An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

franciscanheart

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1055190' date='Sep 1 2006, 12:12 PM']
I just finished [i]In this house of Brede[/i] yesterday evening; I'm going back to Ratzinger's [i]Spirit of the Liturgy[/i] now, I think.

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]
I want to read this one! :drool:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1096992' date='Oct 20 2006, 03:39 PM']
I want to read this one! :drool:
[/quote]
yup, u should ;) Spirit of the Liturgy is freakin sweet

angelusdomini

Just finished "St. Francis" by G.K. Chesterton. This was really good- I like Mr. Chesterton's style. I briefly picked up hi short introduction to "St. Thomas Aquinas"- The Dumb Ox, but didn't get a chance to finish it, some other time I suppose. I have been reading for the past couple of weeks "Introduction to Christianity" by then Cardinal Ratzinger (now BXVI). I also just picked up "The Perfect Joy of St. Francis" by Felix Timmermans- this has come highly recommended by some Franciscans I know. I'll let you know how it goes. It has begun well thus far though. It is a novel. I also read over the summer "The Theology of the Body" by JPII and "The Gospel of Life" and "Humanae Vitae (Paul VI) which were part of "the Theology of the Body" copy.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Angelus_Domini' post='1097963' date='Oct 21 2006, 05:48 PM']
Just finished "St. Francis" by G.K. Chesterton. This was really good- I like Mr. Chesterton's style. I briefly picked up hi short introduction to "St. Thomas Aquinas"- The Dumb Ox, but didn't get a chance to finish it, some other time I suppose. I have been reading for the past couple of weeks "Introduction to Christianity" by then Cardinal Ratzinger (now BXVI). I also just picked up "The Perfect Joy of St. Francis" by Felix Timmermans- this has come highly recommended by some Franciscans I know. I'll let you know how it goes. It has begun well thus far though. It is a novel. I also read over the summer "The Theology of the Body" by JPII and "The Gospel of Life" and "Humanae Vitae (Paul VI) which were part of "the Theology of the Body" copy.
[/quote]
I've not heard of The Perfect Joy of Saint Francis. I'm interested so please do keep us updated on how it is going.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1096996' date='Oct 20 2006, 02:42 PM']
:huh:
[/quote]
[quote]The question of discerning a vocation is agonized over by many generous young Catholics today. A solid Thomist, who wrote this book in 1961, Father Butler shows that this type of question shows a totally wrong approach to a religious vocation - an approach that began with misguided theology in the 20th century, which then trickled down to the popular level, confusing both aspirants and spiritual directors. Though Fr. Butler deals primarily with vocations to the religious life, he also gives the classic guidelines on priestly vocations. The author states, based on the tradition of the Church, that religious vocation is not uncommon, rare or extraordinary and that it does not require an introspective search for some special voice or attraction. This book provides welcome, intelligent guidance both for spiritual directors and for those considering the religious life or that of the priesthood![/quote]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Allrighty! I have not finished any of the books required for my religious classics class and we have just started reading the Life of St. Teresa of Avila. It is so beautiful I may end up finishing it this time... what is sad is that I didn't even finish reading Matrin Luther's 90 page On Christian Liberty...

I like St. Teresa though :)

[i]Dilbert and Way of the Weasel[/i] by Scott Adams :lol:
[i]Story of a Soul[/i]---- again
[i]The History of Philosophy[/i] by Fr. Copleston

as soon as I finish Ted Bell's "Pirate" (and I should have this awesome thriller finished by week's end) I will be diving into the non-fiction "Spies in the Vatican" by David Alvarez

I already started "Spies" a little, hehe - but first things first...

This might sound weird, but my "blow it this month" budget, ala, reward for myself for making thru finals is 300-500$, i am wondering what books or series or anything I should consider getting.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1104408' date='Oct 29 2006, 08:03 PM']
This might sound weird, but my "blow it this month" budget, ala, reward for myself for making thru finals is 300-500$, i am wondering what books or series or anything I should consider getting.
[/quote]

If you've got that kind of bank to invest, have you considered the Ancient Christian Commentary series from Intervarsity? Or maybe one of the LOGOS electronic libraries? www.logos.com (I'm a junkie.)

Also, I'm pretty stoked about the Loyola Classics series starting up (www.loyolabooks.org). Amy Welborn is involved among others...they're Catholic fiction, much of which I haven't heard of previously.

• 2 weeks later...

[i]John Adams[/i] by David McCullough
[i]Theology of the Body Explained[/i] by Christopher West
tons more Agatha Christie. At the rate I've been reading them, I'm pleasantly astounded that I haven't read them all yet.