i] who becomes the second Antipope. The book has a well established historical setting and plays out history through the actions of a few individual Roman
citizens.

It is a times infuriating because you feel the author has made a mistake and made a mockery of Christianity, but later corrects it and shows it for what it is the action of one faulty individual in error. I have not yet finished it, though it is going well. [i]Favorinus [/i] is having a difficult time accepting Christianity and I hope the character is converted by the end of the book.

Not my usual preference when it comes to genre, but extremely good, published in 1952.

Edited by petrus_scholasticus