An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

I am Reading Sacred Reading my Michael Casey. It has been a very helpful book for my prayer life, for I have been searching for a way to get into prayerfully reading the bible, and the way that Casey explains Lectio Divina is wonderfully practical.

Fides_et_Ratio

I'm almost done with [u]Waiting for Godot[/u]--it's not as thoughtful as I was expecting.

I also got [u]Faith According to St. John of the Cross[/u] from the library and am planning to keep checking it out until they let me buy it. lol.

I read Rome Sweet Home and Mere Christianity. I like Orthodox by GK Chesterton but I can only read one chapter at a time b/c I'm absorbing everything. I would like to get more books though. Studying Catholicism is fun :)

Any reccomendations for a beginning apologist?

Exerpts from the [i]Summa[/i]
[i]De Trinitate[/i] by Boethius
[i]Sense and Sensibility[/i] by Jane Austen
[i]The Moving Finger [/i] by Agatha Christie
St. Augustine's commentary on the Sermon on the Mount...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I just finished [i]The Priviledge of Being a Woman[/i]. It was a good book I think :) I wish that I didn't have to read it in spread out spurts, but I got most of the messages and lessons in there. I really enjoyed it, but now I have to pick the next book to read! I have about 100 now that need to be read. :disguise:

puellapaschalis

Cardinal Ratzinger: The Vatican's Enforcer of the Faith
God's Revoluton (re-read)

Love and prayers,

PP

brandelynmarie

Thief of Time by Terry Patchet...very dry humor...very funny!

and An Infinity of Little Hours...This is about 5 novices in a Carthusian Monastery in the 1960's...

Edited by brandelynmarie

Well, at the moment, I currently in Catholicism and Fundamentalism, The Catholic Verses, Life of Pi, Frankenstein, The Bartimaeus Trilogy Bk 1: The Amulet of Samarkand, and (I hope I don't get stoned for saying this), but I'm rereading the Da Vinci Code. C'mon, you've got to admit that he's a pretty good story teller even though he doesn't measure up to being the equally good historian, and so what if some of the things in his book are outlandish like an old man getting shot and then going a measurable distance down a hall and then taking all his clothes off and folding them and laying them neatly in a pile and then arranging himself in a weird position and drawing on himself, not to mention writing in pen around himself and then creating a big circle and only having a little blood come out of his shot wound? It's an enthralling story. Sorry for the huge paragraph, I just don't want a huge list of comments proceeding from this one mentioning of the Da Vinci Code.

fearundercontrol

I'm attempting to read multiple books at the same time. It's not working out as well as I'd like, as they aren't exactly getting read evenly, if you know what I mean. I am reading:

[i]Salvifici Doloris--On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering[/i] by Pope John Paul II
[i]On the Way to Jesus Christ[/i] by Pope Benedict XVI
[i]Divine Mercy In My Soul[/i] by St. Faustina
and re-reading, by order of my spiritual director, [i]Story of a Soul[/i] by St. Thérèse of Lisieux

I also picked up a couple others a while ago but haven't touched them in at least a year probably, so I'm not counting those. I'll pick them back up once I've finished the ones I'm working on now.

Next time, I'm doing one book at a time...definitely no more than two!!

brandelynmarie

I'm able to juggle :juggle: multiple books :book: :book: :book:(makes me happy!)...but weirdly enough I'm not good at multitasking much else...:blush:

I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading at least three books at one time. It's quite a tenacious habit. I'm now working on:

[i]The Four Loves[/i] by CS Lewis
[i]Brideshead Revisited[/i] by Evelyn Waugh
[i]Metaphysics[/i] by Aristotle
[i]Fides et Ratio[/i] by Pope John Paul II
[i]Leisure: the Basis of Culture[/i] by Josef Pieper
and [i]The Uses of Knowledge[/i] by St. John Neuman

[i]Wild at Heart[/i] by John Eldredge, this is such a great book for every christian man who feels that they are condemned to just being "nice" if they are to be christian. I'd say a must read for anyone who wants to know how to bust out, but stay in the Church.