An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

goldenchild17

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1009245' date='Jun 20 2006, 02:39 PM'][i]Father Elijah[/i] by Michael O'Brien[/quote]

O just read that for the 2nd time. Now I'm reading Michael O'Brien's "Eclipse of the Sun" for the second time.

I'm also reading "The Devil's Final Battle" by Father Paul Kramer, but wouldn't really recommend it to the people on this board though I'm loving it.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1006184' date='Jun 15 2006, 09:40 AM'][u]Prayer of the Warrior[/u] by Michael H. Brown (it's a little weird, but overall pretty good)[/quote]i gotta say that i wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. i dunno, it was interesting :mellow:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1009245' date='Jun 20 2006, 03:39 PM']isn't Amazon.com the greatest place for books? :D: So is Ignatius Press...Now I'm reading...[/quote]i get my 'secular' books from amazon.com and then my 'religious' books from the local Catholic bookstore so i can support them. but yeah, amazon's great!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1009252' date='Jun 20 2006, 04:50 PM']
O just read that for the 2nd time. Now I'm reading Michael O'Brien's "Eclipse of the Sun" for the second time.

I'm also reading "The Devil's Final Battle" by Father Paul Kramer, but wouldn't really recommend it to the people on this board though I'm loving it.
[/quote]

goldenchild, why wouldn't you recommend "The Devil's Final Battle"? It sounds interesting... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
heavenseeker

last night i started reading my my confirmation book. it weird because i dont rember having it 5 years ago when i was confirmed. so far it has been a great review.

brandelynmarie

Ok.... :book: :blush: ....I'm currently reading:

[i]Arise From Darkness[/i] by Fr. Benedict Groeshel

[i]Contemplative Prayer[/i] by Thomas Merton (actually, I haven't started it just yet!)

and I finished [i]Hostage to the Devil[/i] by Fr. Malachi Martin.....I actually will have a hard time recommending this book because of the disturbing descriptions of the exorcisms...but my respect for exorcists & what they suffer for the salvation of souls has increased a hundredfold... :priest_halo: :seesaw: ....My main understanding of evil right now is that it's hallmarks are confusion, lies & hatred...The book really did help me to see this more clearly...& that so much of what passes as entertainment in this world is straight from you-know-who... :devil:

goldenchild17

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1009300' date='Jun 20 2006, 04:06 PM']
goldenchild, why wouldn't you recommend "The Devil's Final Battle"? It sounds interesting... :blush:
[/quote]

Oh it is, but it is a bit critical of the Church post-Vatican II. It's mostly about the alleged suppression of the message of Fatima by the Vatican. Great book, but nothing you guys would care much for probably :).

Fides_et_Ratio

I'm reading [u]Truth and Tolerance[/u] by Ratzinger/Pope Benedict XVI and then hoping to finish up his [u]Milestones[/u] and [u]Many Religions, One Covenant[/u] which I started quite a while ago.

I'm hoping to finish up the dozen or so books that I started and read about half-way through without finishing last semester.

just finished [u]The Book Thief[/u] by Mark Zusak (sp?). a very good book, not a religious book per se, but very good nonetheless.

Fidei Defensor

[i]The Imitation of Christ[/i] by Thomas a Kempis, and the 5th Harry Potter book.

Guest CatoTheElder

The History of the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
The Federalist Papers - Madison, Hamilton, Jay

Afraid nothing of a religious nature...

Fides_et_Ratio

Oy vey! Please tell me you are reading Thucydides out of compulsion for some class and not for leisure!!!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1017188' date='Jul 4 2006, 04:25 PM']
Oh it is, but it is a bit critical of the Church post-Vatican II. It's mostly about the alleged suppression of the message of Fatima by the Vatican. Great book, but nothing you guys would care much for probably :).
[/quote]

Ah! I understand...thank you for your honesty!

she_who_is_not

Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy for the millioneth time. Everyone should read these books. Sigrid Undset is amazing.

I'm working on two books right now.
1. Doing the Truth in Love by Fr. Michael J. Himes.....a great read
2. Because I live in the deep south, The Rapture Trap by Paul Thigpen (its a subject of great interest around here!)